The "Elite" -Is this a good title for HP volunteers?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 120 discussions (532 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Since a discussion concerning this subject on another thread was apparently disturbing some folks there--and I do agree it was off topic--I am taking Norah's advice and putting the question here.  I didn't really know what topic forum to use but I suppose someone will move it if it is in the wrong place.

I've never liked the term "Elite" since it was introduced here at HP not so long ago.  There are several reasons why I feel this way.  One reason is because of my experiences on other writing sites.  Their "volunteers" hurt a lot of folks only to be hurt themselves eventually. 

Some thought because they had more perks--unknown to the members, of course, along with "pay"--and a special title to boot, they could run roughshod over the ordinary members.  And did so.  They also were told not to disagree with the sites new rules and to try and quell any dissent from the writers.

How do I know this for sure?  One volunteer had a conscience and sent me copies of the volunteer's private forum threads.  Needless to say, I blew the whistle on them.  I forced the site's head guy to admit some of their volunteers were paid.  Of course they booted me before I could tell what else I knew that was crooked.   

Now I'm not accusing HP of being like those other sites as this is the best place I've found so far.  I like it here or otherwise I wouldn't give a hoot if they called the volunteers Gods and Goddesses. 

Another reason I don't like the name is because it's misleading to anyone either new on the site, or merely visiting to see what the site is about.  Don't get me wrong, I think all of the volunteers are good folks, but I don't believe they are all representative of the best writers here.  Some have a problem using the proper words in posts even though the words sound the same.  I know, we all make mistakes on the forums but then, we don't sport a title indicative of superiority.

Okay, I'm finally finished.  Care to wade in?  smile

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Randy I am replying directly to you. I don't much care for the "elite" either because people who don't read up on it don't know what it is and think it's a title given to members that HP think are better. One hubber emailed me to thank me for something and explained that they don't usually like people that are placed above others. I had to explain that it's no big deal and anyone can become an 'elite' so long as they meet certain guidelines.

I would much rather we be called "Hubgreeters" because that's who we really are.

Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your opinion, Cardisa.  Personally, I would never volunteer for any job in which I would be forced to sport such a presumptuous title.  I would be embarrassed in the extreme. 

In fact, I think the very title keeps some members from volunteering because of the way it makes the site look.  But as some have pointed out, there are always certain people who love to feel themselves above the rest.  Sad but true.  Thanks again as you are one of the few with the title who agrees with the common members here.  smile

2. Ardie profile image80
      Ardieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Randy - I dont no what the problem is.  Reely - its a letter for goodnesses sake.  You can get won four yourself ya no tongue

On a serious note, I ASKED for the position of a voluntary greeter.  I don't care if HP places a red slash over my avatar for it or if HP calls me a redhead stepchild for it....I want to be able to help others - the same help I got three years ago.  The title means so little to me that I didn't think of the word meaning "better than the rest".  Does this make me a bad person?  Should I care that you don't approve of my request for this volunteer opportunity?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ardie, if you read Randy's post properly, you'd know he doesn't "disapprove" of Hubbers who are "Elite" - he disapproves of HubPages choice of word for the role of volunteer.

As a writer, it's a worry you should think words are of so little importance!

The word has all kinds of problems. One, it can be interpreted as snobbish.  Two, it can imply the person has superior knowledge - and I notice quite a few recent "Elites" are relatively inexperienced, so it's a scary thought that new Hubbers may take their advice as gospel.

However, we all complained about the name at the time and HubPages ignored us, so I don't hold out much hope it will be changed.

1. IzzyM profile image85
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This.

I also find it a little scary that we have relatively new and inexperienced hubbers advising newbies.

Eeek!

I have sat here and cringed for months if not a year or two, at some of the advice handed out in these forums, or some of the hubs written, just from forum regulars.

Next thing I see, some of them are 'Elites' which gives their advice so much more credence.

Cringe!

I came here as a total newbie to internet writing, but an expert, by most standards, to computing.

I knew a long ago not to hand out advice in fields we didn't totally understand.
          I still don't totally understand this field - writing for Google.

But by listening, watching, learning, I am slowly learning and it has taken two full years of my life to start learning.

And I still do not feel I am expert enough...well obviously I am not, as I have shared with everyone my Google sandbox problem!

So, no, the 'helpers' on this site are not 'elite' by a long chalk. we need a better title for them.

1. profile image0
            Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, I read your post before I saw you posted it, and I was thinking, "Ah, there speaks a wise person!"

1. IzzyM profile image85

Thankyou Sophia smile

What is wrong is the word 'elite'. It is elitist lol - it makes out those who carry the title are somehow better and more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

It would be wonderful if they were, and maybe some are, but not all.

To newbies or people struggling here, they may well find themselves listening to bad advice because they thought an 'elite hubber' knew what they were talking about.

2. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They are, too! They are "HubPages Elite." This means that HubPages the company has vetted them, and appointed them to act on its behalf as role models for other (especially new) Hubbers to follow. The "HubPages Elites" represent HubPages the company. This obviously sets them apart from regular Hubbers, myself included.

Since the HubPages Elite members represent HubPages the company, it is only reasonable that Hubpages the company get to call them whatever it finds most suitable.

That's funny, I don't feel ordinary!  lol

And sure, no one's gonna volunteer for the title of "Volunteer".  There's an art to getting free labor.

1. Pcunix profile image91
                Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why?  I have volunteered for things advertised as "volunteer".

