jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is writing about specific products ok?

1. Pat Merewether profile image79
    Pat Merewetherposted 7 years ago

There are a few products and services that i feel are great and would like to write about them.  Can I write an article about a certain type of kitchen appliance or brand of bread mix without being in trouble?

2. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Yes, you ca. You never know, you might even make a few Amazon/Ebay sales smile

3. CarpetDiem profile image79
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

I don't think it's against the rules, but my advice is...
    If one can add valuable information for a potential consumer, I think it's great
    If one is just "regurgitating" info copied from other sources and one never used the product, I think it's horrible and just futher pollutes the internet.
    What I mean is, when I'm about to buy a new digital camera or vacuum cleaner, I often type in the model name and the word "review" to see if I can find someone that has bought it, and to see what they think of it. I then use that info to decide whether or not to buy it.
    Hope this makes sense.
    ~ Steve

4. Pat Merewether profile image79

Thanks everyone.  I purchased a cuisinart cordless hand blender and started making healthy smoothies about a year ago.  I was so impressed with the blender that i send my son (in the Air Force), my dad and my grandson (in college) each one along with the ALIVE protein powder I use.  So, I wanted to share the info and figured a hub article is a good way to do it, but didn't want to get into trouble on the 'promotional' rules.

5. SpotCoolStuff.com profile image80
    SpotCoolStuff.composted 7 years ago

For whatever this is worth . . .

I write about products a lot and have found that, in general, writing about a category of products draws a lot more traffic and interest than writing about one specific product. Eg. The hub I wrote about the five best ultra-compact digital cameras did much better than my hub reviewing one specific camera.

Instead of reviewing your cordless cuisinart consider a hub on various kitchen appliances you can't live without. Either that or a hub about how to make healthy smoothies that includes pitch for your product.

6. CarpetDiem profile image79
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

Your reply (that you liked the blender so much you bought more for family members) is exactly the kind of review I'd be looking for if I was thinking of buying one. I say "Write the Hub!" ~ Steve
    PS. I would dicuss what you liked about it, and to show it is a balanced review, point out something that you didn't like or that could be better. Even if it is minor, it'll show that you really thought about it.

7. guidebaba profile image59
    guidebabaposted 7 years ago

Yes you can write on anything – From a pen to an airplane

8. Pat Merewether profile image79

Thanks so much!  I'll get to work right now.