jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Lost My 1st Page Google Rank

1. margaretjd profile image79
    margaretjdposted 7 years ago

Now, it was a complete fluke that my How to Use Set Notation hub was number four on Google (even above Wikipedia and eHow for a while) for a few weeks, but I got used to it... got to feelin' like I was something special. As of this week though, I'm on the second page, listed differently and not getting any page hits, so I'm feeling lowly again.  Actually, I've had very few views on any of my Hubs since last Wednesday. Previously, I'd get a few each day and it was very consistent.

Any insights into why this happens? Just wondering smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

Fame is fleeting. Don't let it discourage you.
    Look for your next 15 minutes of fame-- it may become an hour at some point.
    Keep contributing and commenting. After a while you won't notice the fluctuating statistics so much.  Sometimes, though, I think it is a carrot on the sstick that keeps us trying.

3. 0
    terrygposted 7 years ago

Hello Margaret, I see on G you had quite some competition, over one million other sites.

Therein lies your answer. Those other page 1 sites have more linking power and age on their side to knock yours back to page 2.

You will find you hit page 1 of G only due to new content before the search engine settled down and returned to its normal algorithms, age, links, authority, relevance etc..

So to get back to page 1 you need more links pointing at that hub. If its a good how to why not put it on wiki yourself. Thats is a very powerful link to have.

Hope this helps.

4. thranax profile image60
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Mine did the same thing =\ I was #1 out of 17million results... really blows tbh!

5. Milla Mahno profile image57
    Milla Mahnoposted 7 years ago

Is it important to get there?

6. margaretjd profile image79
    margaretjdposted 7 years ago

Thanks everybody!

Since I'm usually so busy with my other writing work, I've never really put much effort into linking. Wiki, hmmm... I'll look into that. As for my fleeting fame, well it was fun to see my hub above eHow, since I originally wrote it as an eHow (through Demand Media). Ironically, their format does not support most set notation symbols.

"Is it important to get there?" Not sure. though I had page hits, it wasn't a huge number, and I saw no revenue. I think perhaps those who need help with set notation don't have a lot of discretionary cash, and so don't click on ads. smile

1. 0
      terrygposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's a shame as it would be good to see what type of money that keyword would return.

I still think your onto something, so don't give up!!

7. EpicTreeHouse profile image60
    EpicTreeHouseposted 7 years ago

Milla if you are number 1 on Google you get significantly more clicks than number 2 and 2 gets more clicks than 3 and so on and so forth.  Once you are in number 1 position you can work to monetize your site in other ways than the ad sense.  So it is important to drive traffic and for you to decide which hubs to monetize and which ones not to waste your time on.  I hope this answers your question Milla.

8. Milla Mahno profile image57
    Milla Mahnoposted 7 years ago

Aha! So it's all about money! The higher you are, the more you get. That I can understand and appreciate smile

Thank you EpicTree and Margaret!

Now, if anybody can tell me how to get to the first place?