1. habee profile image93
                  habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So have I, PQ.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

I'm referring to writing sites.  I've not seen one yet without some sort of title which is not "Volunteer".

2. Ardie profile image80

Marisa, if you read my post you would see where I said the title means little to me - not the word.  You read more into the statement than was actually there.  Congratulations smile

So if the title had been HubGarbagePerson you would have still applied for it?  roll

1. IzzyM profile image85

I would have applied for just that title! Its brilliant!

2. Ardie profile image80

Sure, why not?  Even the garbage person has an important job smile  Internet trolls have an important job, plumbers have an important job, the person who scrapes dead animals off the road has an important job...I can go on and on.  A title only has the power each person gives to it.  You are making me sound very important right now.  Thank you

What important job does an internet troll have?

3. WriteAngled profile image74
              WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be a FANTASTIC title for people who do their bit for the site in the Hub Hoppper. How about G, for garbage person, above two crossed spades! smile

1. GinnyLee profile image86
                GinnyLeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Official Hubpages Dumpster Digger.

What about PD for Pearl Diver?  Ooops, that ones taken already!  Sorry PD!  lol

3. Haunty profile image74
          Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One, now it's you reading into things and making blatant generalizations when you extend what Ardie said across all words. Two, who is "we all"? Can you elaborate please, because I cant see so many ppl here that would agree with you - only the same bunch time and again.

1. IzzyM profile image85

This is reply from an 'elite' on a writers forum? Care to try again, Haunty?

1. thejeffriestube profile image60
              thejeffriestubeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's funny how the "Elite" haters summon them here to defend themselves, then close ranks and attack them when they show up. You got a beef with the damned word, take it up with HP. The people who have this title didn't invent it. Stop placing blame because "they WANT to be special and want others to know." So what? To the high and mighty that proclaim, " I can help without any recognition!" Good on you. Not everyone has to be you.

If some of you old timers spent half as much time writing new Hubs as you do "deliberating" about "the good old days" you'd be multi-millionaires by now. If you don't want to be a part of the site now because of the way it's going, then don't. There are plenty of excellent writers waiting in the wings to excel.  I have noticed a disturbing trend in the last 12 months, mostly as Pandas are released, of a clique of "Old Guard" Hubbers that have a serious chip on their shoulder, and some sort of entitlement issues. I'm tired of getting talked down to by the "Masters of the HubPages Forums," and can say I've received much worse treatment by them than any Elite I've ever came into contact with. Forgive my candor, but enough is enough.

Wrong!  I've summoned no one to this thread.  I merely said the Elite were welcome to add their input.  "Millionaires" huh?  lol

"Enough is enough" lol  "I have  spoken"!  lol

1. Haunty profile image74

That's a figure of speech and shouldn't be taken literally.

2. thejeffriestube profile image60

Hey, I'm just a "poor ole 10-month Hubber!" What the hell do I know?

2. IzzyM profile image85

If you have some kind of problem, I would be grateful if you didn't take it out on me.
                I don't like the word 'elite'. What does that make me? A pleb?
                If you have something to say in this thread, them by all means, say it, but don't use my comment to get on your high horse.
                I am not an 'elite' hater, in fact, none of us are.
                And I do NOT need reminding of the fact that I am an old-timer. I am 54 today, young person, and proud of it!
                Which is not exactly elderly, I need to remind you. Nor have I been here long enough to count as an 'elder'.
                So get off your high horse, yourself!

Remember, I'm only 10 months old. I can't have a horse yet. Only a pony.

And yes Izzy, you've been here 2 years or more, and that is the demographic I was referring to. Although, I have never seen anything but the nicest correspondence from you.

54 is young! Hell, you have more than a decade to work yet! :-)

1. IzzyM profile image85

OMG I was elderly when I came to this game! Eeek!

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
                    Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

10 months as a hubber and you have noticed a trend in the past 12 months?

3. Ardie profile image80

I couldn't agree more tjt.  Where's that picture of someone beating a dead horse again?  Enough is enough.  I'm going to bed so I can get up in the morning to go to work.

1. IzzyM profile image85

No you are getting it wrong too, Ardie.

The problem is with the title, not with the volunteers like yourself.

You do a great job! One which we all appreciate, but which many of us don't want to commit to.

I hop and I flag and I report, but I don't have to. You do, because you volunteered to do it.

We are a still appreciative of your commitment.

1. Ardie profile image80

Thank you Izzy

2. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa, FWIW. The "bunch" is probably larger than you think.

What is it on which you agree with her? Anything and everything? Always, for ever and ever?

1. profile image0

The post of hers that you were replying to. Marisa does say a lot of other stuff that I agree with FWIW, but I have no intention of trawling through old forum posts to provide examples for your benefit.

Sorry to have gotten so far behind on this forum thread but I've been over 50 miles away digging through old 19th century courthouse records all day for an article I'm working on and just got back.

No thanks, I would not dare to have such a title associated with me on any site, especially on a writing venue.  And since the title doesn't have any meaning for you then no, I wouldn't expect you to care.  I suppose you were thinking about the typewriter type size.  smile

2. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

What other title could the Elite have? I guess 'V' for volunteer would be a bit lame lol  HP elite don't get paid do they?

