jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Regarding Copyright

1. shampa sadhya profile image86
    shampa sadhyaposted 4 years ago

I want to know that after publishing a hub, do I have to apply for my copyright over it. I am very ignorant regarding this matter. Are we suppose to do it for each and every write up and how? If suppose I find any hub of mine has been copied then what the proof I have other than the publication date on the Hubpages account.

If someone can help me with all the details. Thanks!

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your hub is copyrighted as soon as you hit "publish" - there is no need to do anything further. 

Hp has a record of publish date, and google will have a date for the first time they see it.

I have never found it to be necessary to prove the date of publication; thieves know when they copy it that it is illegal.  I'm sure that HP could help if proof was necessary, though.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can read all about copyrights in a nutshell at Truth About Copyrights, one of my hubs.  I would post the link, but I don't think it's allowed.  Or you can go to the Library of Congress website and look in Copyright Law.  It's a lot of reading there though.  But wilderness is right.  Once published, you're copyrighted.  Registering your copyright is something different altogether.

1. shampa sadhya profile image86
        shampa sadhyaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, again I have a question regarding registration of copyright. What is this?

Is it necessary for us to get our copyright articles registered? If yes, then how to  do it?

Kindly, help me out. Thanks, once again.

3. Hyphenbird profile image95
      Hyphenbirdposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The comments have been very helpful. I just wanted to add that one can resister all material at a website called my freecopyrightdotcom. Thieves can steal it anyway but the author has proof it belongs to them. Photographs can be registered also.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Registering copyright is pointless unless you anticipate wishing to sue a plagiarist in a United States court for monetary damages.  In that case it is the legally required proof of copyright, in any other setting it is not required.  You just send a DMCA notice and tell them to stop.