Forum Frogs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (118 posts)
  1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

I have noticed that there are quite a few “people” who have hundreds (even) thousands of forum posts and few, if any, Hubs. I call them Forum Frogs because they just hop around on the forums trying to catch the unsuspecting with their sticky tongues. Most are lame, annoying and redundant.
    I propose that HubPages establish a higher standard by adopting a new policy. Members should publish a Hub before participating in the forums. After that, forum participation should be regulated by a Hub/Forum ratio. Let’s clean up our act and be more professional. We lose respect and validity when reasonable, intelligent professionals wander into the forums to see what is up with HubPages.

There are plenty of forum sites. Let them leap to those.

1. davenmidtown profile image66
      davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought they were flying elephants... because they bombard the forums with ****.... where is my umbrella?    I do not know why people can sign up for hubpages and not write.  Yesterday I saw a person... with 176 follower and not 1 published hub.... could that be a case of people following back out of kindness???  not... he also had 24 great hubs remarks.... maybe he deleted all of his hub... don't know... just saying...

WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Twitter.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol oh the visuals lol

But it is like that..

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

cool

3. wavegirl22 profile image50
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

+ 1

4. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forum frogs frequently fight frivolously failing and falling without fruit.

Say that three times fast!!!!!!!!

lol

I actually like the term forum frogs.  lol

would fruit actually help?

1. profile image0

No idea but I needed to put something there really fast.  tongue

I was just thinking that fruit attracts gnats which the frogs then eat, and soon there are tabpol, which turn into more frog and then the fighting increases... then someone gets banned and a new hub is formed....

1. profile image0

Forum frog forums fail to facilitate financial freedom

now... financial freedom... that is just an open invitation to be occupied.

Forum frogs fracture fundamental facade featured frivolously from former forum facility.    maybe?

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57

I tried it, got dizzy and fell down.

5. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been suggested repeatedly.  Plainly HP doesn't care.

This hotrod is running on auto while Big Brother is out playing golf.

1. Pcunix profile image90

I don't think so.  I think they see value ($$$) in controversy and sock puppets create controversy.

I'm not in agreement.  I think they'd be smarter to keep those jerks out of here.  But they seemingly know or at least think they know better, because there has never been the slightest indication that they care.

Even a sock puppet should keep up appearances.

Yeah.  If I owned this site, I wouldn't allow sock puppets and would ban someone forever for fakery to evade the rules.

But I don't.  It's their ball and their court and their rules.

6. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! There are many people here who claim to be "writers" who have written many hubs, yet their hubs are so much word salad and nonsense, just like their posts in these forums.

Raising standards to professionalism or acknowledging respect and validity shouldn't be the difference between whether one writes a hub or a forum post, but instead what is contained within. 

Intelligent professionals will easily recognize gobbledegook in either a hub or a forum post.

Name calling (Forum Frogs) and complaining about where one writes will be recognized by intelligent professionals, but not the way you might believe. smile

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You ought to write a hub about that.

Ribbitt, ribbiitt, ribbitt.

7. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been discussed many times.  HubPages always says no, because it says new Hubbers need to be able to post on the forums asking for help, if they're struggling to publish their first Hub.

I say, there's an easy solution - allow new Hubbers access to the Hub-related forums only.  No access to the Topics forums until they've published one Hub.  And no ability to start a new thread in the Topics forums until they've made a number of forum posts (10?).

One possible hurdle is that I believe HubPages uses forum software nobody else uses,and maybe it's just not sophisticated enough to discriminate like that.

1. K9keystrokes profile image83
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Pcunix profile image90

Possible, yes, but there are creative ways around that.  You could "ban" someone and force them to post by way of a special email address until they meet the requirements. 

Or just get rid of the crappy software.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57

@Marisa Wright - You obviously take the gig seriously and have real experience with the venue. I appreciate the opinion of a true veteran.

I would be more lenient with the number of hubs, but at this point, it is just talk, anyway. I hear what you are saying about the program. It might be Eastern European. It is quarky. Editing a typo after publishing requires at least three steps and takes you into 3 different "realms". With the good products coming out of California, you just fix it and key save.