I don't believe they are paid and am not asserting they are.  What do you mean by "tame"?  Is the title supposed to be a reward?  I have no problem if this is the case, but why not something more realistic?  HubTroopers?  smile

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote 'Lame' not 'Tame'... I suppose I didn't think as 'Elite' given as a reward for the volunteer work, although I see what you mean about it implies they are the best writers as well which might not be accurate

OOps!  Sorry Richie!  My fault!  smile

Thanks for the input.  So far, no one seems pleased by the name.  But we'll see...!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think V for volunteer would be lame at all.  Why would it be lame?  It's what they are.

I know a few top Hubbers who declined to be "elite" because they were uncomfortable with the title.

That's because they were indeed "Top Hubbers", Marisa.  smile

1. Beth100 profile image69
          Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. smile

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...i get what you are saying Randy...i usually don't pay attention...however, now that you've brought it up and caught my attention...the word 'elite' takes on an implied meaning...and yeah, V for volunteer, just like in any other volunteer organization makes perfect sense...cuz that's what they are called 'volunteers'...they normally are not called anything else but volunteer....been around volunteer organizations for a loooonnng time.

but whatever....i'll just let it rollllllllllll.......like rock and roll...wanna hear a song?...so you gotta double barrel with my name on it...kewl!  tongue

There have been other members who were given the title without being asked who then requested it be removed because of the implication, whether intended or not, of them being superior to other writers in some manner.  I do admire those people.  smile

How about "HubBubs" ?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HubBuds?....or Buds?  smile...back at ya!

I don't know if they are all cool, or not!  lol

"Hubbuhs" and "HubLettes"?  smile

1. Terri Meredith profile image69
            Terri Meredithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

or....hubbahbubbahs?????  nah...implies something far removed from writing big_smile

I sort of like Hubbies and Hubbettes  hmm

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
          LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HubBuds...sounds like part of my anatomy.................lol

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I don't care about the titles either-- but, you are right. New people DO get the idea that 'elites' are a step above anyone else, either in prestige, pay or knowledge.

In one way-- they are. They commit themselves, (without pay) to do important jobs, especially in welcoming new members and helping them find their way around. They do a good job.

I joined over three years ago. It was a little easier then, since there were not so many features to learn, but I had a couple of people that I knew would help me if I had a question as I stumbled through the learning process. Some newcomers don't know who to ask.

I'm sure HP wanted to recognize and honor those who are willing to to help in so many ways, but 'elite' has different connotations to some people. I don't know if there is a better term-- maybe something  that hops?... like a 'bunny' or 'frog'? or  maybe a hubcap or a wheelcenter?

Someone come up with a proper suggestion...

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image76

Don't like these since I don't like carrots, can't see to well and hop quite badly.........plus my tongue isn't that large...cool

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I think it is a divisive title.

Just because someone wants to act as a greeter or whatever, I don't see why they need some badge all over their avatar.

Other people might be putting as much or even more time into hub hopping or reporting forum spam. However, all they get is an accolade disk, which they can choose to show or not on their profiles.

Logically, all voluntary functions here should be rewarded in a similar manner. If accolades are deemed sufficient for people who put time into trying to maintain some quality of content, they should be sufficient for any other voluntary activities.

That being said, I personally choose not to display accolades, because I don't like one-upmanship.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you make some good points here. You and I and anyone can 'volunteer' to help other hubbers or to help HubPages without any official designation.

I write publicity releases for a local organization that go to our local newspaper and website-- but I ask to NOT have a byline. For me, I think that what I do voluntarily doesn't need that.

6. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I remember the original argument and I don't like the name either, but all other suggestions were rejected before (by HP management).

I doubt they will change anything this time either.

But Hubpages staff have an H in their avatar box, so volunteers should have a P, (for HP), so what title can you think of beginning with 'P'?

I'd settle for "Presidents"!  No one really knows what that title means anyway!yikes

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

P for promoters. They help the new people thereby reducing the bounce rate of people really interested to write.

Not bad, Lobo!  I like it! smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Thanks big_smile

7. Randy Godwin profile image61

I don't want the "Elite" to think they can't wade in with their opinions as I would be interested in how they feel about their title.  I do appreciate the work you do and I don't want you to think otherwise.  smile

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Based on the job functions, the "elite" are more aptly described as greeters or hosts.

Well, I don't want them to called "greeters" because it brings to mind those old folks shuffling shopping carts around at the entrance to WalMart.  "Hosts" isn't too bad, though!

I'm just a pore ole dirt farmer and no net guru, but it seems to me it would be bad for business if possible new writers came to the forums and mistook the "Elite" for the best writers here (not that some aren't) and went elsewhere.

But then, perhaps they would think succeeding here is a piece of cake if they thought the Elite writers were the top of the heap.  Like I said. "I'm just a........." smile

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

OK.......Until not too long ago I also felt confused and bemused by the title. Once I became an Elite, then I began to realize that it is more than just welcoming new members.

We agree to greet a predetermined number of new comers and comment on new hubs as well as to evaluate their work but the ultimate decision is always left to staff.

We are also available to answer any questions posed directly by new hubbers although this is mostly done via email or assist them in any way possible.

In a way we mentor or at least are available to mentor any new author if she or he so requests. We often flag profiles or hubs on a private screen if they are not quality pieces such as showing poor English usage, appear to be spam in both work & profile or either, write self serving articles, are underage or in any way violate the site's T.O.S

Sometimes we can also be asked to judge a contest, give an opinion, suggest new procedures and so on.

