I'm afraid to ask my husband to visit my hubs and comment.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Dear Friends ~
    I am always going on the roller coaster ride with Hubpages. Daily, my profile rating swings up and down, and my mood along with it. My husband went to check out my latest hub on the economy. The moment he hit the VOTE button my profile score went down.

My question relates to whether more than one household member can visit a hubpages to vote, rate, and comment?
    Is there an algorithm or something that check IP address in the home? He has his own computer, does that make a difference?

It saddens me that now I won't ask him to go visit and read my writing.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what was your solution?

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Don't worry about that pesky score. big_smile

Of course your husband should read your hubs! Just be sure to tell him not to click the ads. smile

Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone knows not to click the ads. Yup, yup, yup.  Can he click the VOTE button?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only if he means it. lol

Don't worry. If he knows what's good for him. big_smile

Of course he will only Vote up if he likes it.

What's not to like when your wife spends the entire day writing a hub? big_smile

2. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Debby, don't worry about it. You will only stress yourself out about it.

As long as your hubscores don't drop below 40 and your authorscore doesn't drop at the same time below 75, then you've nothing to worry about. wink

BELOW 75 for author score!
      I was a little rash in my initial response... but still ...
      and 40 for a hub score is quite sad. 

Hope you liked the red highlight.
      Always playing around and testing the possibilities on Hubpages.
      It is rather bright.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil is entirely right - at a (current) 92 authorscore you don't have anything to worry about. 

I'm not writing much anymore (too busy), and don't get on the forums as much as I'd like, but can't remember the last time I fell below 90.  To fall below 75 would be unbelievable - something would be very definitely wrong.  Likewise, even my poorer hubs that get virtually no traffic never fall below 65.  Even hubs on a second account that I've pretty much abandoned and don't even visit any more - that haven't had a single view in over a month - don't get below 50 or so.

Just forget about the scores and have fun writing.

Let me tell you that my score falls below 90 quite often and I simply can't understand it. I was going to write a little hub about my mental approach to viewing these scores. It has seemed to change over time and I'm making mental adjustments.

Let me ask this: Everyone tells me to "forget the scores" and I know they are correct in this assessment. Can a person really 'forget' when it appears in front of their face every visit? It would be lovely to have some Honest replies of people saying they don't care about their score and don't look at them.

That is the direction I'm hoping to go, not to mind whether it is up or down. Now to honestly get to that point, I will see over the next year.

1. rmcrayne profile image89
            rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I fretted over my hubber score and my average score for all my hubs for the first year, maybe more.  Now I don't pay much attention.  If I notice it at all, it's just a source of mild curiosity.  Seriously, save your psychic energy for something else.  Seriously don't worry about your hubber score.

Rose Mary ~
              You're so special. I appreciate all the encouragement. I wouldn't want to be 'psyched' out. Blessings, Debby

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

My husband does not read my Hubs or any of my writing, and I don't ask him to visit HubPages and comment.  With the exception of one friend, my family and friends do no follow me on HubPages.  I have been writing since I was five, and to those closest to me, they know this is my passion.  But it's not theirs.  I have two brothers who write, and one of them will be submitting his novel by the year's end.  But, they both have day jobs that require writing.

It is what it is.  "How nice," they'll say when I have some writing news to tell them.  They are glad that the writing is keeping me busy and out of trouble. 

The last thing I will do is stress over some score.  And I certainly will not stress if my family and friends don't follow my writing.  I will write, and nothing will stop me.

Gee, Arlene. You have a relaxed, confident approach to writing on Hubpages. I like it and would love to emulate your style. I have not been writing since I was a little kid. At one time I would say, "Blogging? What is that? Who would EVER do such a thing?"

What do you know. here I am a blog-a-holic thinking about every little thing to write. Meanwhile, my husband sends me interesting news and then I end up writing an opinion piece on Hubpages. Thus, we have similar interests and he's a great cheering team for me. He's actually very proud of my writing. In essence, you could say, 'we're a team."

I like for him to see my finished piece with all the elements of design, images, photos, back up material and main concepts. Maybe that explains why I want him to be able to view the hubs.

1. Peggy W profile image96
        Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Debby,

I also like my husband to view and critique my hubs.   Like you...until a few years ago I had no idea what a blog was or what it entailed.  So now...here we both are...writing on HubPages!  smile

5. homesteadbound profile image83
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

My hubber score has really been getting me down too. Up until about three weeks ago, I was okay, even up to 96. Now I have problems keeping it in the 90's. I will spend about 2 days in the 80's and one in the 90's. This has repeated multiple times, and has frustrated me to no end.
    My husband has not read even 10 of my 150. But I don't worry about it. Tonight he gave me my Christmas presents early and all three of them were writing related. It was amazing.

Oh my dear Homestead - I really feel for you. I simply can't figure it out. The number of hours and days spent here, writing quality blogs, commenting and visiting the different places on the network, we should have it recognized by the score. You've written a considerable number of great hubs.

How very sweet that he gave you a gift related to your passion. Very considerate.

1. homesteadbound profile image83
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. But my score has really gotten me down. It has been a 2-3 weeks on this cycle and it is starting to depress me. The day it hit 87 a couple days ago, I just didn't know what to do with myself.
        I do have a wonderful husband. I didn't think that he was supporting be that much. After all I average at least 10 hours a day here probably, trying to figure everything out. But he does and despite my current hubber score, I'm walking on the clouds.

I think part of the problem on Hubpages is coping with the amount of work involved to keep up with commenting. When you go to the main page the flow of new hubs goes so fast you have to pick and choose what to read.

You may have some favorites that you always want to read, but when they post ten new hubs, it is impossible to write your own and read / comment on all of theirs, too.

Maybe this experience will bring you closer to your husband now that you know how much he cares?

Also, between the two of us, we need to feel good about ourselves, whether or not our score is up or down. I have now lowered my expectations. My score may be 92 -- at this very moment in time -- but I cannot expect it to be there for long.

Keep smiling.

1. homesteadbound profile image83
            homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I really appreciate your kind words.

6. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

I have stopped worrying about the Hub Author Scores or Hub Score. I only see what I want to see... Appreciation and Money... Some of my low Hub score hubs makes me more money than my popular hubs.

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

The only numbers I am interested are:

1. Number of views
    2. HP Ads income
    3. Adsense clicks and income

None of those seem to correlate in the least bit with individual hub scores or with my personal score. That is enough to make these two items 100% irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Thank you for your comments, Debby.  Since homesteadbound (Cindy) is gonna brag about her early Christmas gift from hubby, I'm gonna brag about mine.  I received two beautiful leather writer's journals last week from my husband, and I'm already using one of them.  I carry it wherever I go.  Last year, it was a laptop, and it has been my good luck charm when it comes to the writing.  Don't get me wrong.  There's other ways to show your support for a writer in the family, but it would not be fair for me to expect it.  When it comes to anyone pushing those buttons, I've made nothing from Amazon.  I live in California, and deleted them when they were fighting with the state when it came to taxes.  I put them back up as part of my Hub design, but still no takers.  I figure it's a crap shoot, but I still include them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)