jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What is the point of closing a poll?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

If the point of putting a poll in a hub is to engage with the visitor and get them to engage with your hub, what is the point of closing a poll so that there can be no more voting?

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Paul,

It could be a poll that someone only wanted to use to reach a specific number or they forgot to setup a secondary poll because the first one was based on time and numbers. Really, it could be any number of reasons why a person closes a poll.

Why do you ask?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
      PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think I am just trying to find out if there's something more to polls that I've missed.  (which happens!)  ;-)

I couldn't really think of a good reason to close a poll in this context.  To me, you're best off with an ongoing poll as far as HubPages go.  It's not like something happens at the end of it, like someone's elected, or gets a prize.  The poll is there mainly as a device to get people to hang around longer and interact and maybe click an ad as well as vote.

I suppose some people might be put off voting if there are already hundreds of votes already cast, so that might be a reason to re-start it from zero?

1. Stacie L profile image87
        Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I keep my polls open  and there are thousands on some of them! it tells me a lot of the way my readers think...

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Paul, it really depends on the author. Example: Relache has a poll on one of her hubs and she collects the data received from it. I think she resets it year over year, and asks people to re-take the poll or to take the poll(new people).

Polls can be used in various ways and can be open only for a specific period of time because of reasons only known to the author.

Just a thought.

4. JCielo profile image90
    JCieloposted 5 years ago

A pole could be set up for the sole purpose of getting feedback / market intelligenece of some sort. Mind you, once having sufficient numbers to allow you to make a decision or whatever you wanted it for, there would be no real reason to then shut it down. You've got the info. so why shut it?

working