Is this another Google Panda or what?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

I noticed last week that traffic to my hubs surge, and i was very happy but surprisingly things started changing about two days ago when i saw declined in my daily page views. More so, most of my hubs on google first page are now on page two. Can someone tell me what's the problem with GOOGLE?

1. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am also having the same problem for the last 7 days. Less traffic and hubs ranking down to 1 or 2 pages in google.

Even after the weekend is over no improvement at all.

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

incomeguru,
      My traffic has also been going down. At first I thought it would level out but it hasn't and just keeps dropping. I have no idea why.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

What's the problem with Google? smile

Google isn't worried where your hubs sit on public view... you are! big_smile

The info you seek... is available directly from them you know.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Google has been making constant adjustments since the implementation of Panda, so no, this isn't a new Panda, it's the same one we've had for nearly a year.

4. incomeguru profile image95

But immediately i switched to subdomain, my hubs traffic were rising. So how come the drastic decline in page views that started less than a week now...

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Weekends tend to be a little slower with traffic so see what happens. Google makes constant updates so I can't say for sure if that has anything to do with it.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sort out a subscription to WebPro News also... this will give you a source of everyday info on all sorts of issues. You will find their blog and mail good value.  They seem to always be spot on info-wise on the search engines and basic tech issues. Check them out and drop me a line if you find them ok.. there are a couple of other companies that I find excellent also.

5. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Panda itself is not a ongoing application.  Rather it is a program that is run as a single application not a continuous ongoing one.  So they Google  may decide to run it say next weekend and then it finishes until they choose to run it again

1. profile image0
      SusieQ42posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google took over 50% of my hubpage earnings last month.  Anyone know why that happened?  I thought they only keep 40% and me 60!

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google doesn't take any earnings from you. 60 and 40 per cent applies to you and hubpages only.

1. profile image0

Oh, I thought it was google!  Then Hub Pages took over 50%!!  Why was this?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
            PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google take their cut from adsense, then what's left is split 60/40 between hubbers and HP.  HP Ads is just split 60/40.  That's my understanding.  (Amazon and eBay have other systems)

1. profile image0

That explains it all!  Thanks Paul.

1. wilderness profile image93
                wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can you tell how much the total earnings were?

What is reported in adsense is your 60% cut; HP's 40% doesn't show anywhere.  If half of that disappeared it's because adsense decided the clicks were invalid for some reason.

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

There was a Google change last week but it probably was not that, as it was said that it is supposed to affect only 1% of search results. It was to do with the location of ads. on a page. To cut it down to a sentence, they want searchers to find information above the fold not multiple adds. I am happy for anyone to give a better version of this if they wish to, there's a couple of forum posts from last week about it.

HubPages split is 60% of the time you 40% of the time Hubpages.

BTW Google takes its cut not from the amount that appears in your adsense account.

The amounts of money that appear in your adsense account is the amount you get paid, unless they reduce it once they have made final adjustments and no one touches that - Google or HubPages.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I'm not seeing anything strange on my stats.  My traffic is going up, and I'm going to assume that it's because I've learned over time how to create better hubs.  I've also deleted at least a dozen of them, and moved them to blogger or blogspot - the hubs that weren't performing well probably lowered the ..."value" of my whole subdomain, at least that's my theory.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That seems to be the general consensus...

How do you (personally) decide what isn't performing well for you?

A lot of my hubs are great one week and terrible the next.  I'm having trouble deciding if they're under-performing or what.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, a lot of the things that I deleted were things that were really blogs and shouldn't have been hubs ever to begin with.

I came to Hubpages from Myspace, and I'd sometimes just tell stories and get ten pages of comments from folks, and so I'd think "this must be good."

Well, Myspace was a total social site, and ...totally different kind of community.

So when I joined hubpages, I took what had done well on Myspace, deleted it, and put it here....stuff I just didn't want to lose, you know. 

Well, obviously, I didn't know how the internet worked, or how this site worked - so most of those things performed very poorly here.

I didn't join blogger until a while after joining Hubpages - so I took the blogs and moved them to the blog site, is all.

I've also moved a few that were designed to be hubs...If I'm seeing ten page views on something in an entire month, then to me that's just WAY poor.  If I've already taken the time to create it...then I'm not likely to want to waste it, so I'll move it to Blogger.  I've got a ton of different blogs there, and most things will fit well within one blog or another.  I also really like the Adsense deal on blogger - there's no split with anyone when you get clicks there - it's just between you and Google.

Ah.  I just removed everything that had less than 30 hits in the last month, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

That's excluding the ones that were published in the last month, I'll give them at least 3 months.

I also kept one V-Day hub to see how that fairs until V-Day.  If it doesn't have 30+ hits between January 15th and February 14th then I'll take it down.

Thanks for the insight.

Good move.

This whole deal was a learning process for me - I've found several niches that do bring steady traffic, and so now I know what I can do that does work and earn some money.

I think the Hubpages staff really does lay good guidelines for what it considers "good."  Of course something getting more than ten search engine hits a day is relatively successful.  Obviously, we all want more than that.

In other words - if I'm getting two to five search engine views per day on something, I consider it "descent," but ten I think of as "success."

I've found though that patience is important - as more than once I've published something that sat and did nearly nothing for six months or more before it started to get ten to fifty search engines views per day.

So ...I wouldn't ever take something down from Hubpages that wasn't at least six months old either.

My issue is that hits don't necessarily mean good.  Some of the stuff I took down was great content from a readers standpoint, but because I was late on the train or outranked by articles with more backlinks, I didn't get hits.

If other people are out there building backlinks in the same niche, someone who isn't doing backlinks won't stand a chance.

I've concluded that backlinks don't matter that much any more.  I don't usually do but five to ten backlinks for anything.

But the level of competition IS still important.  I did a hub just last week on Melatonin and Valerian Root - and I don't think it's got a search engine view yet...all the things I've published recently start getting search engine traffic within a day or two - except that one, and I'm pretty sure that it's not got any yet due to it probably being a high competition subject.

Still, I think I'll win in the end - it'll just take more time for Google to recognize that readers like the page compared to the millions other pages on the subject.

Backlinks are still a major part of the game.  I've proven that to my self with my hubs.

2. profile image0

I may do the same, Wesman.  It seems that my lowest scored hubs are always just that.   They are mostly my poems.  This is where I work hard...editing or changing the title or maybe an image, trying to increase their score.  Who really knows?  I do see more views after editing and revising.

1. profile image0

My best hub has 400 hits now; a hub about the street artist, Julian Beever.  I didn't think stories about artists went well but surprise!  You can also check out your stats - traffic and Hub Metrics (under stats) to see how they're doing.

8. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

incomeguru,
    I have been on the same roller coaster. I am sea sick now....

9. incomeguru profile image95

Thanks everybody for your words of encouragement. Traffic to my hubs from search now rising.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)