jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Is Hubpages for sale?

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

There's talk another forum site that Hubpages may be on the market..anyone else hear this?

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OMG!

2. Sally's Trove profile image98
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What other forum site?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The ultimate question, Sally's Trove - interesting that it hasn't been answered yet, don't you think...? I hate it when people make these rash statements without the slightest microfibre of documentary evidence being provided. Maybe the forum in question is the "Homer Simpson down his local bar with Barney" forum...??? lol

1. Sally's Trove profile image98

Don't you just love it? Or, oops, hate it? smile

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
            Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Definitely. Maybe the HP team are having a few Duffs with Homer and Barney down at Mo's as we type, to explore the options... Happy Friday! lol

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

As far as I'm aware, there's no official word on this, nor even any buzz in the industry. 

It's just some Hubbers who are convinced some of the recent changes are a sign that the site is being prepared for sale.  I can see the logic in their argument, but it's still just conjecture.

At least it's unlikely we'll suffer the same fate as Today.com, where the owners sold the domain name but not the content - which meant everyone lost their blogs overnight.  There wouldn't be any value in doing that!  Or Helium.com, where writers didn't have the right to remove their content if they didn't like the new owners.

4. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I checked this out on a Google Search. #1 was someone at Hubpages selling his account for something like$10,000. I think it was a joke. The #2 ranked was this exact forum, so I don't think we need to worry yet.

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
        Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

At least I hope we don't need to worry.

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I can't find anything about this, but I did find a hubber who's offering his HP articles for sale.

3. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Why would that Shock Anyone?

Especially community members without any financial interest in the site that they have helped build... but were never offered or given an opportunity to hold a shareholding in? sad

I'm sure 98% of businesses in the US are For Sale! 
    That's generally the reason one goes out on a limb to develop a business!

The Ad cents have only ever been shiny beads for Bower Birds! big_smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image98

Said in words I wish I had at the moment but dinner's here. Agreed...now on to pizza.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Have you actually read this mystery forum or are you just trying to get people hysterical over someone selling a subdomain account or selling a top-level domain variant on the site name (e.g. Hubpages.info)?

5. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

So what if it were for sale?

Would that automatically be bad?

The retirement community my wife and I live in was just sold.  Nothing has changed for the homeowners.  The new company has more money and seems to be committed to the high end.  If anything, we might be better off.

New owners aren't necessarily doom and gloom.  If HP were sold, things might be better, they might be worse, they might be exactly the same.

6. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Could not be better and could only be worse. Who else is going to let us mouth-off the way we do?

working