jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

Improve Adsense Units

1. Shawn M. profile image60
    Shawn M.posted 5 years ago

Hey guys!

Just received a nice note from Adsense:

"We found that 125 of your ads aren't enabled to help you achieve your maximum earning potential.
        Upgrade your units    

Select all ad units
        From the Actions drop-down, edit ad type to "Text & Image / rich media ads"

Enabling your units to display both text and image/rich media ad types increases the number of ads competing to appear on your site. More advertisers in the ad auction drives higher bids and more revenue for you.

On average, publishers see a 68% increase in RPM earnings when they make these recommended changes."

Is it possible we will start to see increased adsense units like it was in the past? 

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Shawn

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Awhile back, a heap of hubbers got similar emails.

You can't actually change anything since you don't own the site or have access to the coding.

I think Hubpages staff response was something along the lines of "Unlike a personal website, different adverts work here, and we've experimented and found these ones work best."

2. Shawn M. profile image60

They work for who? I have seen a steady decline in earnings across all my hubs.

Thanks for the feedback WryLilt.

Many people have seen a loss in  Adsense earnings since the introduction of the HP ad program. sad

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For those who have enabled the Ad Program, sure. But they're making more combined than they were through AdSense alone.

The change in ad layout if you enable the Ad Program is shown here:
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I'm new here.  Please explain the steps you take to do this.  I can't even figure out how to get on the adsense website yet.

https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/affiliate/ - that's where you go to set up Adsense.

All your other questions should be answered here: http://hubpages.com/faq/

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

If you run your own website, that's the best place to take action on that sort of advice.

5. Shawn M. profile image60

Relache, yeah, there is a lot of value in building out your own site. The greatest results for me have been in making sure I engage users, find out what they are looking for an build around those needs. Shawn

6. tribook profile image59
    tribookposted 5 years ago

I've had good results using my own website that I can control the ads along with hubpages to increase traffic and help share information.  Both site types have different benefits which allows me to make more money than if I just focused on one.

7. Shawn M. profile image60

Jason Menayan, I had tried the Hubpages Ad program when it first came out and the result were not great. Are the additional ad units different than when the program first came out or the same?

If you tried it at the very beginning, I would say you didn't take advantage of Google competitive bidding on ad spots which were rolled out later. The custom javascript was also rolled out just a few months ago.

Given that AdSense and other Google ads can fill Ad Program spots, and with more than 3 ad units total (their normal limitation), I have a hard time imagining anyone doing better with AdSense alone than in conjunction with the Ad Program.

1. frogdropping profile image87
        frogdroppingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well Jason I can provide you with proof. I certainly don't make the money that did with HPads.

You can always switch back to AdSense only. There have been several people who say they earn more that way. It would be great if you could report your relative earnings here if you do end up doing that.

Am I allowed though? Maybe I will get it down to %'s - that can't get me into trouble. And I tried adsense only on HP (post HPads) and was even worse off. Sadly, this also doesn't include the big loss I (and many others I suppose) experienced with Amazon going down the swanny (sp) sad

Oh and I sound confused - I meant (for anyone reading through) that I used to make better money with Adsense only ad-blocks and Amazon sales before HPads arrived on the site.

You shouldn't share actual CPMs, CTRs or the like, but you can say "Program A had a 20% higher page CPM than Program B." It's best to make sure you're comparing apples to apples, so on a page CPM basis is best (i.e. total earnings per 1000 Hub views).

Ok - I can go with the % then. Will go do the math smile

8. Shawn M. profile image60

Jason,

I appreciate the feedback on this and I will give the Hub & Adsense a test for February.

Thanks again!

Shawn

working