I don't see the program's ability to track violations as a problem. It can't track other violations, either. There are plenty of willing stool pigeons eager to "drop the dime". Most of the time, people will follow the rules (bend them or break them sparingly). It would be a vast improvement from this embarrassing state of affairs. I had a magazine editor tell me to get out of here altogether if I want to be taken seriously as a writer. Thankfully, we already have a working relationship. Besides, I think the interactive multi-media format will give passive magazines a run for their money. I'm staying.

I think you are confusing the hub creation tool with the forum software.  They are two entirely different things - but I agree, both are clunky and inferior.

Hey, I'm a right brained artist, not a tech. I need the tech to get me down the road. The brand I use integrates both, and then some.

I'm so NOT right brained that I don't even understand what you meant in this post and the one before it.  Seriously.

"Around here, the players on the bench are hogging the water bucket."  ???

"The brand I use integrates both, and then some."  ???

I have no clue what you meant by either of those sentences.

1. recommend1 profile image60
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about not understanding him, he doesn't even know what he is talking about himself big_smile

Just another sock puppet and now apparently a 'forum frog' starting threads about themselves big_smile

Around here you are lazy. Go make some more products for Walmart and stay off the forums. cool

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
                    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...ha ha ha...hey R1 - happy new year...good to run into you....are you causing truble?  big_smile lol

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
                    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dangerously close to hate speech.  Just saying, broad sweeping discriminatory statements about another's country is walking a thin line.

No, I don't think he's a sock puppet.  Perhaps you know something I don't, but heseems real to me.

1. recommend1 profile image60
                    recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is very much like Sab o or whatever it was called, the same bitter sniping and random comments, also thought he was good at stuff that he clearly was not.  Similar MO.

See how I need left brain assistance. It all works together.

I'll clarify the symbolism. The players on the bench are the ones who don't get in the game (no or negligible hubs). The water bucket is for the use of the players who are working up a sweat (Hubbers working the gig).

At Coastal Angler Magazine, we work in whatever program (all one brand) suits our job . . . graphics, word processing, layout, web design. We push a button and there it is, all formatted together and ready to go, widgets and all. It is called "seamless integration". While we are researching our next article (fishing), the thing runs itself. It takes a smart person to set it up, but once he/she is done, we are off and running.

Thanks.  You have to spell things out for some of us smile

2. dipless profile image66
    diplessposted 12 years ago

I definitely think that the forums on HP are some of the worst for moderation and content, There are many hubbers who are very friendly nice and you can actually have an intellectual debate even though you may have differing opinions.

Something does need to be done, people can just create an account and post any old  frogsdropping. I think there does need to be some correlation between quantity/quality of hubs posted and the ability to post freely to the forums, maybe have 25 hubs over 60 to qualify (completely arbitrary only HP would have numbers on what may work). Anyone with less than that can post in Help and extreme hub make over or something of that fashion.

Also the number of posts made on the same subject, especially in the Religion and politics forums (where incidentally there are the broadest of views and invite more inflammatory responses). I think it should be strictly moderated with regards to duplicate content, to prevent as is so correctly put in one of the forum titles "Attention First Time Visitors! This is not a religion site." I actually imagine that some of the forum posts and flame wars, sock puppeteering etc would actually put off people from using what is otherwise a Very good site.

Sorry about that Rant, I was going to post a short and sweet, yeah I agree and make a joke about raining frogs, but it turned into a bit of a torrent.

Are you kidding me with the apology? Well put!

Personally, I am a "believer", but some of my favorite writers are the atheists and agnostics around around here. I am a fan of their intelligence. I don't get shook when smart people think. A couple of them have showed up already.

My real concern is for people of different faiths than mine. I can't learn from people from other parts of the globe without having a frog in the punch bowl.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oRiB8ULVp2w/TCC_f8lL9OI/AAAAAAAACy8/FiVuIA7qJ1k/s1600/green-frogs-fighting-BINNS-IMG_0955-copy.jpg

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Oh jeez!  This is like beating a dead horse.