And NO we are not paid or given any other incentive than what is available to anyone else on the site.

As far as the title itself, the way I see it is just a word. Come up with a better one and staff will more than likely explore it..........tongue

Thanks for your opinion and job description, Luis. I meant it when i said I appreciate the work you guys do.  I do some of the same things myself, including helping new members by private email. 

So I know the work is much appreciated.  But I have to disagree about the title.  I'm not too sure you'd be pleased if they suddenly changed the title to "HubHelper".  I wouldn't like it. But I could be wrong about the way you'd feel about it.  smile

Thanks again for your point of view!

2. profile image0

Well, isn't it a fortunate situation for hubpages and the elite.

Hubpages don't get to pay staff for doing what needs to be done. And the 'elite' get extra exposure for their work, plus the ability to determine who is hot and who is not.

Nice exchange.

Sophia Angelique; What makes you think that we get extra exposure or extra anything? Are you or have you ever been an Elite?, if not then do not assume.

If we were to some how get extra exposure then my views would have been skyrocketing by now instead of standing still.

The only "benefit" that I can fathom is that we get to see new hubs probably  sooner than many others and our critique goes directly to the hub author and even then it is often done privately, thus offering an opportunity to said scribe to improve their article............roll

1. profile image0

Luis, just by virtue of having 'elite' next to your name, some hubbers would be more likely to click on you. I doubt it would bring you more organic traffic, but, yes, it would bring more hub traffic.

2. Ardie profile image80

Hahah I WISH I had extra exposure and perks from my little e.  When I signed up to volunteer I had NO idea the power of a simple singular letter.  I sit here amazed.

3. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How about Gestapo?

4. American View profile image59
      American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Luis,

I want to thank you for spelling out what the E stands for. I have to admit I had several ideas but did not realize the extent of what the E people do. Now having read it, I am not for it. If the E was say another accolade to recognize the excellence of a writer, which by the way is what I thought it meant, I would be fine with it and the name. See Sophia is right, the E will bring you more traffic. I am not saying that's a bad thing, let's face it, we all want more traffic. Like I aid I thought E meant the top people, and that is what I would rather read, the best writers. I never had anything you described when I joined, no one leaving comments, email suggestions to me. I do experience a problem with my articles getting unpublished and the grief it takes to get them published. Now before you think it is because there was something wrong I had to fix, not true. I have had several of them it took as many as 5 times of republishing them before HP accepted them. Now here is the kicker, I did not make any changes to the articles, I just resubmitted them. So you description has just opened my eyes. If someone does not agree with my opinion, I get flagged and unpublished.

I am sure that is not the case with all the E. I am sure most do help others as they are suppose to. People like you and Ardie. But somehow I think there are a few that abuse the E sign.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would hope not, but of course it is possible that someone could be that petty.   On the other hand, it is possible that some people just have different standards.   I know that when I'm running through the Hopper, I am often conflicted as to whether to flag for low quality or not.

10. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

How about "Mentor" instead of "Elite?"
    Elite does seem to suggest that one is above the other hubbers. Mentor would suggest more of a person that helps guide new hubbers and to advice them.

Even though the word "Mentor" still suggests someone more than capable of giving writing advice to newbies, it would be better than the present designation.  smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like mentor - someone more experienced helping someone less experienced.

1. profile image0

It sounds good. But "mentor" usually implies a more serious, long-term commitment.

11. LuisEGonzalez profile image76

I still just feel it's just a word and nothing more, but do see where it could be assumed to mean something completely different and by the way Mentor sounds good.....cool

12. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I say we call them all "Skippy!".

Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up. big_smile

paradigmsearch runs away...

Too "peanut butterish!"  lol

13. LuisEGonzalez profile image76

Just to give you an idea of some of the volume. I have been an Elite for about a month or maybe less can't be sure. Up to date I have greeted, commented, flagged etc about 1187 new hubbers/work..........tongue

I commend you on your dedication, Luis!  I do not envy you, though.  smile

14. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Volunteer, manager, contributor, facilitator, I don't care. I do appreciate anything that tells me who is doing the unpaid, extra work that helps us all here.

Such folk deserve grown up titles or indicators that mean something.

"Elite" is not my choice for anything. The designation goes over poorly in social networking but might work for customers in a commercial setting.

For other accomplishments, we have that wonderful*, lucid** Hub Score and we can go to a profile and see what awards a person has. That takes care of their accomplishments.

*sarcasm
    **sarcasm rules

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

What about something simple, like "hub helper"? They could have a little "HH" on their avatar. I think the "V" for "volunteer" would work, too. Or maybe a "G" for "guide."

16. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

How about P for "patrol," as in HubPatrol.

17. Randy Godwin profile image61

Now we're getting somewhere!  HubPatriot?  Suggests loyalty and selflessness.

HubPatriot....?  just point me to them redcoats sonny.......wink

They're just words, Luis!  Remember?  tongue

Yes, sarcasm is indeed fun sometimes!  smile

lol...lol...lol

18. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

Okay, sorry to maybe interrupt this board, but who and what exactly are the 'elite'? I see the E on certain profiles, but I just imagined you had to be super special to get one.

Pretty ladies never interrupt......It's just a title given to some of us that denotes the performance of extra activities for the betterment of the site....cool

2. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Elite are non-paid people who carry out certain tasks depending on the area in which they serve. I was invited to join the HubNuggets Team, a program that tries to help promote new writers on HubPages, long before the designation "Elite" came out.

