jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Question about Copyright

1. Susana S profile image90
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

Over the last few months I've found articles of mine that have been spun or rewritten, but that contain many of the same partial sentences.

How much text needs to be copied in order to file a DMCA?

Do I have a leg to stand on in this type of situation?

Edit: I found this which has a small section on rewriting text http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

1. WryLilt profile image86
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know the percentage but I filed a DMCA about one of mine that was spun and it got removed.

Although in the end, I guess it depends how well they spun it - if they lost all the keywords and it's not duplicate content, it may not hurt your article.

Susana Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Was that with google Wry?

It's more a matter of principal for me - it just makes me mad! mad

I found several examples of this type of thing on one particular website that we all know and love *cough* and they haven't removed the articles. Every time I think about it my brain boils!

The original site took it down,  but it was some type of rev share site, can't remember which.

I'm not sure which site you mean, there are too many that we "know and love" smile

Let's just say it's very close to home.

yikes Hope it's not what I'm thinking!

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

EVERY Single Doc is a Breach of your Copyright. 
    Spun docs are created from genuine docs... therefore your infringement claims can always be substantiated!

Go Hard and Kick Their Damn Butts! sad

Thanks PD smile I will try and see what happens!

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Here on Hubpages? Where spinning articles is against TOS, and they refuse to take it down?

I'll leave it to your imagination.

All I can say is that the thief has done a pretty good job on spinning/rewriting which has made it difficult for me to know how to deal with it.

That's why I was wondering how others have tackled this kind of thing and how much text needs to be directly copied - or does it just need to be substantially similar?

1. Pearldiver profile image87
        Pearldiverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Serve the Article Host a Cease and Desist irrespective of whether that host is in your basement... It is Just Too Common and has allowed a lot of income to also be gained by cheating, over at least a two year period! sad

4. ftclick profile image60
    ftclickposted 5 years ago

I'd say it depends on the amount spun too.  If it is almost the same word count, same paragraph count, and synonyms  then it is definitely a duplicate. Funny how the big media companies can sue at will with SOPA but individuals go the old route with a request.  The Corps are getting too strong.

working