The SOFA and PIPA - Should we be concerned?

1. Rehana Stormme profile image92
    Rehana Stormmeposted 4 years ago

I live outside the US and I came across the SOFA and PIPA through the Wikipedia Blackout. These Acts are of great concern to me. Right now, the internet is the one medium that is bringing people around the world from all walks of life together. Many are resorting to the internet to get unbiased views about different issues, rather than the TV. There are so many people that are 'waking up'/becoming conscious, chucking their TVs as a source of disinformation and looking to the internet to try and get Truth.

The internet has been working fine for all these years - why does the government want to censor it now? If some sites are blocked, it's going to affect our research scope as hubbers...To write a neutral and well-rounded hub, we usually consult so many different sources. But with these Acts, isn't our scope as hubbers going to be affected?

What are your views on SOFA and PIPA? Are you concerned as an online writer? Down with the bill?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are several threads open about this already. smile

2. That Grrl profile image78
      That Grrlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I live outside the US too. The issue is mainly about entertainment content which is being copied/ pirated. They want tighter control and harsher punishments for using anything not your own. If you make your own graphics, write your own content and don't copy songs, etc. it won't have a huge effect on you. But, the fact that they want to pass a law with so much conrol over what gets published, how it is published is too much control to give corporations or governments.