jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

I.O.U.S.A. - About the 54 Trillion dollar USA deficit

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

Recently a feature film named I.O.U.S.A. was released, which is about the enormous debt burden that is crippling the USA.

A 30 minute version has just been released on You Tube at http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=O_TjBNjc9Bo

If you're not aware of the USA national debt, its causes, and implications it's well worth a look.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image59
      Jerrico Usherposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thank you

That was pretty interresting (and scary)

2. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

Interesting - Im not all the way thru but the % of revenue from company tax seems incredibly low compared to the % of direct tax

3. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

It's amazing that this topic does not seem to have even been raised as an issue by either of the candidates.

1. Jewels profile image80
      Jewelsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I wonder if either candidate has a solution to it?

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The answer would be a combination of significantly raising taxes, not going ahead with promised medicare reforms, and other cost cutting measures.

And neither of the candidates would want to go there - at least before the election.
        Anyway, I'm half a world away from the US and not really qualified to give an opinion.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
          Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Cost-cutting? From a government? lol

And the problem may be big in the USA, but it is world-wide in scope. My government managed to find £ 250 billion from nowhere  sad   And the European governments are busy printing more Euros as fast as the presses will run. The Russians are dumping $15 billion a week into their economy and I have no clue what is going on in China other than they are in trouble too.

4. guidebaba profile image60
    guidebabaposted 7 years ago

India is Not Spared either. Jobs Cuts, Salary Cuts, Price increase (Mainly on imported products as Rs. get Weeker). The Day doesn't looks far away when we may have to put lipstick on a Pig and be Happy and Entertained rather than going out for a some Fun or Shopping. neutral