jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

What's the proper etiquette when hubs with spacing problems are found?

1. Kris Heeter profile image87
    Kris Heeterposted 5 years ago

I've run across several hubs by others that have words running together consistently throughout the hubs.  It almost seems too frequent to be standard typos. It almost seems like an artifact of copying/pasting into capsules and perhaps the hubber isn't aware that it's happening.  I've been seeing this at least once or twice a week.

In any case, what's the proper etiquette to help these hubbers? 

Is it better to leave kind comment or to flag it and let HP address it?

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If it was one of my hubs, I'd prefer a kind comment. I'd then fix the problem, delete the comment, and leave a thank you comment in response.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would be suspicious that someone that careless is up to something.

I can't believe a real writer would publish several Hubs and not notice the words running together. So it could be a spammer who has copied and pasted someone else's work and doesn't care enough to check it before publishing.

You could try checking a sentence or two in Google search.

3. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Flag them.

Words running together consistently across a number of hubs is suggestive of spinning/copying software.

I'm surprised none of the experienced hubbers here mentioned that.

All of us, whether we write on Word or whatever, have the ability to spell-check before publishing.

So a couple of words got binded together, we simply add the space in the correct place.

Software, or completely non-English speakers, can't do that.

It's a dead give-away!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I did mention it was a hint of a spun hub if most of the article was that way.

4. rebekahELLE profile image90
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The hub you commented on before opening this thread appears to have been translated from his non-English speaking blog. It also contains a trademark in the image. Hubs like that should be flagged

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is also miscatagorized.

1. rebekahELLE profile image90
          rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yes, and the image source link goes to his blog. Hubs like that are what we should be concerned about flagging, he's simply looking for backlinks to his site and being misleading and manipulative.
          I don't go around looking for hubs to flag, but if I found that one, it would get flagged, and it did.

Sally, it's the teacher in me - 'research the facts given.' smile

2. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

You can also contact most of us through HubPages email, so leaving your comment in private, through the email might be appreciated by some.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

....but remember that if you email another Hubber, you reveal your email address to that person.

2. livewithrichard profile image86
      livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1 

A private message to the author if you think the article is good, if it's already a crappy article then why bother.

I'm not a content cop so I really don't care how people get their ideas or write their hubs so I'm not going to go off and research if the article was copied. It's just not worth my time.  If the article provides the information I'm looking for and it is otherwise well written then I send a private message. I don't leave it in the comments so others can find fault later.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I have noticed when I paste my own work that some words run together. I double check all my work before I publish and then right after. I always seem to miss some before publishing.

If most of the hub is like that you can assume they have used a spinner or copied it from someone else.

4. Sally's Trove profile image98
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

A year or so ago what Kris is describing was caused by a problem with how capsules were handling text...spaces were being eliminated, making words run together. Some of you older timers may remember that.

Maybe Kris is in the frontline of an HP problem.

5. Sally's Trove profile image98
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

After having read...

http://nuwar.hubpages.com/hub/info-tips … nt-7300862

...one of the most recent Hubs Kris commented on, I flagged it as spun.

So much for my idea of an HP problem. smile

TY, rebekahELLE, for the kick in the butt to go look at what Kris was seeing.

1. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Even so, it's good to be reminded that sometimes these things may be caused by a glitch of some kind.  I would think that without knowing the reason for the problem, the best thing to do is still to flag it.  If it is an engineering glitch, we would probably be notified in a forum thread pretty quickly.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Absolutely. I went and looked too, and would have flagged that hub long before I thought of commenting, far less starting a forum thread about it.

So thanks, Rebekah smile

working