jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Is it Copyright Infringement if One paragraph is copied and Used?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

From time to time I check on my articles for copyright infringement. I can find several sites that have used my unique wording of a paragraph or two on another site.
    Is this a copyright violation or not? Looks like some webmaster copy and paste paragraphs from several sites and piece them together ..
    Very unprofessional indeed.

1. Quilligrapher profile image88
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Stacy, copyrighted material may be copied and used by others under some circumstances:
      ‘The Fair Use Doctrine is one of the most important limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright holder. It allows that copyright can be infringed because strict application of the law impedes the production and dissemination of works to the public. The Fair Use Doctrine was added as Section 107 of The Copyright Act of 1976 and was based on a history of judicial decisions that recognized that unauthorized infringements of copyright were "fair uses."’ See guidelines at the link below(1)

Your legal rights aside, you may submit your objections to the offending party and, if it is taken down, you have solved your problem. However, if the unauthorized user claims a privilege under the Fair Use Doctrine, you may need to compromise, find a lawyer, or walk away.

(1)http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright/c … hatfairuse

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 4 years ago

If someone is stealing bits of your work and presenting it as their own or even making money off of it, you don't have to do anything about it if you don't feel like it.

But it's still infringing on your copyrights.

3. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago

I'd say it might be okay if they put up quotations ("") surrounding the phrase or paragraph, name the source and link to your article as well - crediting you properly. That way they aren't passing the work off as their own. They're being decent about it.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure Google would see one paragraph being copied as a DMCA complaint or not.
      No they didn't use quotes or credit me..I may write them or embarrass them some way....

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes they would, I've been successful before.

4. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 4 years ago

It has happened to me. I have had more than one paragraph copy and pasted and used as the opening text of an online article and presented with no acknowledgement of it being my words. It is very annoying!