We (the team members) have access to a data base of eligible hubs in each of three topics chosen for that week. We go through the hubs and choose at least three in each category, according to a strict criteria provided by HubPages, and submit our choices for consideration. Then one of us writes the round-up hub, much as Rose Mary did for the HubMob, makes the semi-final selection, and submits the weeks picks to staff for final vetting... and yes, there have been changes made to our final picks smile

It is a lot of work as some weeks there are hundreds of eligible hubs in a given topic. Do we read every one? No. Could we? No. We'd never get anything else done smile but we do our best to pick top-notch work every week. I, for one, enjoy being part of the team and working together. I particularly enjoy seeing the nominees gain viewers because of the contest. That's also why we make the Friday forum thread urging everyone to come out and "read and vote."

On that note... It is distressing to read that "elite" are power seeking snobs who think we are "above the commoners" because we didn't turn down the "e" - the wretched letter is only divisive if people make it so!

OK - maybe HP could have some up with a better name, but the way it was put to me is they wanted to show their appreciation for our efforts.

I do the work because I believe in it. I won a HubNuggets contest way back when, and it gave me a real boost - and the confidence to keep writing.

I would continue to serve on the team with or without any appellation, but I keep the letter because I refuse to be put off it by people saying unkind things about "elites" in the forums.

I'm sorry if you took this as being mean, Red Elf.  So far, I haven't heard anything "mean" said by anyone unless you are referring to my first post which mentioned poor usage of words by certain Elite.  I was being honest about the way it made the site look and believe me, I'm not the first to notice this.

I know you guys in the HubMob work hard and I'm sure the others do too.  This is not a personal attack against you guys.  Let's face it, it was a poor decision by staff.  They will probably not change it anyway, but at least they know how it appears to some of the writers here.  Once again, I'm sorry if you feel insulted as that was not the intention of this thread.  smile

I wonder why people are against the elites. I think I know over 70% of them and not one of them have I found rude or bad writers. I guess it's people are just jealous.

No one is against the Elite people, Lobo!  Just the inappropriate title.  yikes

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Hmm? Ok - they're elite as they help out in many ways and it's not their writing skills I guess

There you go!  Not saying they are poor writers at all, though!  smile

2. recommend1 profile image61
            recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Giant snakes appear to be wiping out the mammal population of Florida's Everglades

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/snakes-wreak-h … 44040.html

You have given up fishing in favour of hunting huh !!!!!!

Yep, and when we eat all of them we're going for the marsupials in China! lol

2. profile image0

I'm not against people who help other people. I think three things.

a) The word 'elite' means above others and has the meaning of snobbishness attached to it, so it's inappropriate.

b) I don't like the way people are not paid for work. I think it undermines paying livable wages in the medium to long term as employers find more and more ways of not paying people to do work.

c) I find an element of insincerity in being welcomed by people who are put there specifically to welcome me. It means that they weren't drawn to me by the quality of my work. It means that if my work was bad, they would encourage me to continue, and I don't appreciate investing my energy in doing anything I'm not good at (that's how I landed up getting a degree in something I hated - because I was 'encouraged' to do it). And, lastly, it means that when they finished welcoming me, they would move on to welcome other people, leaving me wondering what I did wrong that they no longer paid any attention to me.

I realize I'm  probably a little different in this perspective, but, really, I feel the same way about Wal-Mart Greeters.

3. IzzyM profile image85

This is why Elite doesn't work.

You have to be super special to get the title?

No you just have to volunteer to help out. Many of us help out without volunteering too. I don't know how many hours I have spent hub-hopping and flagging substandard work, but not out of the goodness of my heart. I do it because I want to see the reputation of the site rise, not get pulled down by the muck some people pass off as hubs.

Of course the elites deserve recognition. In return for their free T-shirt or whatever else they get, they are expected to put in a lot of unpaid man-hours reading, commenting and welcoming people to the site.

There must be a better alternative to the word 'elite'. Needs to be short and  snappy I think. But they are not super special, just a bit special lol

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But, did she bother to check?

I could not be an Elite because I get too annoyed when people are lazy and don't bother to read the help files. smile

1. IzzyM profile image85

No, but this is the impression new members or writers to the site gets, just as Randy says.
          Impressions count, especially first impressions.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+ 1

Call a damn Spade a Spade! sad

I don't believe there are many left here anymore that are Worthy of the title 'Mentor'
            - Many of those who I originally found were genuinely worthy of that Title became disillusioned by policy and site changes which effectively undermined the viability of their vastly more professional depth and approach to this industry! And before someone on staff wants to shoot me down for my candor... one of those people who I found worthy of the mentor title worked in HP.

As far as 'Elite' is concerned it is Factually a title that does deliberately imply One-Up-Man-Ship - To many of us it has a Negative influence as it does in many respects separate the community - which interestingly is a 'Tactical' management technique common to Autocratic enterprises, to ensure Control etc. - it is also actually an indication that the management of those enterprises chose (for whatever reasons) to remain opaque as opposed to transparent!

As I Said Call a Spade a Spade - Volunteers are volunteers! Certainly Nothing Elite about That!

If the spade principle was applied realistically then the letter 'V' or an inverted V would be the most appropriate and non-misleading! For those Vs that Do Merit a higher recognition than those few Vs that are highly inferior in their writing abilities.. then perhaps V1 - V3 may best indicate whether they are a Two of Spades.. Or the Ace!

