jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)

Please refrain from fan mail!

1. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 5 years ago

I've updated my profile with a real picture of me, so ladies please try and keep the fan mail down! Seriously though, is it better for me to have a photo of myself (however ugly) or to use my more generic icon:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5880761.jpg

1. Richard Craig profile image75
      Richard Craigposted 5 years ago in reply to this

With a hubber score of 100 I think the ladies will come whatever your avatar looks like wink 

I changed my avatar 2 weeks ago from a mugshot, which I displayed for 2 years, to this self designed avatar.  So far I can't work out if it's actually made any difference.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image61
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Awww!  You're a cutie!  Don't be so hard on yourself.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

nice! and congrats on the 100.

BTW, did you see this? smile
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/12/honorable-mention/

SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes I did and it was much appreciated - just knowing that my work is appreciated is great!!!

2. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for letting us know about this. One of my poems was mentioned!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

ha ha ha....fan mail is on the way...sealed with a kiss too!

...i like the pic of you better than your generic avatar

...keep on smiling!

1. habee profile image91

Ditto! Keep the pic!

3. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 5 years ago

I think it's cool. I like when people use their faces in their avatars.

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I tend to like the real picture - at least when it comes to people who aren't me.   I'd vote for your leaving up your perfectly nice, real, picture.   

I had the same Earth picture up for almost four years. I had no intention of putting anything real online because besides the identity-theft concern, in real life what I look like doesn't match what I am - and it can cause some problems.  I figured I didn't have to introduce that complication to online writing.  I was dead-set against putting a real picture and turned down some decent opportunities when putting a "professional head shot" was required.  My thinking with the Earth avatar was that I had selected a picture that represented things about me better than even a partial picture of my face would.  A whole lot of thought and analysis went into that picture, but - you know what? - nobody would/could have a clue about what all that "deep thought" and reasoning behind selecting it was.  lol  I was fine knowing that I was the only one who knew "the meaning" behind the Earth picture (which I still use in a lot of places).

Then there was the "threat" (or implied threat, not sure) that Google would be more likely to send traffic to someone who had a real picture up.  I figured I'd compromise and put a part of a real picture up.  smile  I actually did seem to better traffic and earnings-wise, and Google put the picture next to my stuff on the search pages.  I just figured there's this big, new, push to encourage real pictures and discourage anonymous identities; so I'd better go along with it (sort of).

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

....your new look is a good one Lisa - i like it!

1. Lisa HW profile image83
        Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you.  (I'm not sure I do, though.  smile  ).

5. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

I think real pictures make more sense too.

I did a quick survey of top hubbers vs. lower - the top people are more likely to have a real picture.

That might mean nothing, but I suspect it does.

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I remember Pcunix's research regarding 70+ and the top 20 or something big_smile
      It was great but on a minor scale - a one man army can't conquer the world smile

6. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 5 years ago

I have had a series of real pictures of fictional characters.  I think that best describes the real me, since I am basically a kind of fictional character.  The real reason I don't use my image is I don't like to see my face pop up every time I post in the forums (which is a lot!), it has nothing to do with what other people think.  I've come a long way, according to my therapist!  lol

7. Rosie2010 profile image84
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

I like your real pic, SimeyC.  I'll try my best not to write a fan mail, but it's going to be tough.. you're soooo hot! wink

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought simey was a girl!!!

I might be - just very hairy in my family lol

1. habee profile image91

I think you have great hair!

2. SimeyC profile image89

lol I'll send my eye doctor over straight away!!!!! or you need to get a new seeing-eye dog!

8. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 5 years ago

Simey keep the photo.  Big fan of facial hair BTW, but I won't unfan you just to re-fan and write fan mail. smile

9. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

I am an avid follower now, hehehe

10. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

wow...what a handsome devil! I'll try to control myself!
    wink

working