jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

The internet wars begin

1. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 4 years ago

CEO Kim  - Dotcom - Schmitz and three associates have been arrested by NEW ZEALAND police for the US Government - now we know what all those new jails are for  that have been built in the US,  they are for  other nationals maybe.

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/20/megaup … um=twitter

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep, the war has begun alright....  All I can say is that I'll be keeping a close eye on what happens next week, as I remember reading that allegedly SOPA and PIPA are supposed to get voted on soon.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

This was a Major Event here yesterday and I find it very interesting that the NZ Government have acted on this at a time to correspond with the SOPA BS before the US Government.  How damn convenient! 

Megaupload and it's founders really did consider NZ a soft touch after Schmitz bought his residency here for $10mil. Well they repo-ed all the toys, cash and assets.. so I guess there will be some bargains at the next police auctions!

This will be used as justification for the endorsing of SOPA.. sad

Apparently the Hackers - Anonymous - have decked the FBI sites in direct response to this event! 

With 150,000,000 registered end users worldwide on the website, now watch how they justify investigating those members and their identities!  I guess if I was a member of this site.. I would have to be concerned at my personal data being abused by this excuse for a crooked launch of a bill that will in time backfire! sad

1. Greekgeek profile image98
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The problem with Anonymous jumping in is that it reinforces the idea that MegaUpload was just a site for hackers and pirates.

In fact, many law-abiding small businesses and individuals just got caught in the crossfire. THOUSANDS of people just lost their small business files, their creative work (computer programmers, musicians and video artists used the site to exchange files and collaborate), and in some sad cases, people lost all their family documents. Some people were storing all their photos on MegaUpload if they didn't have room for them on their hard drives. They never dreamed the government would just come in and seize their property even if they were doing NOTHING WRONG.

With MegaUpload shut down, they've lost access to their own documents, their own work, their own precious files. Their own, mind you, NOT pirated. So it's actually a form of government-sponsored piracy, only worse, because at least the pirates don't block your access to your own stuff.

This is exactly the sort of thing the anti-SOPA movement was trying to point out, but the news is totally ignoring it.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Don't use cloud storage, or if you do make sure it is backed up.