1. wordscribe43 profile image89
              wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, why do I suddenly find myself seeking out a game of poker?  tongue

I hear what people are saying here, but I must say I'm going to have to agree with Uninvited Writer's earlier comment on this one.  It's neither here nor there for me, really.  Like others have mentioned, I certainly respect and appreciate all the work they voluntarily do.  I'm reminded of this weekly when I read the Hubnuggets... that's no small task! 

A title is a title... we deal with them everywhere in the "real" world.  HP is just a little microcosm.

But would you actively seek to have this title because you feel it would add prestige to your name?  I wouldn't and some who were given this title without being asked also asked for it to be removed.  But as we know, some seek it because of the very reason others do not want it.  There are always those who wish to be placed above others and HP is no different in this sense.

I actually think it causes some not to volunteer for this very reason. But again, this is merely my opinion. smile

To answer your question, Randy- no I wouldn't actively seek it out thinking it would add prestige to my name.  That's just not "me".  I definitely get your point.  Chances are I'd ask to have the title removed like Susana, for example.  My point is it doesn't bother ME, but I can see how it would seem a bit "stand-offish" to OTHERS... and I wouldn't want that.

2. Pearldiver profile image67

Damn.. if I'd written the previous post in Hearts.. then it may have been easier to appreciate where I was coming from!  The points are valid and certainly not meant to undermine in any respect the work that most of the Vs do! Factually, a lot of us also do our bit as far as content theft, voting, hubhumping, despamming the forums and helping new members consider the importance of buying the drinks at fictitious Christmas parties....

It's not Sour Grapes or otherwise.. but I believe such status is unavailable to people like me.. who are consistently banned for attacking issues and forum trolls 'too passionately!' - or whatever.. smile

btw... Good to see that you got YOUR Hubnugget accolade WS...
                I wasn't ever awarded mine even though it was won a week prior to you! sad 

Inconsistencies have a tendency to promote far more than may be intended, I believe.... including the presence of very poor decisions that negatively impact on positive things and people! smile

Rob, I was just funnin' ya... about the spades and all.  smile  As I said, I do get where people are coming from who take exception to the "Elite" title.

You never got your hubnugget accolade?  Funny thing, the accolade I have is from a different hubnugget I won.  I closed out my original account.  That's weird that the accolades aren't retroactive...  I wonder if others who won before the accolades were awarded are missing theirs as well?  Sorry about that!

Oh I knew that mate... smile

And I don't mind seeing good writers like you and several current 'Es' gaining recognition. There are though a lot here that don't - which is actually bad from the 'What makes a great site' perspective.

There are many good points made in this thread by a lot of people with a real collective experience. 

I remember when I first joined here and as a newbie had to 'prove' myself in some respect to a community that absolutely positively rocked!  So much so the CEO told the world that HP could not be... if Not For it's Community!

Within a relatively short period time.. that community got intentionally totally destroyed and decimated! Like many, I'm saddened by that! sad

2. RedElf profile image89

The database of HubNugget winners list is contained in the HubPages Newsletters. A separate record wasn't kept of who won each week, but the results were published in the weekly newsletters. Once accolades were started for the HubNuggets Program,  the newsletter database was searched to award the accolade retroactively. Unfortunately, the newsletters were only kept back to 2009-12-04, so anyone before that wasn't in the database.

F.Y.I. any time I come across a hubber who mentions that, I try to find a link to their HubNugget hub, so HP can make sure they get their accolade.

2. profile image0

Izzy, you're spot on. I only found out a few months ago that 'elites' were actually volunteers. I truly avoid anything and anyone with that title. And it absolutely DOES mean that somebody is better (at something) than others.

My response to that is that everybody is better at some things than other people. Everybody is also worse in some things than others. The point is that one shouldn't be bragging if one is better. And putting the word, 'elite' next to someone's name comes across as someone who is bragging.

With regard to checking what it actually means, I have this to say. Does this mean I now have to go and check every word in the English language just in case the user has used it to mean something that it doesn't?

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that avoids 'elite' people. So I think it would really be much better if they were called what they actually are: Volunteers!

2. Shanna11 profile image76
          Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey now-- I did read the help files. Or tried to anyway. There's a lot of stuff in those files, you know. And that's a lot of different things to click on and read. Forgive me if I missed the Hubpages Elite part. It's nothing to get annoyed over and certainly wasn't a product of me being lazy.

Well, the name "Elite" would normally be self explanatory in any other situation so this is why I think it is a problem when it's used here.  Even though I have been here a while when the designation first came out I too had to check out those who were given the title to see what made them special.

I assumed they were the cream of the crop as far as writers were concerned and indeed some are very good writers.  But then I noticed some were fairly new with very little experience on the site.  So even veterans didn't understand why the name was chosen at first.  So no, laziness is not the reason the title is inappropriate.  It should not be necessary to have to search to find out a word on a writers site doesn't mean what it should.  smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I didn't mean to single you out...

I meant over all.

Exactly what I mean, Izzy!  They are appreciated but not to the extent of the misleading title.  smile

19. paradigmsearch profile image60

Actually, how about "elf" and "elves"? Won't even have to change the letter.

