jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Opening Links In A New Tab

1. Pamela N Red profile image91
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

It would be a nice feature if when we click on a link it opened in a new window. Most other websites do this.

The main reason it is helpful is that HubPages still remains open giving a longer view time as well as keeping people on your site as they have to close the window to leave.

I have closed windows forgetting that HubPages was on the same tab and then had to create a new one to revisit my site or those of other writers.

Thank you for the consideration.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

HP used to have this option, but took it away for SEO purposes.

It is so easy to get into the habit of always right-clicking links, and choosing 'open in new tab'.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

An individual's browser settings can override the page setting, making the page setting moot.

3. Pamela N Red profile image91
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

True, but the general public aren't going to know how to do that. I personally find it helpful to have a hot link that opens a new tab.

4. tlpoague profile image88
    tlpoagueposted 4 years ago

I have to agree. I am not computer savy, so it would be helpful to me if something like this was already in place. I can't count how many times I have closed my tab only to realize I should have backed up to get back to where I left off reading.

5. Just Ask Susan profile image87
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

I read a hub about doing this and how it is done. I have not tried to do it yet but let me know if it works if one of you could. It is called Reader How to Keep Them and the hubber that wrote the hub is Sinea Pies.

6. lokoyizone profile image80
    lokoyizoneposted 4 years ago

I totally agree with you.It is one of the functions that I hope hubpages will adopt one of these days. Real soon.

7. Peter Hoggan profile image86
    Peter Hogganposted 4 years ago

It's not going to happen. There are serious usability issues with this i.e. it breaks the back button making previously visited pages difficult to return too. Apart from that I really don’t want anyone hijacking my browser. I will choose when I want to open a new tab or window.

8. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

They do it for Twitter, Blogger and Facebok but not the other sharing sites. I wonder why?

9. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

Tabs can increase bounce rates.   If you open a page in a new tab and then forget about it, Google counts that as a bounce..

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, that's not good at all. We want people to stay on our page in that case.