jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Help... I am writing a hub and it gave me a warning...

1. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 4 years ago

The warning says your hub appears to be about tobacco. We are not allowed to write about tobacco? Its a review about the electronic cigarettes.. Is that allowed on Hubpages? I seen other people write reviews on them. Why can't I?

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Remember, Google forbids any content that promotes tobacco products (which includes electronic cigarettes).  The filters don't know if you are trying to sell those items or otherwise encourage use, or if you are writing something cautionary, so they are warning you.  It's up to you to heed that warning or not as you make you Hub.

1. kmackey32 profile image82
      kmackey32posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh ok, gotcha. Thanks I got scared for a moment.....lol
      I'm not trying to sell them...

3. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I had written one (without thinking) about possible health hazards of electronic cigarettes.  It was doing well.  It was clear I wasn't selling them.  Still, it occurred to me that someone might construe that I was either implying that electronic cigarettes could be safe enough for people to use, or else implying that they shouldn't use them (and maybe also implying that not trying to quit smoking real cigarettes by using electronic ones might be wise).  Basically, I just wasn't sure who might think I was implying what. (Since I tried to keep it objective and without any sides, I figured that meant people might interpret things their own way, which is what people tend to do anyway roll) - so I just figured I'd dump the Hub because I didn't want to take any chances with my Ad Sense account.  Personally, I just stay away from anything that's at all a "questionable" subject when I know Ad Sense is a factor.

Saying e.cigarettes are good suggests promoting them.  Saying they're bad (when there's not evidence/proof to back that up) could potentially open someone up to a lawsuit (or at least some trouble).  Remaining neutral can leave room for that misinterpretation.  I just see that subject as "lose, lose, lose" (or at least at high risk of "lose").  It's too bad, too, because that was a far better Hub than a lot of the others I have on here.  hmm  Maybe getting rid of it wasn't even necessary, but I just didn't want to take any chances.