Edit: And "The Hubpages Elves" has a nice ring to it. smile

Didn't you run away?.........Anyway I think I'm a bit too tall for that one......smile

20. LuisEGonzalez profile image76

Really...HubHelpers; sounds like santa's little helpers...naw. V; not bad although It reminds me too much of V for Vendetta, could give some the wrong idea...I kind of like hubbahbubbahs, maybe some ladies will ... let me stop before I get in trouble, guide; well...don't know about this one. Facilitator sounds pretty good but from experience it appears to be reserved for paid staff and I'm only getting paid in smiles and thank you's. P for patrol....only when I get to carry a water pistol and chew bubble gum. Aint' sarcasm great???
    lol...lol.........lol........roll

21. RealHousewife profile image67
    RealHousewifeposted 12 years ago

I might also add - I don't particularly care what they call it.  The people who do volunteer are for sure unpaid.  Also - we didn't choose that title - it came with the job.  We also weed a lot of spammers, underage or inappropriate.  I do enjoy it and to answer Shanna -

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/the-hubpages-elite

That should help if you are interested :-)

22. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I'd not want "Hubpages Elite" on my profile picture....but I don't think about it much.

"Just Ask Susan" is my favourite of the folks I know that do carry that title on their account here.  Susan Z.  is AWESOME!  She's a positive and friendly example of what I do think of as an ..."elite" personality on this site.

I don't give a flip for ...the rest of it.

Ahwwww. I thought I was your bestes favorite Todd........Anyway It's way past my bedtime.....I need my beauty sleep not that it will do anything for me.....but I can always hope....................lol

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I didn't realize you were on that list, Louis.  Sorry! :-D

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
      Just Ask Susanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile  smile  smile

23. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Just want to know, do the elite put their pants on, one leg at time, like the rest of us? smile

1. RealHousewife profile image67
      RealHousewifeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some of us wear skirts!

And also - it might depend on how tight you wear your pants.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spandex?

LOL - EW! I would never wear Spandex but thanks for the laugh!

Great answer and tongue to the person who stated that.

3. profile image60

I knew there were crossdressers here! smile

24. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

It's interesting to note that the only people arguing in favour of the misleading title are those who have it...

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Personally I don't care what you call them smile Anyone can easily find out what the Elite stands for...but many just take things on this site at first view and never bother to do any research for themselves. I think it's much ado about nothing.

BINGO!!!!!

Thanks UW.................smile

26. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

A term is a term and is fine as long as you define it. Uninvited Writer I believe nailed it. The term works and distinguishes their activities. The term volunteer is archaic and I won't even take my time to comment on the other suggestions which have been handled most graciously here.

It is important to celebrate and recognize the contributions given. "Elite" works.

27. dipless profile image70
    diplessposted 12 years ago

I personally don't care what other titles people have as long as i'm getting my traffic, interacting with people on the forums, helping as and when I have time then I am a happy camper.

By sticking with the Hub staff have a H then the volunteers should have a p how about "Pals"

28. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

I think Volunteer is the better name. I don't like the name 'elite.' It actually makes me avoid people with the word, 'elite,' after their name because it puts them above one.

That is ridiculous! Lol

Perhaps.. but it would appear that You Are missing the point being made, as you have taken it out of context!
        Surely an E should know not to do that! yikes  smile

2. profile image0

"Elite" works with new members, who can easily see that the volunteers are someone they can trust and seek guidance from. Which is the primary purpose of these volunteers. Therefore, I think that "Elite" has exactly the desired effect.

For established members, it is merely a word, since they should know what the Elites stand for. The Elites are volunteers who have been screened and approved by HubPages, which - in a sense - makes them elite.

As Writers on a Writer's Site..  calling Volunteers 'Elite' is offensive in my view and clearly in the views of other Lateral Thinking 'Others' also. roll

Call a spade a spade... the definition of that was posted by Sunforged.

2. profile image0

For the record, I was 'welcomed' at the time by someone called 'The Greek.' I remember that because I wanted to know what he was 'elite' about and he never answered me. I also never heard from his again.

I think it is insincere just greeting because they are new. I recently joined another site and lots of people came to speak to me. They all disappeared within a week as they went on to greet other new people.  The point is that I invested energy in greeting them when they were only doing a job. I would prefer to have things evolve organically. However, people are different.

One thing I can say is that while some people might thing it's only a word, there are sufficient people to take offence at the word for it to be a good idea to change the word. I dislike the word intensely and I do not have a positive response to people who are entitled 'elite.' I think they're pretentious and like to put themselves above other people.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61

I don't understand what you mean by "Elite has exactly the desired effect".  What is the desired effect you reference?  Words have certain meanings, especially to writers I would hope. 

Similar to your title here on HP.  I don't know anything about you or your qualifications, but still your name insinuates you are somehow qualified to examine websites and offer advice which will help them succeed or at least do better at this craft.

Perhaps you are indeed what your name suggests but with all of the things going on on the net it takes a bit of research to tell anything about internet claims these days.  not trying to disparage you in any way and I do appreciate your efforts, but perhaps you see what I'm getting at.  So what does the word Elite mean to you as someone who judges the work of writers?  smile

1. profile image0

I am sorry that you don't enjoy my user name. I have never had any problems with it until you brought it up, except maybe for a few fanatics in my first few months. I have never had any issues with "Elites," which frankly I do not perceive to be such a big deal. If the word is changed to something else, I am sure I will not have any issues with that either. It comes down to a mentality issue, apparently.

