jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)

Suggested New Feature: Commenting on Answers

1. workingmomwm profile image85
    workingmomwmposted 5 years ago

I recently asked a question about an old button I found, and one of the people who responded to my question asked some questions about it and said that it was hard to tell much from the picture (but, since I was asking a question, I was only allowed to post one photo...). So, now, to offer more information about my question, I either have to write a hub (which might not really be a bad idea, now that I think about it), or I have to answer the question and give up the ability to answer further without writing a hub. And, of course, it was my fault for not making it a forum post in the first place, where there would be room for more interaction ...

Still, in other situations, I can't help thinking it might be nice to just leave a comment on an answer every once in a while when no further discussion is needed.

1. lobobrandon profile image80
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can always use the forums. Questions aren't meant for discussions they're meant for questions smile

1. Cardisa profile image90
        Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That would automatically make it a forum post.... roll

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You've really answered your own question!

"Questions" has always been a difficult section, because it's so easy for people to misunderstand what it is.  HubPages has tried calling it various different titles but it's never really worked.

The basic purpose of the Questions section is to give Hubbers inspiration to write Hubs. If a question isn't likely to inspire a Hub, it should be a forum question instead.  So I don't think HP would want to modify the Questions section in a way that would encourage a use it's not designed for.

3. Fawntia profile image
      Fawntiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We are considering adding this feature. Thanks for letting us know that you would find it helpful.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+
        That would be nice. Thanks for considering.

2. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How would it then be different from the forums?

1. relache profile image88
          relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

THIS

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
          rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are some questions that don't really need a forum thread, but being able to respond further with an additional question or whatever might be nice. I don't ask many questions, but there were a couple of times I wished I could have responded on those I did ask. I saw no need for a forum discussion.

Some threads go unanswered or they get buried if the OP doesn't have a lot of time to moderate the thread. It seems questions are often answered by a wider audience than the forums.

1. lobobrandon profile image80
            lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmm good point never saw it that way

2. Pcunix profile image89
            Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How is buried in a forum section any different than buried in Answers?

I'm not arguing to be difficult - I just don't see this.

I dislike the Answers section greatly - as its original purpose (create hubs), it was fine, but it is a poor substitute for a forum discussion.

working