jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What about groups?

1. 0
    Ananta65posted 7 years ago

Although I do appreciate the new layout of the profile page, I was wondering. What about them groups? Why not use these, rather than tags to present the Hubber’s hubs? The arrangement by topic now is quite arbitrary if you ask me.
    Actually, why would I even go through the trouble of putting my hubs into groups if it hardly serves any purpose (other than the navigation at the bottom of each hub)?

1. Lissie profile image86
      Lissieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL that's exactly the point! Its a navigational aid between hubs - the profile page (which is a lot newer in this format) is a way of displaying just the"latest" "hot" best hubs which used to show.

Ive found that I am getting a broader readership to hubs which have been invisible for ever.  The grouping is easy to manipulate - for example - I decided I wanted to keep my ipod series together so they are all tagged "review" - and they are the ONLY hubs of mine which are tagged reviews  -so guess what - so long as one of them is hot or new - they show - which was my intention.

2. 0

I understand what you mean, Lissie. But I figure the tags are not just for grouping your hubs, are they? They are also for driving traffic to your hubs. For you maybe it’s different, but I’ve got hubs in different groups that have the same tags. Like I said, I do like the new layout. I just think that the groups-functionality could be used for more than just as this navigational aid at the bottom of a hub.

1. Lissie profile image86
      Lissieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

AFAIK the tags only drive internal hubpages traffic via the topics on the front page and now the groupings on your profile. Obviously being on the front page makes google "notice" but I don't think the tags themselves directly influence google: google is looking at the url/title/h2 tags etc

3. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

I'd rather keep it by tags. I mean, if you make the profile page by groups, the hubs will never change unless you constantly write to the groups that are on your profile page. I'd rather it be by tags somehow so that the hubs will change.

I'd just rather be able to pick my tags, as I tend to use a lot of the same tags throughout my hubs, which means that since I use them a lot, the hubs on my profile should change when I publish new hubs with that tag.

1. 0
      Ananta65posted 7 years ago in reply to this

You'll still be able to pick your own tags. One does not exclude the other. Moreover, your hubs can change within its group as you publish them.

1. Whitney05 profile image68
        Whitney05posted 7 years ago in reply to this

No, for the profile page. You can't pick the tags for the profile page, and if you have it set for groups, then the tags shouldn't matter bc  the hubs will be chosen bc of the group they're in versus the tags that you use for the hubs. Unless, you're talking about choosing the tag and the group, and I think that would be a lot of coding. I don't know though.

4. blogdigz profile image61
    blogdigzposted 7 years ago

Nice discussion smile I think HP team is considering the idea.

5. 0

Well, Whitney and Lissie sure have a point, but I still think that the grouping mechanism can be used for more than it is now. So it would sure be nice if the HP team could come up with something smile