jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

How Do I Change A Hub's URL?

1. Leah Helensdottr profile image82
    Leah Helensdottrposted 5 years ago

I started to create a hub a few days ago about the origin of the nursery rhyme "Ring Around The Rosy."  I changed my mind, deleted all of the content, and started a new hub, "How Mom Quelled the Great Panic."  I just published it, and noticed that the scary-sounding URL from the deleted-content hub is there instead of the correct URL.  How can I fix this?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

While you can easily change the title for a hub, there is no way to change the URL.

Leah Helensdottrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ack!  Can I delete the hub? I could copy the content onto my computer and then create a new hub.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can delete the old one, but it has already been indexed by the search engines. Therefore, you could run into duplicate content issues. So you may want to leave the hub unpublished for awhile first.

Okay.  I've unpublished it (it was only published for about 15 minutes) and copied the content to my computer.  How long is "awhile"?

1. profile image0

Until the old hub is no longer indexed by the search engines, which is what would trigger the duplicate content filter. Or you could contact HubPages, explain what you are doing, and ask them to help you out.

Can you give me an idea how long that will take?  A day?  A month?  A year? How can I check to see if it's happened?  And I thought I WAS contacting Hubpages by asking my question in this forum, so I'm confused.  Could you please tell me the correct way to contact them?  Thanks!

1. profile image0

The hub is no longer indexed when you search for it and it neither shows up in the search engines nor in their cached versions of the content. It could take 1 month. Contacting HubPages: team@hubpages.com. Using the forums is not contacting them.

Excellent!  Thank you so much for your help.

1. profile image0

You are very welcome!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

It's no big deal if the title of your hub and URL are different. People find it both ways. I have several that do well that have a different title than the URL.

Thanks for that helpful info, UW.  Unfortunately, the URL is kind of scary-sounding, and it leads to a hub about my very nice mother!  I should have been more careful...

working