jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)

Do you submit your hub articles to ping services?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image85
    BlissfulWriterposted 4 years ago

Wordpress submits each post to ping services like pingomatic.  Should we be submitting our Hubs to these services or submit a ping each time we post a new Hub?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good questions. I don't but answer would be interesting.

2. learner365 profile image80
      learner365posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know about the individual Hubs but i have personally submitted my main hubpage URL to pingomatic. I would also like to know if we should ping the individual Hubs every time we post.

2. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

Great question. I look forward to reading all the answers.

3. Pearldiver profile image88
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Why would you? Each time you ping your work 3 words fall off your page.. did you never consider that? sad

4. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

I was pinging my little heart out for a while, but it became too cumbersome and I was too dumb to figure out what Learner365 did: just use pinger or feedshark for the main page.

Someone said to go to Google and Bing and index the main page there. I tried that and hope that it will help.

5. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

Pinging alerts some search engines that new content is now available on your blog. You can ping just the hub or your profile page/ home page of your blog, etc... the search engine spider will be alerted to look for something new.  Many people here, me included, ping and get indexed by Google within a few hours, sometimes sooner.  Now that we are all on sub domains, it is important to ping at least our own main page(profile) only once every time we publish something new.  Do not send out massive amounts of pings using several different services, this can get you banned from the search engines for spamming their servers.

Pinging is not going to get you a backlink, it's not going to bring your hub higher in the serps, and it's not going to bring you more traffic.  All it will do is alert the search engines that you have new content.  However, the sooner you are indexed the sooner you can attain the backlinks, traffic, and serp position.

1. Don Simkovich profile image59
      Don Simkovichposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You've earned a credible spot in my mind with your thorough answers on the forums and your hubs.

2. Rosie2010 profile image83
      Rosie2010posted 4 years ago in reply to this

thanks, Richard.  I used to ping every time I edited my hubs, but had been too  busy lately.  So, thanks for the reminder.  Cheers!

6. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

I haven't used pings in many, many years.

If you are known to Google as a site that publishes regularly, they will crawl incredibly quickly.  I have seen access from Google searches in my web logs within fifteen minutes at times.  I don't have access to logs here, of course, but I bet it's pretty quick.

I also notice now that if I mention a new post on Google+, the G+ mention is indexed almost instantly, 

I don't know (or care) when Bing finds it.

But really, unless you are publishing something that is really news, why would you care?  Fifteen minutes or a day, so what?  If you wanted it there yesterday, you should have written it then smile

7. Garrett Mickley profile image81
    Garrett Mickleyposted 4 years ago

I ping each hub when I post it, and I pinged my home page once we switched over to sub domains, but any more than that looks fishy.  Don't ping a lot, just when you write something new.

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

I used to ping each new hub, but never found it very effective in getting indexed any quicker.  In fact, I've had at least one hub that took over 6 weeks to get indexed by google.

Far better, in my opinion, is to use WebMaster Tools to request that a googlebot visit the hub.  Indexing seldom takes over 24 hours that way.

9. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

I only Ping when it's an article/page that needs to get in the search engines RIGHT NOW. For instance I pinged an article that I wrote within an hour of Facebook updating their news feed. Because the information was immediately relevant I knew that I'd get hits straight away but then it would likely change again. It was indexed within 5 minutes and had 20,000 hits within a day.

If it's an evergreen topic though, one day doesn't matter. Pinging only really gets you indexed quicker, and if your site is well known, as Pcunix said, pinging will only change the indexing time by a few minutes most of the time.

I do have my Wordpress sites set up to automatically ping through Pingler though.

Also agree with livewithrichard.

10. freelanceauthor profile image59
    freelanceauthorposted 4 years ago

I always do every time a new hub is published for SEO purposes. Many of my hub visitors are coming from search engines. Pinging your hub will also make it indexed by search engines faster

11. sofs profile image86
    sofsposted 4 years ago

I ping my hubs when I have changed the title, edited and tweaked it or added more content to it..Has been helpful.

12. LoriSoard profile image80
    LoriSoardposted 4 years ago

I usually don't bother with it because I've not noticed a significant difference with or without on my own blogs.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago

I don't bother with anything that might conceivably annoy Google.  As I only write everbrown content it doesn't really matter much.

Everbrown?  It means no one ever goes near it.

1. lorenmurcia profile image87
      lorenmurciaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. Don Simkovich profile image59
      Don Simkovichposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey, maybe you should write a hub on everbrown content! Could be a niche area to exploit.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
        Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's not too shabby an idea.  Could be a new angle on SEO.