Content - Rewritten

1. American_Choices profile image83
    American_Choicesposted 4 years ago

Today is a big day in the world of citizen writers. With the Wikipedia being taken down and others going down for hours.

I wish to share this with you concerning an article I just read: "Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

So what is "rewritten"? The story I read was close to my heart about a child dying in a swimming pool. I don't wish to rewrite the story but to share. What is the difference?

If we did not "rewrite" history how can we support history? If we did not discuss the death of a child drowning, how can we prevent deaths in the future?

Where does free speech and protection for content begin and end?

Doesn't linking back help the original content?

Should websites that don't monitor duplicate content be noted by the search engines?

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think rewritten means that if, for example, you wrote the story, "The Three Little Pigs" and then I came along and wrote the exact same story, but changed it in minor ways, then I am stealing your idea.

A Trio of Small Hogs
      By Shadesbreath

Once upon a time a trio of smalls hogs were out seeking homes. The first small hog, in a rush, decided he'd grab some tall blades of grass and weave his home. The two other small hogs thought that was a bad idea, so they went on down the road.

Along came a big bad coyote. The big bad coyote knocked on the grass door of the small hog's house and said, "Come out, come out, small hog. I want to welcome you to the neighborhood."

. . .

I think you can see how that will go. The coyote "wheezes and breezes" instead of huffs and puffs. Hog two uses branches for his home instead of sticks, hog three uses masonry rather than bricks.  Etc. So, given that it's "clearly different," is this an original story or am I just a thief? If your story was the original, wouldn't you be pissed? Especially if I get the movie deal and you get zip.