The "I'm an insensitive Jack*** thread"

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

If you are so agenda minded that you really must have a religious debate about the passing of someone that I, as well as many other people, considered a friend... do it here.

That way when I get banned for calling you all self-righteous ass-hats, it won't be in a memorial thread.

What the hell is wrong with you people anyway?

And edit your damn posts if you can, his family might see them.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God bless you Mel...

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope you are not including me in this Melissa, as I only made a genuine comment, and then got 'jumped on' and accused of disrespecting Ernest's beliefs or wishes!! This was not the case, and I quickly told those who attacked me that it was not appropriate to have that discussion on such a thread. I also clearly stated I am not religious and hate being preached at by people.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know what, I actually am including you.  Your religious views or lack thereof have no place in a memorial thread. I don't care if the whole bloody world jumped on you, you didn't have to respond.  And saying "I disagree but this isn't the place to discuss it" repeatedly could have been done much easier by simply ignoring it.

But you're right.  Multiple posts about your religious beliefs in a memorial thread is the best way to honour someone's memory.  Please come to my funeral as well and share opinions about your favorite author.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

Wow, what an attack. My apologies for simply caring enough to comment, and for not ignoring people who I believe needed to be reminded their responses were inapropriate on such a thread. I knew Ernest for a very long time, and he was always fabulous with me, and he knew I had not got Bible Bashing religious beliefs. I have not shared 'opinions' about any 'favourite author' so not sure why you think I would do it at your funeral. If I had wanted to turn that thread into some huge religious debate (which would be odd as I am not religious), I could have easily responded at great length to the two posts I received in response to my genuine heartfelt comment. I didn't because it would have been wrong, but to ignore the comments totally would have been perceived as my agreeing that my comment was as 'they' described/misinterpreted. Forgive me for simply gently correcting them!

2. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I think Randy Godwin was right, that Ernest would have loved the kind of discussion that got started there and would have jumped right into it in his own endearing (or exasperating !?!) way.  MH2003, I got the feeling that some people misread your comment, or perhaps read into it what they assumed you meant.  I think your wish to see Ernest in some sort of afterlife (not necessarily a "better" one or a religious one, just a different plane) is the kind of wish that many people probably feel, even if they have different ways of expressing it.

Thanks Aficionada, I am glad someone 'got' it. And who knows what his family's beliefs are, they may also believe in 'something after', and this could be of comfort to them.

2. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

I don't know what all the commotion is about, but I can tell mh2003 cared for him very much.  I didn't see anything offensive in her post whatsoever.  I don't think I'm alone it that, either. 

I will say I think this thread was completely unnecessary, however.

Thanks Wordscribe, I really appreciate that comment.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
          wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cyber hug...  I could use one right now, seems like you could too.

Thanks, I just wish I could stop crying. I am totally in shock right now and could do with a hug.

2. habee profile image93
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cyber hugs to all who are grieving over Ernesto, as I called him.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Geeze!  Chill out Melissa!  Who made you schoolmarm?  lol  I think I knew Earnest a bit better than you did!  And I'm quite sure his family knew his views as well.  smile

Thanks Randy. I agree with you on this point (and think Ernest would too) smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peace, Misty! smile

Always, you are another of my very close HP friends, even if we don't always agree Randy smile

Same here, Misty!  We are a hub family with one less member.  Sad for us all.smile

So true, I still can't seem to stop the tears flowing. Hard to explain to a Husband who does not fully understand the depths our friendships stretch to on HP, (although, bless him, he is sympathetic to why I am so upset). I would feel just as bad if it were you or any of my other close Hubber family Randy sad

Cyber hugs, Misty.  Tears refresh the memories.  Good night all!  smile

Good night Randy, stay safe and hugs to you smile

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Only on HP.

Or any other internet forum.

Or at pretty much any funeral / family get together.

"I knew him best", "You were not his favorite" - and so on.

I don't see anything wrong with wishing someone, who is dead after all, a wish based around your own belief system.  The people who find it hardest to deal with are the living.

So things like "Rest in Peace", "May your God go with you" are designed as wishes to comfort ourselves first and foremost. We hope that the soul (if you buy into that) will find it's resting place.

The good thing is that it is perfectly normal to fall out at times like these, so we are just one normal set of relatives, arguing about the dead persons wishes, feelings, favorites, etc.

I am one of the lesser known as far as Earnest is concerned.  Great guy though.

Good points Mark, but you are so eloquent as an observer of human behaviour I am not surprised. As you say, he was a great guy.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I learned of 2 deaths today - the other was a man that battled brain cancer for 15 years.  The family and friends are very religious.  I don't agree with their views, but it seems to bring them comfort.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

So now there's going to be an argument about who knew Ernest better?? I hope his family doesn't see this thread.

Can we all just agree that Ernest was an awesome guy, and that we'll all miss him? We should all be thankful that we're still here, and that we had the chance to know him at all.

Agreed. He was awesome.

6. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

It comes down to decency and that should exist whether online or in person.  When somebody passes, whatever form a memorial takes should be free of bickering.

Jesus, I can't believe I actually had to type that.

Those who are grieving don't need anyone else's opinions or hurt feelings to deal with.  And you can't pass judgement on who deserves to grieve or not.  So the very best thing to do is share your positive memories and STFU about any other issues you have. 

So yeah, in my book anyone who chooses to argue about religion in his memorial thread is an insensitive asshat.  I don't really care what your reasoning is unless it amounts to "sorry, I was raised by goats" If you choose to report me, the button should be right below my post.

1. habee profile image93

No one needs to report anyone. I think everyone is just stressed out about Ernest. He certainly wouldn't want anyone to be reported over a forum thread!

7. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Well, maybe this thread can be the other element to the grieving process.  Bear with me while I dig myself a great big hole.

Up to the funeral everyone is in shock, tries to say the right things, goes round in a daze.

After, immediately after, the wake - the fun and the knives come out.

Perhaps we can be slightly less formal within this thread, one that if I knew Earnest at all, he might have appreciated.

If I can take another step into my own hole here.  One thing that concerns me slightly is if I were to, well die I suppose, I am not sure that my profile pic would aid much in the HP grieving process.  I may need to put in my will a request that my relatives change it.

1. habee profile image93

Mark, go ahead and change it now. Get a head start!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol.  I need a stickman with some gravitas and dignity.  Could be a tough one.

8. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I miss mohit too for some odd reasons. Earnest and I made fun of mohit many times on forums. Damn, lots of memories on this forums.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)