jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

Staff: How long after flagging a hub do you take to do something?

1. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

Dear staff. There are violations being done by many people who have been on HP for many months and even years. Some people have 90% of their hubs in violation. Sometimes I wonder how long it takes after the initial flagging by the community for you to do something, because there have been times that those hubs are never reviewed.

As we speak there are hubbers with prominent violations that have been flagged and still the violations remain.  I am not talking about lack of content or some simple violations, I am talking about the serious kind that Google really frowns and and could get some people or the site in trouble. I am also talking about plagiarism!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Cardisa, when a Hub is flagged, it goes into the moderation queue and has to wait its turn.  So if the queue is long, it can take a long time for the Hub to be moderated.  Immediately after Panda, it took weeks! 

That said, glitches do seem to happen - Hubs are flagged but somehow never make it on to the queue.  So if you see a Hub that you flagged several weeks ago, flag it again just in case.

If you're flagging for plagiarism, make sure you give full details in the text box including a link to the original material.

The other thing I notice is that people often complain that nothing has been done about a Hub they reported - and it turns out they emailed the team instead of using the flagging system.  Sending an email seems to be a much less reliable way of reporting violations, I guess because emails containing links sometimes get sent to HP's spam folder.

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My experiences with DMCA complaints has been, in two separate instances, that the issue was resolved within 24 hours.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 5 years ago

Hey Cardisa,
    Marisa Wright is right on here.
    Our moderation team reviews flagged Hubs seven days a week and is constantly addressing Hubs that don't meet our publishing standards. The problem is, of course, that there are more flagged Hubs than we can deal with immediately. The time it will take for us to get to something a Hubber has flagged varies, but believe me, we're doing it as quickly as we can smile

Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Simone. There is a hubber who has 90% hubs with watermarked photos and when I ckecked, photos that are used without permission are also considered plagiarism. When a you purchase a photo the watermark is removed. Shutterstock or Fotilo and other online stock photos watermark photos for display, they remove the watermark after purchasing.

1. profile image0

The only way to know if there is sufficient permission is a DMCA complaint. It is up to the rights-holder to file. Otherwise, I don't see it as an evident copyright violation - more a substandard issue.

For example, someone could put a watermark on a public domain photo. It would still be in the public domain. Or someone could put a watermark on their own photo, and it would still be theirs.

When you use well known watermarked photos like Shutterstock with logo and everything the it becomes a copyright issue. When you purchase photos online from stock photos the watermark is removed. It's different if you place your own mark. But these businesses watermark their photos to prevent unauthorized use.

Even so WE, with over half the hubs with the watermark violation, that isn't good at all.

1. profile image0

Cardisa, it doesn't sound good to me, either. If I were a moderator, I'd be happy to look right into it for you.

As they say, I have to give them time to go down the list. I only noticed it yesterday. I was just surprised that non of the hubs were moderated.

There should be a way to detect watermarked photos too.

1. profile image0

Another good point, I must concede.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Spot on.  There's no need to debate whether the photos are or are not legal- watermarks are simply not allowed. Cardisa, I hope you flagged them as "Watermarked or pixelated photos" rather than copied content.

Yes Marisa I did that. I didn't want to confuse the whole thing...lol

working