Problem with sharing to Google+

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (25 posts)
  1. alissaroberts profile image77
    alissarobertsposted 12 years ago

I am currently testing out the new video feature with my latest hub. When I tried to share on Google+, the screen was partially blocked by my video and would not let me write a comment and share with my followers. I was wondering if anyone else who is testing out the new video feature was having a problem with this or if it was just a glitch with my own computer. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be careful sharing everything on Google +1. 

It's supposed to be like Facebook Like,so you're supposed to be recommending sites you like, not promoting your own stuff. I have one or two people in my circles who +1 every ##$%^ thing they write, and it annoys me no end.

alissarobertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize not to do this. I thought it was another way to share your work but after reading up on this it is indeed a no-no. I learn something new everyday on here smile

But I am still curious has anyone else tried to share a hub with the new video feature on Google+? Just wondering if they experienced the same problem - with the video blocking the share box?

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just want to make sure you aren't confused.

There's nothing wrong with sharing links on Google-plus.

If you plus+1 your own stuff, there is a possibility that Google could downgrade your reputation.  We have no absolute knowledge that this is true, however and there are good reasons to suspect that it is not.  For one thing, they (Google) stupidly encouraged this by having the +1 button also function as a sharing method.

The other reason it may be unimportant is that one little plus-1 is meaningless.  It's not like creating a backlink, even: it doesn't have even a fraction of that value.  You need thousands of unique plus-1's before Google will care at all, so your own little vote is truly nothing.

However, Google may see it as self-promotional and they tend not to like that, so it might be best to just not do it.  At the very least, indiscriminate plussing will say that your plusses have less value, which could ultimately mean that your vote to anyone gets thrown away.

But ALL of that is speculation and none of it has anything to do with sharing a link at your Google-plus account.

2. Pcunix profile image91

She's not necessarily talking about plussing.  You can share something at G+ without +1'ing it.

Unfortunately, their idiotic +1 button also offers to share, so some folks mistakenly think that's how they should share there.  It isn't.

Thanks for your feedback Pcunix! Just so I understand clearly if we want to share our own work or another's hubber's work - copy and paste the link from the bottom and then share to Google+. Do not use the +1 buttons up top. Is this correct?

So what if someone from outside HubPages wanted to +1 our work and share on Google+? I wonder if they would experience the same problem with the video blocking the share box.

I don't know but if you can give me a hint of where to find your video, I'll try it.

Or send me a private message on G+ - the link is on my profile.

Just sent the link to my video hub. I really appreciate your help!

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
            Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you want to send me the link in message, alissaroberts, you can, and I will open another browser and look at the page without being a logged in member. Or you could do the same... Come in and view it not logged in as a member.

Thank you Dale! Just sent the link to your email.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
                Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have responded to you email after viewing in two different browsers, Alissa.

Got it - thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!

1. Cardisa profile image87
                    Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the sharing thing - I do realize that sharing too many items in the same day might be regarded as spamming.

2. Tom Schirmer profile image62
      Tom Schirmerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem with the video blocking the +1 comment box should now be fixed.  Thanks for letting us know.

Thank you so much Tom!  I appreciate your help!

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

OK, I can definitely share your hub, but if I try to add the video link, it's just black..

Well it's good to hear you had no problems sharing it - I guess maybe it was just a glitch with my computer. As for the video link, I tried to go back and change the thumbnail but it does not give me the option to change it. I am not even sure changing the thumbnail would help that problem or not.

I really appreciate you going out of your way to help smile Thanks again for your feedback!

We live to serve, ma'am.

2. ezhang profile image81
        ezhangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi alissaroberts,

To change your video thumbnail, you can click "edit" to change your settings in the video capsule, and then you will see the interface for changing your video thumbnails. This will fix the problem with the black thumbnail. I hope this helps smile

Thanks for your response. When I try to edit the video capsule, the below screen is what I see. Am I doing something wrong?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6007676_f248.jpg

3. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

On a side note regarding the "do not share your own stuff on social networks," it would be nice if these buttons just didn't appear at all to logged-in users. A lot of people do not know the harm it does.

I had a few people I followed on Twitter who mass spammed their hubs. They never post anything else, but their hubs. It's a shame that users do just that, it doesn't help their campaign at all. I unfollow these users. I've even gotten a message from one person "Why aren't u following me anymore?" I didn't respond because I didn't want to hurt their feelings, but seriously... I wish HubPages just released a GIANT showcase on how social networking sites SHOULD be used (as well as what NOT to do and why) and just general social networking etiquette.

I'm not picking on the OP, because she just meant to share it in her G+ timeline and I can't comment on her social networking strategy as a whole (I don't think I've come across her on G+.) smile I'm just speaking in general, because I've seen some activity on social networking sites... things posted by hubbers that make me cringe. Like people on Twitter doing this:

@twitter_user - Check out my Hub on Something - http://hubpages.com/hub/....
    @another_twitter - Check out my Hub on Something - http://hubpages.com/hub/....
    @HubPagesDotCom - Check out my Hub on Something - http://hubpages.com/hub/....
    @Leo_laporte - Check out my Hub on Something - http://hubpages.com/hub/....
    @so-n-so - Check out my Hub on Something - http://hubpages.com/hub/....
    @famoustwitteruser - Check out my Hub on Something - http://hubpages.com/hub/....

Not only is it rude (I receive an notification on my phone when I'm @'ed and I'm not happy if it's spam), but it makes the HubPages community, as a whole, look bad. Plus it's also considered spamming and I have reported many a user on Twitter for spamming like this, which leads to being banned, because Twitter doesn't like it either.

If users spam their own timeline, it's not going to help them, but Twitter users don't have to follow that user. However, the @ thing I showed above is abuse.

I don't think many users know that this is considered rude, especially those who aren't regular Twitter users and I'd like to think that MOST people, once they learn better ways to share their stuff, not only mend their ways but find success in their new methods.

Fortunately, HubPages doesn't babysit people on social networks. Back in '08, I worked for an online company who had a large user base. Our users would promote their stuff via MySpace at the time and forums (not so much twitter or Facebook at the time) and some users would spam forums, even the forums of one of our competitors. As our ad supplier had a strict anti-spam policy, we were forced to ban users from our site who were caught spamming their links on other sites. We're fortunate that HubPages doesn't have to do that, but it shows how spamming is hurtful to both online communities and to those who do the spamming.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

AMEN!

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mel, I'm guilty. I am dumb when it comes to twitter, I have never posted anything but my hubs. I wouldn't know what else to post. sad

1. Ardie profile image80
          Ardieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, I think I am half-guity, too maybe.  Im also still new and learning.  I post my stuff and others people's hubs too. Maybe I should read more on tweeting so I know what Im doing.  I'd hate to be rude!!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting Melbel, thanks.

I'm not a Twitter user but I do have my websites and HubPages account set up so they auto-tweet when I create a new post or Hub.  Read almost any website on self-promotion and they tell you to do that, so are you sure it doesn't help? I rarely tweet anything else.

I do agree about the @ thing, though.  I would never dream of sending direct messages to my followers about every post, that's just rude.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)