jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Social-Minded Hip Hop Making a Comeback? Really?

1. brittanytodd profile image91
    brittanytoddposted 4 years ago

I recently read this article from the NY Times that talks about Kendrick Lamar and Common creating socially-conscious rap. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/arts/ … l?ref=arts

I don't think Lamar's raps are consistant and think some songs out-weigh the social messages in some of the others, for example, here's some lyrics from his song, "Hol Up":

I wrote this record while thirty thousand feet in the air
    Stewardess complimentin' me on my nappy hair
    If I can f--- her in front of all of these passengers
    They'll prob'ly think I'm a terrorist
    Eat my asparagus, then I'm askin' her
    Thoughts of a young n----, fast money and freedom
    A crash dummy for diamonds, I know you dyin' to meet 'em
    I'll prob'ly die in a minute
    Just bury me with twenty b------, twenty million, and a Comptown fitted

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmania.com/hol_up_lyric … lamar.html

What do you think?  Do you think these guys deserve the credit they are getting?  Or are there some others out there that should be recognized (i.e. J. Cole)?

1. vmartinezwilson profile image84
      vmartinezwilsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure that social minded hip hop is making a comeback. What ends of happening is that an artist will do one song with socially minded lyrics and not really go back there such as The Black Eyed Peas with Where Is the Love. It seems to come and go.

As for Common, he's always been politically and socially motivated in his CDs.  They just don't get any play, in general. 

I dunno, just my opinion and I'm not entirely married to it.

brittanytoddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Totally.  I know of some artists that have stuck to socially conscious rap.  Blue Scholars would be an example, but of course, they will never sell as much as Lil Wayne, whose lyrics are obscene, homophobic, and sexist.  Common does songs that have lyrics about change and are socially conscious, but sometimes he trails off to sell...but Kendrick Lamar...nah.

Thanks for commenting!  It's good to hear what everyone thinks about this.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

I truly do not think that our opinions matter to a multi billion dollar industry that takes its directions when it takes its directions.

All hip hop has some elements of social mindedness and ignores the hatred and bigotry that is universally directed toward its originators: black and poor people.

Just because one or two hip hop artists mouth words that appeal on a "crossover" basis, does not mean that they are any more social minded than any other hip hop artists.

brittanytoddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

True.  I was just shocked that they would pick Kendrick Lamar, who has some shocking lyrics that I can't even post here.  Thanks for your comments.  I'm glad you agree.

3. Alecia Murphy profile image90
    Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago

Like Vmartinezwilson says, it ebbs and flows. The Black Eyed Peas used to be completely alternative and socially-conscious minded but once Fergie joined and they got on the pop charts, they switched gears to sell. However, I think there are also artists who would like to do more socially conscious records but it won't get attention. There are artists like Common and Lupe Fiasco who do these records consistently but even they do girl-friendly, party jams but hip-hop is all of these things.
    It's the ones like Brittany was talking about that only focus on what sells or what' s in that are the real problem.