I'm Back Baby! And I would like to request a new Accolade,

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (89 posts)
  1. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Are we allowed to request new accolades? Well of course we are, because I am about to do it right now. I would like to request the new accolade, %username% was banned from the forums for over 10 hours!

It would be useful in many different ways, and not necessarily a bad accolade to have on your profile.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about those banned for weeks, their accolades would outdo yours lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

A banning accolade is not a bad idea! lol

1. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it would be both fun and funny. SOme might even consider it a right of passage.. lol

3. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

That would be fun actually I want one too smile

Welcome back smile

1. rbe0 profile image61

THANKSS!! i am so happy to be back... lol.

1. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know its awful when you are away for so long and miss all the fun sad

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It makes no sense.

1. rbe0 profile image61

What makes no sense about it?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP has a private policy about who is banned. The only way people find out about a person being banned is by that individual or someone else who has been told by the banned individual.

An accolade would defeat the private policy.

1. rbe0 profile image61

Users also have a choice of who they choose to display thier accolades to. Isn't this exactly the same as choosing whether or not to post in the forums talking about your ban, thus disclosing private information to the world?

In order to fit HPs privacy policy, this accolade would have to default as viewable only by the user themselves and no one else.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Yes users have an option on whether or not accolades are shown. But, that would also and should make you realize how irrelevant having a banned from the forums accolade actually would be. roll
            A person who is banned cannot post to the forums until their ban is over with. If one chooses to discuss their ban, then that should be one them. Which is why HubPages has a private policy about it.

1. Pcunix profile image91
              Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cags, you didn't really think he was serious, did you?

:-)

2. Cardisa profile image88
              Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What's the big deal about who is banned anyway? People always end up knowing about it! It's never a secret.

Cags, when you are banned you post in the feed. Others write rants about it and they always announce when they come back, so it's no secret at all.

1. rbe0 profile image61

I am sure there are some closet banned individuals who's internet personas would be completely devastated if the news of their ban was made available to the general public.

lol lol

2. mega1 profile image78
                  mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

really?  like who?  the people I know who have been banned have all set up other sites on facebook and elsewhere to BRAG about their bans!  Bad behavior is truly admired by a whole lot of us rebels.  nobody's going to tell us to BEHAVE!

1. rbe0 profile image61

"really? like who"

They shall remain unnamed. hahaah.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Sure it's a secret. You don't know when someone is banned unless that person comes out and says something about it. It's HP's policy to keep it private.
                Yes, I have no fear about letting people know I was banned. But, HP leaves that up to the individual, just like the option of accolades appearing on the profile.

1. CrazyGata profile image82
                  CrazyGataposted 12 years agoin reply to this

must feel like an outlaw!
                  love it!

No, actually I've felt stupid for letting emotional anger get the better of me.

5. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Oh, c'mon.  Ten hours?  You are a lightweight.  Come back and see us when you've had a REAL ban!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. rbe0 profile image61

Are you saying that you would like to request the accolade, "I was banned for over 100 hours from the forums!!!"

I knew this would be a great idea!

3. bgamall profile image69
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah really. Lightweight. smile

6. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Where else on the internet can you get ganged up on by 63 year old grandpas who call you a lightwieght..? No where! I luv hubpages. lol

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now if you'd have added a few choice words to this post - you could have achieved the Banned for a Week accolade! big_smile

1. rbe0 profile image61

lol!!!

Maybe this isn't a good accolade because it would be too easy for people to achieve.

And when achieving it they would also be contributing to the delinquency of the forums.

2. calpol25 profile image59

Or even "I got banned forever accolade" which very few people have the honour of big_smile

Or 'I'm a sock-puppet whose main account is banned' accolade! There's quite a few who qualify for that one!!! big_smile

Yeah thats quite true actually big_smile

2. rbe0 profile image61

The "I got banned forever" Accolade would be a tricky one to handle indeed.

It would have obvious benefits of attracting a lot of traffic to your profile and hubs, but it would also limit your future ability to add to the content of your hubs.

Only a well thought out strategic approach to hubbing could result in a benefit from using that accolade.

hahahahahah!!! lol lol

7. calpol25 profile image59

If you carry on like that rbe0 you will get banned again lol smile
    Mind you, at least you will get your accolade smile

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

In view of the unlikelihood there'll ever be a banning accolade (funny as one could be), there's always writing a whole, big, Hub about being banned (or even a couple of them) as a second-best, but unfunny, alternative.

This could lead to a whole bunch of anti-accolades:

-Voted down accolade (100,500,1000)
      -Number of hubs unpublished accolade (100, 1000, 1000000)
      -This user is most unhelpful
      -This user cant gwasp the idea off gwammer and speeling -its there problem
      -Really Ugly accolade (on a scale based on the number of beers you'd have to drink to think they were cute)

I could go on!

