jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)

Video launching automatically at start of hub - is this a good thing?

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

http://simonesmith.hubpages.com/hub/Dating-Advice-Sucks

This hub assaults the reader with an automatic video play. The video launches within seconds of landing on the hub, without the reader having the choice to activate it or not.

In my surprise about hearing uninvited sound and in my subsequent effort to turn it off, I lost all interest in the topic of the hub and therefore didn't read it. It was like landing on a website full of sound, animation, and pop-ups...sorry, I'm outta there, instantly.

I'm guessing this is an experiment?

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Sally's Trove,

Yes, HubPages team has said in the past that they would be testing auto-run videos on Staff's pages.

Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I missed that announcement, so ty, Cags. I wonder if others find it as offensive and counter-productive as I do?

3. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

I tend to leave pages quickly that open a video or ad without warning, I prefer having the option of playing it or not.

Likewise.

2. JimmieWriter profile image89
      JimmieWriterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agreed. I tend to open lots of tabs at once, so I often can't find which one has the offending noise. I just start furiously closing tabs. I despise auto play. When you are in a quiet house it can be very startling to have audio begin without your consent.

1. Debby Bruck profile image86
        Debby Bruckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This happens to me, too

2. Sally's Trove profile image99

Yes, yes, yes, especially in a quiet house or quiet workplace shared with others.

3. lobobrandon profile image82
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hate automatic videos. If someone's interested they'll play them else just leave them alone.. I wouldn't like that happening on HP

4. leroy64 profile image80
    leroy64posted 5 years ago

I tend to cut the video off and read the article.  If I am interested, I go back and watch.

5. maxravi profile image1
    maxraviposted 5 years ago

I too agreed on this with Sally.It should be left to the users to select the video or not. make it automatic will distract the attention.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

I want to read the article.  If a video is offered, I will probably view it after reading the article.  Sometimes, the article is good enough for me, and I'll bypass the video because I see videos as entertainment or something to hold my attention.

1. JimmieWriter profile image89

This is my MO, too. I prefer text over video. I find I can read much faster than it takes to watch a video.

7. Debby Bruck profile image86
    Debby Bruckposted 5 years ago

I have written about this issue on the forums five days ago. It is quite bothersome. 
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/89081

Arlene. It is not a "video" per se. It is an advertisement.

1. JimmieWriter profile image89

We are talking about two different (albeit equally annoying) things. Your thread is about an ad. We are talking about a video on the hub, created and uploaded by the author. It is set to auto play.

Oh! Yes! You are quite right. And, auto-play videos are also annoying. I've never set any videos to that selection when posting. The person who has created the video link has the option to go back and relink without the auto-play feature.

I took a look at a couple of my hubs that have videos, but none of them show an option for auto-play. Whaddup with this? Some hubbers see this option and others don't?

8. JimmieWriter profile image89
    JimmieWriterposted 5 years ago

Look at Cagsil's post above. This is a test by some staffers.

I see that is Simone speaking on dating. That is NOT a YouTube video as far as I can tell. I believe that Hubpages is rolling out its own form of video uploads.

2. Sally's Trove profile image99

Thanks for that reminder, but Debby's post could be construed as meaning that there's an option on HP to select auto-play or not for a video.

9. Danette Watt profile image88
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

I agree, I don't like the auto-play videos either and I hope the HP team doesn't follow through with this idea. I want to choose whether to play the video or not.

10. Fafadew profile image61
    Fafadewposted 5 years ago

I'll have to say that it is annoying.... When I am quietly browsing HubPages at night and a video pops on full blast... Ugggh tongue

working