Why do people "Vote Down" correct answers in the Q&A Section?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

I've seen answers and mostly were really the best possible answer to that particular question. The answer actually makes others redundant or of lesser value.

So, why do these answers get a vote down?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess its from the other hubbers who thing their answers are right. Not sure though.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, definitely.  I've seen my own answers voted down.  I assume it's either by angry political types or some religious person I "offended" by being an atheist.  And no, these weren't religious or political questions, more like "When did you first get paid" (which in my case was in 2003 for Adsense and only after almost 18 months from HPADS here).  You could understand not voting it up, but voting it down?  Has to be just general nastiness.

OOps, no it wasn't that one but something like it..

I'm quite sure they do the same thing to hubs, though we can't see it there.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't take an interest in Q&A voting. The only incorrect answers are the ones that aren't offered.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have seen nearly  all my answers to questions I actually posted myself voted down at least once. Bizarre. The only time I vote down an answer is when the answer  is obviously derogatory to the person who posted the question or towards one of the other people answering.  you can identify them by the person telling someone that they are paranoid, stupid, etc.
        I don't vote things down because I disagree with them. I just ignore it. If this were a case like WebAnswers where the person answering the questions got money based upon how they were rated I would bother voting things up or down. But since it is not, I only vote things down that are derogatory.

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually that's not bizarre because you aren't supposed to be answering your own questions.  If you knew the answer to your own question, and wanted to have a discussion, you should be posting in the forums.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

okay. That clears up something that was confusing me. Now I understand.

As to when I have answeedr my own questions:
            When I answered my own questions it was simply to respond to another person's answer that already existed.  Like when Writeronline  suggested he was stupid or shallow  to worry about his score reaching 100 , I told him not to call himself stupid or shallow. Or when Pollyannalana told me I thought that someone was after me I responded to her answer.

But since I am not supposed to respond to my own questions, it stands to reason that it doesn't matter what I say in my answer as it would then get voted down. I could give a wonderful response and it would still be voted down.

Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind. If I need to respond to someone's answer I will try to find a different way.

I should add of course that under the circumstances there was no way I would contact said person who was abusive. Pointless.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a good example of how the Questions/Answers section just causes confusion.  It was originally meant as a place to ask questions because you wanted someone to write a Hub in reply. It was meant as a place you could go for ideas to write about. Now it's just a second forum.

So far no one has written a hub in reply to any of my questions, just answers - even if the responses were long enough to create their own hubs, or just needed maybe 100 words more.  Thinking about this as someone who only joined seven months ago-likely *long* after this change happened - I think the staff should change the way you can respond to questions. It should be made so that no one can respond in any way except as a hub.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And now I see when people attach a hub to the answer they get down votes because people don't understand how it works.

Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Yes, like the one where someone voted down all the correct answers about how HP Ads pay. Or the one where someone asked for peoples opinion on Tilapia fish and everyone who said they liked it received a down vote.

It is very silly and petty, sometimes it seems to be based on the person who gave the answer by someone who has a bug about this person smile

rLcasaLmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh my! He must have hated the person to vote it down. I can actually see this voting down to a particular person. Do you find the same?

2. rLcasaLme profile image69

I also want to apologize Susan if at one time I was somehow sounded offensive. Sorry about that. sad

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@UW, I saw that too and I have been wondering the same thing with my answers too. I have noticed at times that nearly all the answers to a question might be voted down except for one or two. It doesn't make sense.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Don't worry about it, I didn't take offence.

Glad to hear that. smile

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I don't mind what people do to answers because answering questions doesn't make me money or make me lose money. big_smile

1. shimmering Dawn profile image70
      shimmering Dawnposted 12 years ago

They do what they can... because they have the power to do so lol
      The answer section is always a silly place!

2. sweetzara profile image76
      sweetzaraposted 12 years ago

Maybe they vote it down because even though the answer is correct, it is not one that they agree with.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

If I vote, it is for the answer that I "like" best.

4. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years ago

The answer section vote buttons should be labelled "agree" and "disagree" as that would more accurately reflect the action people take when they vote on replies.

i agree to that.
        I just can't understand why would a correct answer be voted down. An answer they like can be voted up, and an inappropriate or wrong answer can be voted down. But a correct answer? voting it down? I just don't get it. yikes

2. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a good suggestion, relache.  I have had many answers voted down when they were completely accurate or opinionated (like who are my favorite poets).  I think it is so silly that people abuse those buttons and if they read differently, maybe the red arrow would make more sense to others.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

Amen.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I dunno, but when I see a stupid question asked, and then every dissenting answer voted down....I pretty much know that the poster asked did it, and I then choose to "unfollow" them if applicable, and ignore them from then on.

Case in point - the fellow who make the absurd and totally fail embracing question /claim that "why do people waste time protesting, it doesn't do any good."

All aboard the fail boat!
      http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6067658_f248.jpg

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, we shouldn't have tried to protest SOPA/PIPA. big_smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

I should have used that example there...but it would have gotten down voted as well.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I've seen this happen with my answers to questions, especially when they involve, like Susan says, a preference for something. I remember the first time I noticed this, I was answering a question about favourite horror actors. I chose actors from the studio system era and mentioned that I seemed to be the first person to mention classic actors. People likely define classic actor quite differently and some people probably have never seen Boris Karloff and Vincent Price so...got voted down.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I vote down stuff I don't like.  [shrug]

8. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

The purpose of the voting in the answers section is to identify whether the answer is actually attempts to answer the question.  But many times people vote it down if they do not agree with the answer.  Maybe they feel that if they vote others down, then theirs will rise to the top as the best answer, even though a best answer is not required here.

You mean the responses where someone trail off into unrelated subjects? Yes, I've seen those kind of responses too.

9. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I personally believe that not only do people vote down answers, spitefully or by being just petty, they vote down other people's hubs too, even when those hub are useful, well written hubs. That's my honest opinion and that's not fair that people have that sort of power to do such things to other people.

The voting down of the answers don't bother me much as I've noticed that majority of my answers in the last month have been voted down, but I am upset that people get the chance to vindictively vote down your hub too.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I honestly don't know why they still have those silly voting buttons.  HP confirmed long ago that voting up or down has very little effect on your HubScore and it certainly doesn't affect anything else. So they're pretty much just there for show.

1. Cardisa profile image87

I think a hub or article should stand on it's own merit especially since they say our hubs belong to our domain. If I had my own website then why would I have vote buttons on my articles? It doesn't make sense since the domain switch.

10. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

If a person is consistently voting down hubs of a particular person, that person's URL can be traced back to the person through HP and that person can receive a backlash via the staff. It will show up on hubber score banning  etc. In my own interests to avoid certain people, I stopped using  the hub hopper so that I would never have to read the person even by accident. You can also block the person from showing up on your home page.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

I just believed that people are doing petty things here. Like the voting down of the answers, that so childish.

You're welcome. That said, I am sure there are plenty of petty people who have nothing better to do with their time. Those of us who do have other things to do, just bypass said people and get on with the day.

Yeah, I think those voting down the answers think that having their answer on top does something for their hubberscore or maybe gets them accolades.

Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are talking about the answers not hubs.

I did mention the hubs as my own opinion that's all but Flora mentioned that HP would have done something about it. No more about the hubs now.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

yes, I was just responding to Cardisa. My mistake for posting it as if it were a separate answer to the original thread, rather than as a response to her comment. My fault.

11. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

oh, Marisa: I just thought of something else - Is our participation in the Q&A forums as a responder (I don't think that is an actual word) indeed part of our overall user score as a lot of people think? maybe that is where the change began?

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point..

I dislike the whole Answer section for so many reasons.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Well, they're not "Q&A forums" - just goes to show the impression they create, when you use the word forum for them, even though you know better! 

If you're active on the site, that improves your score - but there isn't a quota for forums, a quota for Q&A, a quota for comments etc.  It's just activity generally.  I ignore the Q&A most of the time but it doesn't seem to hurt my score smile

oops! I used that word automatically without thinking.

3. Becky Katz profile image79
        Becky Katzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Flora, when I answer a question, it will take my hubscore up a few points. I believe that means that yes, it affects your hubscore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)