jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Views way off from analytics...

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago

Anyone else having wickedly varying numbers between view reported and views on analytics...

One hub in particular of mine is showing on the main account screen as having 6-7 times the actual views that are showing in analytics and HP's traffic sources screen.

Anyone know why this would happen?

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The two systems use extremely different metrics, and one is a basic system designed to give very a very rough overview (HubPages stats), while the other is much more complex, precise and maintained (Analytics).

2. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 4 years ago

HP Stats are not accurate In fact they are often freeze due to some bug.

3. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

My HP stats shows more views so I figured that because HP records views from the site and my own views while analytics records mostly search engine traffic and subdomain traffic. I don't think my own views count in analytics. I could be wrong.

4. Richieb799 profile image67
    Richieb799posted 4 years ago

Hubpages stats shows your views over 24hours, Analytics would show your views for that particular day

5. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

Also - Analytics depends on a bit of Javascript that has to load and run and successfully contact Google servers.  There is plenty of room for errors.     HP could pull stats from their server logs as easily as not.

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am confused. When I look at my total views, ever, am I looking at my own views too? How can it possibly be helpful for a system to count the author's own views?

As for Google Analytics, perhaps a site of this size could require that Google do a better accounting for the difference than "this is our secret".

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, HP could discount your views.  It's not that hard to set  Analytics to ignore them also (you can do that yourself, if you wish).

However:  If you have any quantity of traffic where it makes any sense to look at it in hopes of gleaning information, you have enough that YOUR views are an insignificant and meaningless blip of noise.  If you have so little traffic that your views are at all important, there is nothing of any value to you in Analytics anyway - the sample size is far too small for you to draw any conclusions.

6. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago

Just checking in to say thanks for the answers.