You have control over yourself. Worry about yourself!

You have no control over others.  Stick to what you have control over!

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Maybe these folks are just lonely, and need to talk to someone!

They have Facebook for that.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of real frogs...where is Frogdropping?

On a lily pad.

Is this a vote for the status quo? The staus quo can be changed without unanamous consent. Commercial fishermen in Florida were depleting fish stocks, harming wildlife and destroying bottom habitat with their gill nets. We got up a grass roots movement to eliminate the destructive fishing practice. Now I am focusing on this destructive, fishy practice.

If you are satisfied with the status quo, then you must not know better. There is lack of quality awareness in our culture today. Look on the store shelves. We buy junk from China. It breaks or falls apart. We buy more the next day while our local economy collapses. Why worry about what you can't control? Let's go to Walmart.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No! It was a polite way to tell you to read the terms of service! Abide by them or go somewhere else...

Or even easier

Mind your own business.

Don't advertise your ignorance, comrade.

You do not want competition?

4. profile image0
      The Writers Dogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said. There are enough people here already who are under the impression - rightly or wrongly - that HP is just a tad too elitist. I am certainly not one of them, but I have seen enough comments in enough forums to be aware of it.
      And I have only been here a month!

Elitist? That is internal. It has nothing to do with raising the bar of quality that is seen by our customers. These forums come up on searches and I have had associates wonder why I am wasting my time playing in the sand box. Personally, I could care less about the "club" aspect of this operation. There is no money in it.

If you can't run, you don't make the football team. Around here, the players on the bench are hogging the water bucket.

Well, we should change the whole site so you look better to your associates?

lol

Let me translate:

We should change the whole site so we don't look stupid to the outside world?

cool

Too late.  WAY too late.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74

How about if you just start your own site?  A nice professional little niche.

Welcome to the club of HUBBERS, W D Curry, you are officially a HUBBER now!

WD Curry has been a HUBBER for three months and now wants to run things.

BTW: using a deceased friends avatar and posts in your hub is disgusting.

Please, don't call me a Hubber. Whose a friend, and who is dead? I have no idea what you are talking about, comrade.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
                  MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well we surely can't call you a writer...

Look! The whole army is showing up. This is the first time I have gotten a response from you. You remind me of the mean girl in fifth grade.

Call me an artist, instead.

You have Earnesthubs avatar and his posts in your HUB.  The man can no longer defend himself so you feel free to steal his image and plagiarize his posts?

Reported, and completely disrespectful.

Please don't call me a hubber.   Are you ashamed of yourself?   If you write HUBS at HUBPAGES you are a HUBBER!  Tell all your friends WD Curry is a HUBBER!

look for that in your search engines!

I have no respect for what you have done in that hub.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  Even Jesus would be ashamed of you for disrespecting those that have passed!

There are several others that have had their avatar and posts added to this hub.  "Don't call me a hubber"

Check out the conversation. He had a chance for redemption. He wanted to hear something he hadn't heard before. He got the lowdown at the hoedown from me. Where is he now? Reality bites.

This is a glass house. We create our own legacy. Jesus knows the drill.

I told you there were plenty of stool pigeons eager to "drop the dime".

I just looked at that.  You are correct: it is disgusting.

No theft. No plagiarism. Public record, comrade.

5. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 12 years ago

LOL.

Dude, aren't there more serious things to worry about in life?

And Hubpages is hardly a professional website of any kind. More like a joke.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm gonna have to agree.

I guess so. You only have two lousy hubs.

1. JBBlack profile image61
          JBBlackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unkind.

I just checked out your hubs. I see the quality. In your case it is true. Why are you wasting your time with a joke?

6. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Trolls, religious or non-religious folks, right-left-centrist-libertarians, spammers etc are part of traffic. Forum frogs are traffic. It helps raise quantcast numbers. HP forum during 2011 had less drama compared to 2009/10, so drama is necessary to bring folks on this site. Why kill it for Curry?

