jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Views in "my account" off by ~22% in comparison to Analytics

1. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 4 years ago

I know that views in "my account" are based on a 24 hour period and not a calendar day. That said, all through yesterday when I checked my account, it didn't show a number related to traffic Analytics is reporting for yesterday.

Since I didn't check my analytics until this morning, I could only compare the number from yesterday (analytics) to my 24 hour number (hubpages.)

I'm seeing a 22% difference in traffic between hubpages and analytics, with analytics having the higher number.

Anyone experiencing the same? What could be causing it?

I'm pulling the number in Analytics from the "content overview" line graph in case that could have something to do with it. (I figured perhaps unique v total number of pageviews could be the difference.)

Additionally, I block my own IP in Analytics so my own views don't show up, so if anything I'd think my account here on HubPages would have the higher number given that I'm unable to discount my own views here.

The numbers I'm seeing are:
    22% difference for yesterday
    11% difference for the past seven days
    5% difference for the past 30 days

1. CyclingFitness profile image91
      CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I often see different information in terms of daily views per hub in analytics so tend to take it as a general idea.

22% however is a big difference

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

The two sites use different criteria to calculate views.  You'll never be able to get them to match up.

1. melbel profile image92
      melbelposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Relache. smile

When I checked my Analytics later, they changed to a lower number, much closer to HPs number.

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

It's more than just criteria.  HP probably gets stats from their server.  Analytics needs a bit of JavaScript to contact the Google servers and it won't always load fully and if it does it can have trouble reporting.

If you run Adsense, you'll see that Analytics always misses some of that, too. Same reason,