1. rbe0 profile image61

"This user cant gwasp the idea off gwammer and speeling -its there problem"

Are you making fun of people with lisps? I think you are about to earn the "I was banned from the forum for insensitivity" accolade.

lol not intentionally!!!

2. mega1 profile image78

Ha!  big_smile  in the time it took me to write my lengthy and stupid response you were able to post the funny things that have probably made my day.  Right on!  and thank you so much!  I would add:  THE ETCETERA ACCOLADE

and etc. . . this hubber goes on and on and on in 40% 60% 100% of their hubs! 

also, this hubber goes on and on and bores other hubbers in the forums 40% 60% 100% of the time they're in the forums!  and etc. . .

3. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is absolutely hilarious, Simey!  I know where to look when I need some pick-me-up humor!

Nice new profile pic, BTW.

Also absolutely hilarious.  I love it!  Unfortunately, I can think of times when I might earn that one.  I'll shut up now before I earn it again.  lol !

9. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Bad behaviour should never be rewarded

1. rbe0 profile image61

Accolades are not necessarily rewards. As you can see, SimeyC has already proposed a bunch of new accolades that are clearly punishments. Whether or not a hubber desires negative or positive accolades should be left up to the hubber. lol

1. barryrutherford profile image76
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

given that the Hubber is a voluntary participant having signed up to and agreed with the terms and conditions of pages it is not for Hubber's to say what they should or should not receive in the way of accolade from the powers that be that hand out accolades.

I think you get my drift tongue

1. rbe0 profile image61

OK I apologize for believing in freedom of speech. Happy?

1. barryrutherford profile image76
            barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure I am for Freedom of Speech  Which is another topic worthy of extensive debate;Seperate from accolades on hubs.  Even freedom of speech is curtailed. For instance you cannot falsely shout out fire in a crowded Cinema...

1. rbe0 profile image61

Drastic comparisons always form lively debate. We are a lot more alike than I first thought. My weak point is politics as you can probably tell. I just can't find reason to be interested in politics. This is probably why i fell back to something so basic as freedom of speech in my defense. I guess I felt cornered. LOL.

If I was smart I would just delve into the various politics forums on the internet and stop bein such a wuss.

10. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

don't you love it when people take your nonsense seriously and fall right into your web of humor?  I love it when I capture some of the more serious and obtuse minds of HP this way.  Of course it makes no sense!  HAHA!  but it is a funny thing to think about.  The idea that we would seek to have the highest number of hours banned is delightful.  I think my hours banned only totals 72 - I am very light weight - I would get the "lightweight ban" accolade!  lol  as with most genius humor, people who think so literally and straight and linear cannot grasp the fun of it.  Too bad!  (or not, depending on how you look at it)  like the one who recently commented in a thread that we should all be here just to talk to each other about writing and the "craft" in the forums and not make fun or discuss other things!!  now that's silly!  lol

11. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Actually I am totally serious. I think negative accolades would be frickin awesome. This thread was posted into the forum for suggesting new ideas for HP on purpose. If I was intending humor I would have placed in to the sandbox or something. Either way, i am very happy to hear that people are enjoying this thread.

This thread is just awesome,I left before as had to make dinner, its night time here in Britain, had to come back to read because its just so funny lol lol I think there should be an accolade for humourous writers on HP and by far this thread should get an accolade... lol lol lol

2. rbe0 profile image61

Whoa, very strange, I checked my thread and a moderator must have moved it to the sandpit. This thread was originally posted into Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature.

Its now been three times that HP has taken an action on me on this website and given me no clear reasoning as to why they did this.

In this case, they didn't even inform me of the action. I guess they assumed I made a mistake, which I did not. Maybe I am just poorly understood here because I am still so new. That should fix itself overtime hopefully.

I think maybe they changed it because they thought we had slightly gone over board with the amount of humour passing in this thread....mmmmm... the mind boggles....

1. rbe0 profile image61

In my opinion the popularity of this thread is a testament to the popularity of this idea among HP users. Whether or not HP will actually implement this idea or not is of course up to how they wish to be perceived by their users and the general public.

I think it would be fun though if they did create the accolade, smile

2. SimeyC profile image88

AHA a new accolade 'Most Misunderstood Hubber' - with varying levels:
        -Mildly Misunderstood
        -Generally Misunderstood
        -Very Misunderstood
        -We have absolutely no idea what he is talking about!

Can you tell it's Friday?

I would fit the Extremely misunderstood hubber.. me thinks lol

2. rbe0 profile image61

LOL! Hopefully your "Most Misunderstood Hubber" accolade would progress in the order reverse to how you have written it. Every new Hubber would by default recieve the "We have no idea wtf this guy talkin about" accolade, and hopefully progress until this accolade can be completely removed.

Yeah Hubber Misunderstood Extermely - sounds alot like me lol

3. mega1 profile image78

oh.  ok.  sorry.  didn't mean anything by it!

along those lines I would like to suggest the

"Last Word"  or "Knows It All" hubber accolade - which are self-explanatory - something like me - doesn't matter what the subject, this hubber knows it all and will get the last word!!

