jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Putting keyword research to good use

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

OK, so I've been reading the forums and the learning center articles and finally I'm trying to give this keyword thing a shot.

I read the learning center article on using the google keyword tool, and it says to look for keywords that are searched between 500 and 40,000 times a month. That's a big spread. I've found one that is searched 8,100 times and a similar one that is searched 18,100 times.

Do I go for the one with the bigger number and risk getting lost, or do I go with the smaller one so I can be a bigger fish in a smaller pond?

Also, the learning center article references an “Estimated Avg. CPC” box I can check, but I don't see that option. Do I have to buy a subscription to get that info?

Thanks as always for helping an SEO newbie.

1. authorfriendly profile image81
      authorfriendlyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would say the newer you are the smaller the number of searches, unless you are writing a ton of hubs and then you might aim for striking it rich

2. janderson99 profile image87
      janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this
    3. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do a google search for those keywords.  Look at how many results the search comes up with - that's your competition for those keywords.  Keep in mind that you need to be in the top ten to see results.  Take note of who has published the articles on page one; you won't compete much with wikipedia, for instance, or with CBS News.

Make that information a part of your decision on which keyword to use.  Or work them both in the the text.

4. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you are signed-in, then you can see the estimated avg. CPC.

Also, you can see something about the competition for the keywords directly from the Keyword Tool - just click on the keyword link, and another window will open with search results.  That will help give you an idea of whether you can compete with the results that are on page 1.

I have a related question:  if you are making a choice between high-traffic/low estimated avg. CPC and low-traffic/high estimated avg. CPC, which would you choose?  Does it matter whether you are with HP Ads or with Adsense only?

2. Chuck Bluestein profile image89
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 4 years ago

This is  a gamble. If you think that you can do really well with SEO, then go for the bigger one. If not, then go for the smaller one.

3. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

Go with them all, why limit yourself, write both!!! But check the competition on page one of the SERPS first..

If all the sites are pagerank 5, have the keywords in the URL, title, images etc then don't bother! If they don't then with the right work you can sneak yourself in there..

Good luck

4. rancidTaste profile image57
    rancidTasteposted 4 years ago

Keywords may be helpful sometimes but I found that creative, unique contents are much more important. Previously, I thought that keywords are important, but recently I start publishing hubs ignoring the keywords and I found lots of traffic than I expected.

This is my opinion. However, its your option which method you follow or not.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you have a good nose for what people are looking for and can predict what people will be interested in before the keywords pop up in the adwords tool you can do very well.