jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Stolen Material Question

1. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 4 years ago

Now, I could just behind the technology times and understand it all. So, I humbly ask for kind guidance.

I found stolen material of mine on a site. After hours of looking I finally found an email to sent the complaint to. They are refusing to because they say they are a wiki which means it is up to me to do that and them. Is that right? Do they run a site and refuse to help make it reliable when a situation is brought to their attention? I understand they cannot police everything but ignore it after it has been shown to them?

Thank you for your help.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Rebecca, if it's a wiki, that means you should be able to join the site and remove the material yourself.  I think that's what they're trying to tell you.

1. RGraf profile image86
        RGrafposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I just don't see how they can make me give them personal information and sign up with them to get my content off. Sounds like ransom.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 4 years ago

When I have trouble getting a site user or site owner to take down plagiarized material, I send a DMCA notice of infringement to the the company that is their ISP and I include a short note in with the notice about how whoever it was futher down the chain was unwilling to honor my request to remove the stolen material.

I've almost never, ever had to escalate a takedown notice further than that.

3. LoriSoard profile image80
    LoriSoardposted 4 years ago

I agree with relache. It works wonders. However, if you have access to their wiki, just make up a fake name or whatever for the info, then I would get it down from that site ASAP. Either that, or I would change it and fill it with links back to my own site. Moo ha ha ha (evil laughter)