Then you have the 'nobody listens to' accolade.

Plenty of times my forum entries simply get overlooked *pout*!!!

2. rbe0 profile image61

no need to apologize. also no one was upset by anything you said.

in fact you helped me to discover that my forum thread had been moved to a different forum without my knowledge or consent. which is very interesting topic to me, as i have alerady written hubs about HP taking action on things without giving reasoning as to why they are doing it.

This being said, whenever I emailed HP asking for further information they also promptly replied. Thier reasoning provided thus far has been very logical. I just wish I didnt have to ask them for a reason before they would give it to me.

I could ask hubpages to tell me why they did move my thread, but I will just trust that they have good reasoning in this case.

1. mega1 profile image78

I think, by reading the number of humorous posts here, I can surmise that most hubbers also felt as I did that your op was intended with humor.  So, it's not all that strange.  But, since the level of arrogance in general on HP and especially as demonstrated by HP admin is very high, I am never surprised at these kinds of actions.  I do not take umbrage.  But I was very happy to get to use the word "umbrage" just now!!  a lifetime first!  big_smile

If you are seeking to be banned, by all means, give me something to work with and I will report your a**.  (joking, really, joking!big_smile)

lol lol lol Mega1 you get worse hahahahahaha!!!

2. rbe0 profile image61

Deleted

1. mega1 profile image78

I did not call anyone ignorant -  I said "arrogant"  and for me that truly is an accolade as I have always sought to maintain a certain amount of arrogance just in order to call myself a writer.

I bet my arrogance accolade would be bigger than yours :-)

1. mega1 profile image78

maybe.. maybe not - if they could accolade my thoughts I would definitely win!  I think we should call all of these new accolades "Dubious Distinction Accolades"  big_smile

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                  MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its not the size (of the arrogance, of course), it's how you use it smile

I wield my arrogance like the mighty flaming sword of Righteousness!

Or something like that.  Maybe more like the slightly leaking pen of blubber-blabber.  Same thing, right?

12. calpol25 profile image59

What about "Legend at being ridiculus award" I think I might get that one too smile

1. mega1 profile image78

you would qualify!  as would I!

also, there's the Redundant Hubber accolade for you know - redundant hubs (written on this same subject 30, 60, 100 times)

Definitely Mega1 we so won the ridiculous awards lol smile

Redundant sounds fun too smile

1. mega1 profile image78

It is not a competition, Calpol - each hubber will accrue accolades as befits his/her particular personality.  We win, though, by far the highest accolades for ridiculousness!  In fact, the spin off for a "Ridiculous Writers" site could be lucrative!  Since there are many, many of us here and since I'm thinking this way

allow me to suggest

Unappreciated Hubber Accolade - for those of us whose efforts to keep this place lively realy are never appreciated enough.  Nor could they be, I guess.

hahahahahahah I like very much smile

13. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Unique accolades would also be a cool idea. Accolades that only a single Hubber, or a small number of hubbers can earn before they become no longer available for distribution. In fact I am surprised this doesn't exist (or maybe it does? i am still new). If they existed it would be seen as a reward to dedicated long-time hubbers.

We have got one but every one gets it, after each year you get an accolade to say how long you been here so 1year, 2years..

14. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Ooh just got a new accolade:

Should be working accolade with:
    -caught by the boss writing hubs (1, 5, 100)
    -fired by the boss for writing hubs

etc.

My boss just walked in as I was writing a forum entry - so I get 'caught by the boss 1'!

1. rbe0 profile image61

"I got a Hubber in trouble at work for posting in my thread!" accolade!

15. calpol25 profile image59

I got one too, "Number one hubber of the month award" but could be for different topics smile

16. calpol25 profile image59

I got this one too - "Most stupidest reason to get banned from the forums award" sounds like it could be a good one lol

I'm a contender. I once complimented someone with sarcasm and a moderator missed it entirely.  I really was being congratulatory, but I guess the humor didn't come across,  That was a long one, too.

1. mega1 profile image78

ahhhh - the Nasty Sarcasm Accolade!  lol

Yay!!! lol

17. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

I thought that accolades was meant to point out a persons efforts, successes, and achievements.  I think your trying to exploit something that fringes upon the integrity of a great system that contributes to the betterment of the community of hubpages.  I'm against any form of bad accolades being created, because accolades are meant as motivators, not to make fun of those who've done wrong. So my vote is no.

Humor impairment syndrome is a serious issue that affects millions of humans all around the world.  Symptoms include puzzled looks, inappropriate responses and being seen in the company of other people who are trying to suppress giggles.

If you see someone plainly afflicted with HIS, immediately stop talking.  Take them by the hand, stare directly into their eyes and say "Just kidding!" loudly.  They will blink or blush eventually.  Keep hold of their hand until they do.  This is not a pemanent cure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)