jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Question about keywords

1. wymyczak66 profile image93
    wymyczak66posted 4 years ago

I actually work at an advertising company so one of the girls who works there uses SEO for our clients when they want to advertise their websites, so I was asking her a bit about keywords because I really don't know a lot about it and would like to know more so I can hopefully drive more valuable traffic to my hubs.

She was telling me about keyword matching, and I was wondering if this is something that would be relevant to use in hubpages? I found this short article about it: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/a … nswer=6100

Is that something you can incorporate? Would you use it for your tags? like "tag example" for phrase matching and -tag example for negative matching?

Just curious, wasn't sure if that was anything to look into or not. If anyone has any good links about tagging and keywords that is very easy to follow and understand I'll take them big_smile  Think along the lines of something like "Keywords for dummies"...

Thank you!

1. sunforged profile image66
      sunforgedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The keyword info you have linked to is for Adwords advertisers. It doesn't necessarily directly correlate to best practices for SEO on a web page or targeting on an article.

The tags here on HP are not the same as tags on adwords or even tags on wordpress ... the vocab can sometimes be confusing

2. sarahmkirkpatrick profile image78
    sarahmkirkpatrickposted 4 years ago

This may not fully answer your question but I have some insight:

I believe that the 'tags' are hubpages' keywords.
    Also, my boyfriend is a web designer and he says that any more then 20 key words on a page can be detrimental to your site. Google has some algorithm to recognize sites that are too keyword friendly and believes that they are then just trying to fill it rather then be useful. (20 is his guess, there is no exact number). It is also damaging if your keywords are not words that are used frequently in your ad. Topics are okay but putting too many words in that are not actually in your site can hurt you.

I am not sure how this relates specifically to Hubpages but that's the gist for regular websites.

Hope that helps a bit.

1. sunforged profile image66
      sunforgedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your boyfriend is "probably" talking about meta-keywords and he is right in a way - too many meta keywords could be read as stuffing, but in practice meta keywords are years out of date as mattering for much other then giving your competitors a sneak peak of your strategy!

Hubpages tags are an internal navigation system and have little to no SEO value anymore outside of possibly adding to time on site

Every word is a "keyword" so there would be no way to have <20 on a page smile

1. wymyczak66 profile image93
        wymyczak66posted 4 years ago in reply to this

sunforged you sould like you know a lot about this stuff, thank you for clearing it up big_smile