Yeah, let's keep insulting our new friends from India and beyond! What's your real name?

There is no $ from forums except for the dying remnants of Marxist sponsored pie holes.

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why? You want to nuke my city?

What?!? Go back to sleep.

7. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

*sigh* It's about traffic, not about quality of forum or posts or people. Type any odd word in your next thread and see how quickly it gets indexed in google. Take forum frogs for example, I'm sure this thread will get better ranking in google for that keyword.

Wake up from your nap. Forum traffic does not generate real income for you, quality does, junior.

Take a guess who knows about to generating traffic.

He's talking about HubPages building traffic and reputation, not you.

Forum junk swells Quantcast, Doubleclick, Alexa and Google stats, causing the site to be seen as more valuable to potential advertisers.

You really shouldn't expound in areas you know nothing about.

There is no real traffic generated from this junk. It is your fantasy. Like I said . . . nothing in it for you.

Let me know when you are coming down and we'll go fishing.

Your inability to comprehend this doesn't change reality.    In fact, there IS something in it for all of us - HP's high position in traffic standings is one of the reasons advertisers are willing to pay more here.  Forum traffic is potential hub traffic.

But never mind.  Some people just won't be educated.

That doesn't mean it has to be second rate crap. Besides, the tripe I am talking about doesn't generate outside traffic. It just makes HubPages look ridiculous. What kind of reputation do you get from putting out nonsense?

Then everyone can see on Google that WD Curry 111 is a Hubber!

They'll know better, comrade.

I have work to do in the real world. I must go now.

Like I say. I've proved my point. C-ya.

Proved what point? This entire thread has been pointless!

1. GoldenBird profile image58
            GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it better to leave alone a pointless thread? Or is it absolutely essential to talk like a crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture and refinement?

Compared to the educated from India? It is the best we can do.

1. skyfire profile image80
                skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Trust me you have to do much harder than that to insult indians.Considering the disease of religious homeschooling in united states,it's ironic you're talking about education in india? Oops, I got the bait Mr curry, cook for me.

Your knowledge about quality content on web, traffic and money earning form content mills is laughable, you should entertain folks in politics and religion thread instead of opening threads like this to play with people who have brain cells more than you.

8. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

That doesn't mean it has to be second rate crap.

How ironic that you say this, but yes, I agree.

I don't own the site, though, so I don't get much input.  Tell you what:  I buy a lottery ticket every Tuesday.  If we win a few hundred mill, I'll see what I can do.

I buy one ticket a week. If I win, we'll see what you can do. I recognize.

9. GoldenBird profile image58
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

What we have here is a gang of *hubbers* who would pick anyone who wants to talk nice, or have an idea to improve things, especially if that contains any idea to refine the psychopaths who use this site. The administration has been kind to them for some good reason. Often a Big-Stick answers a lot than reasoning.

Dum di de dum what we have here is a threat to someone.  Take it or leave it is what I can see. Keyboard courage does not effect me!

You may be surprised at what you would get if you actually could follow through with your threat!

10. loveorlost profile image41
    loveorlostposted 12 years ago

I am not really with you. I think this kind of people is like me, they love to answer all that questions you people ask. They might be love to ask and answer ,they might be very shy to write. I still believe that hubbers are very well in writing and many of them are professional writers. |So writing in hubpage is very brave i think.
    Please encourage this kind of people to write , do not discriminate.

thanks.

1. GoldenBird profile image58
      GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have an answer for you, which is- start a thread in the "religion and philosophy" forum; and pretend to be a lover of God. See what happens. Then come again to check your statement.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

hmmm, and the OP was complaining about lack of intelligent forum threads?

What I have noticed recently in the forums are people that have been here less than a year trying to change the rules and policies. HP is an open, online site.
    As far as the 'forum frogs', they're generally not the new hubbers. I've seen new hubbers arrive in the forums and get slammed for asking a question.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://www.toadhaven.com/images/frog%20dissection%20014.JPG
    Beware the HP forums of 2012!!! big_smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)