Warning: Rant ahead

1. Bill Yovino profile image90
    Bill Yovinoposted 4 years ago

I create and test my own recipes. When I include a photo in a cooking hub, it is a photo that I shot of the product of that recipe. I see many, many hubbers, including "Elite" hubbers, publishing recipes they found on the Internet. And regardless of the source, many hubbers use photos (legally or otherwise) that aren't related to that specific recipe. This is really false advertising. You're saying "follow this recipe and this is what it will look like." In many cases, the result won't even be close because the photo was taken of an entirely different recipe.

One very popular hubber takes some recipes from the Internet, wraps a couple of paragraphs around them, downloads some photos and voila! Another successful hub. While this may not be against the rules, I don't think it's in the spirit of Hubpages.

As a photographer, I find far too many hubbers using photos to which they have no right. It's not ok to use photos you download from the Internet just because you name the source. Citing that the photo is from Martha Stewart's website doesn't make it legal. Unless Martha gives you permission, it's illegal for you to use it.

That is all.

1. mary615 profile image94
      mary615posted 4 years ago in reply to this

This has been my pet peeve for a long time.  I take original photos of my cooking, but I see others who don't.  I also see a lot of Hubs in the Hub Hopper that do not credit their  photos.  I have started flagging them, with a comment.  Maybe I shouldn't, but I agree with you.