jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Can I post translations?

1. iviskei profile image81
    iviskeiposted 4 years ago

I've been translating a Japanese novel into English for fun but...would I be allowed to post my translations as a hub? Proper credits would go to the author of course.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Unless it's your original novel you'd be violating the copyrights of the author who wrote it.

3. iviskei profile image81
    iviskeiposted 4 years ago

I heard that copyright laws were different in Japan, which is why I asked. Thanks for the prompt reply.

4. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago

Works authored by an individual, under their own name or a known pseudonym, are protected for fifty years following the individual's death.

This is copied from Wikipedia (Japan copyright law) so consider the source.  There was something about work being held in public places (libraries?) which allowed them to be copied.  You should probably go to Japan's equivilent of the U.S. Library of Congress to read the law.

5. MelissaBarrett profile image62
    MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago

This is ONE of the laws pertaining to international copyright law...  There are several others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Conv … stic_Works

6. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

You might also want to read this recent article that suggests that Google may now be looking at translated content as being duplicated.

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/21 … Duplicates

7. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago

Best and easiest way to use HubPages.

Use your own, original, not found anywhere else in the world information on your Hubs.

That way, you will not violate the ToS of the site.

8. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 4 years ago

Japan's copyright law is pretty lax over derivatives of a work, specifically fan fiction.

Translations aren't quite as lax. Fansubs and fan translation of anime and manga exist because the companies on Japan accept it - essentially giving consent. They could take legal action if they chose to. Without some form of consent, you have to wait for the copyright to expire.

For translations, you can use "Fair Use" to post it if the work is still copyrighted, but that means you make the text noncommercial: no ads, no amazon, no ebay, no earnings whatsoever.

9. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

Of course, there is always the option of contacting the author and asking if he/she would permit a translation to be published. Personally, I would be highly flattered by such a request, although I might wish to reassure myself of the linguistic/stylistic quality of the translation.

10. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago

No is the short answer.

Copyright is effective in country of use, irrespective of country of origin. So if you are living in the UK and you are translating a Japanese book. You need to see your rights and privileges for use of copyright material in the UK.

So whilst Japan may not care, they certainly will to the full extant of the law in the UK.

As to suggestion of fair use, there is no fair use unless the author establishes a respect of right for another person to use as such. Doesn't matter if there is no commercial use, fair use doesn't exist unless the creator/owner of copyright material says so.

Whilst copyright can seem a complex issue a really good guide is - unless you have explicit permission to use the material from the copyright holder, don't use it.