jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Website Backlinks - Proper Way?

1. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I am updating my website and will start linking back to it but is there a right and wrong way to link? I read that the link must be consistent for the greatest amount of power with google. Their example was either use the website with no "/" at the end or consistently with the "/".

I don't see the difference - is there a difference? For HubPages it takes me to the same place. Perhaps I misunderstood their guidance.

1. lobobrandon profile image82
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think you mean no follow and follow

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

She's talking about http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … slash.html

No, generally there should NOT be a difference, though sometimes coded redirects or page scripts will accidentally cause one to be different.

Google just suggests being consistent.  Your page resolves either way; choose a style and stick to it.

Oh I'll go through it now smile

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

There's another related example that Google didn't mention on that page.

Generally speaking, you'd expect blah.com/ and blah.com/index.html  (or index.php etc.) to resolve identically too, but (again) sometimes scripts and redirects cause those to be different.

What Google really cares about is if you are trying to mess with their heads.  Their bots want to see what people see and they want to put your link in their results so that it ends up being what it was when they saw it.

Cool thanks smile Makes no diff to me as I don't backlink big_smile

working