I didn't say I disliked your user name, WE.  Perhaps it's a comprehension issue rather than a mentality issue instead.  Read Sunforged's many definitions for "elite" and indicate to me which one correctly describes the greeters here. 

I fail to understand why using a title which doesn't correctly fit the job is so acceptable to those who depend on proper word meanings on a writing venue.  Words are very important to me, but apparently not to everyone.  Perhaps you are correct and it is indeed a mentality issue.  tongue

1. profile image0

Well, Randy Godwin, I can say that: If the "Elites" ever comes up for a vote, I will vote, and I will vote for what I find to be the most descriptive and appropriate name. Good luck with your thread.

This certainly is not a democratic site and we do not get to vote here, WE.  But at least we do get to voice our opinions and I do appreciate HP for allowing us this small act.  But you neglected to point out the definition of elite which you think is apt. 

And this thread is not just for me.  I'm trying to prevent something which has ruined other writing sites I've had experience with.  Whether I'm successful remains to be seen.  Thanks again for your input.  smile

2. RealHousewife profile image67

They coud just make it - Greeters - which would sum it up pretty good.  I just don't see what all the fuss is about is all.  I am not trying to be rude - in fact, it's funny!

It is a False Representation of the Facts... unless of course you do factually Fit the Legally Recognized and Acceptable Interpretation of the Word!

If you don't and you find it funny that a Professionally Promoted Website boasting of the highest numbers of 'Writers' on the Net also believes that it is Legally & Commercially Prudent and Justifiable to Falsely Represent (albeit via Intimation) to the Public of the World that 'Hub Pages Elite' are somewhat superior to other writing members of the site... then I guess You deserve to be so Titled for that very reason... and paid for your 'volunteer' work! smile

Yes... It is a Constructive Argument and in point of law HP are Wrong! In my country, as with others, making False Representation of anything within a commercial structure to suggest that something is superior when factually it is not... usually amounts in 6 figure fines and retractions! We don't all have the same values do we?

What Is Wrong Is Typing Like This Consistently, As IF IT MAKES People BELIEVE it More!! Watch This:

The CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES Implies That I Can Eat DONUTS Whenever I Want!!!

There ARE Camels in the Desert.

There is a word for this. It's called a "Sea Lawyer"

oBvio,uSLy thERE iS nothIng wRon!G witH tYpiNg liKE ThiS

WhY woUld ?you wanNa telL peopLe HOW TO writE

29. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

If the role is just to meet and greet newbies why was a name reflecting this not thought up?

But then I have followers - an odd choice too, worse than the term fans - that was here when I signed up and even fans is rather strange. As I am neither a religious cult nor a pop star.

Back to the elite title, many of us point newbies in the direction of the Learning Center or FAQ, which is unhelpfully titled help. Both of these  I would guess might now be invisible if viewed on some size 'screens'. So the need for helpers/elite might increase. Also there seems to be a lot of support needed for the new hubbers from the same questions appearing in forums. I do not have the mind set to ever consider myself elite and badges never tempted me to put my name down for anything.

BTW Today I seem to have acquired a green + button at the top of the page next to my sign in/name which has a number attached to it.

Don't fret It's just a new procedure being tested that notifies of things such as forums you are following, people who left you comments and so on. Click on it read it or not, click close and the counter will go back to 0

1. profile image0

I like it!

30. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Wow.. you are lucky having a + on yours 2uesday smile

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am laughing now, I thought I had signed up to a Google + something or other without being aware of it.

As predicted it has returned to 0 after I clicked on it. Thanks for updating me on this Izzy and Luis. Some days it feels like, I leave the room to make a cup of tea and when I return there is something new to figure out smile

31. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

The green button is a shortcut to let you know when new comments are added to forums/hubs you are following. Click it and see.

32. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

Well, I've just gone to see who the 'elite' are. I can honestly say I've never heard of most of them. Mighty Mom is about the only one. Oh, and Patty English, because she's on top of the Hubber's list.

I also don't see the point of choosing hub nuggets. I'd be more interested in knowing who the people are who get high volumes of search engine traffic. That teaches me something.

I suppose the Hubnugget thing is to give some new writers here a boost but I seldom read any of these hubs.  I don't even know when this was started and am not sure it was even around when I first joined HP.  But I have no problem with the program however they want to do it. smile

I'd rather everyone be eligible for the chance to be included and not just new members.  Some never have the chance to get the accolade but that's no biggie to me.

1. profile image0

Randy, absolutely. If they are going to chose good articles, then chose from the best on the site - ones that are being sent traffic by Google. I don't think I've ever read a hubnugget either.

33. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Ho hum - it is just a word but ... but  ... a real squirmy one.

I used to have the E, until I resigned it. Reckon it's a thing to live with on HP - it don't look like it's going anywhere, and some folks get to liking having that there badge Randy tongue

Hey Andria!  Glad you waded in on this touchy subject with your experience.  Yep, a squirmy title at best!  Sure, people are vain sometimes!  smile

34. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I like words.

According to Wiki:

"An elite in political and sociological theory, is a small group of people who control a disproportionate amount of wealth and/or political power. The elite in modern U.S. society consists of the highest ranking members of the corporate community, academia, politicians, media editors, military service personnel, and high-profile journalists."

Websters:

a singular or plural in construction : the choice part : cream <the elite of the entertainment world> b singular or plural in construction : the best of a class <superachievers who dominate the computer elite — Marilyn Chase> c singular or plural in construction : the socially superior part of society <how the French-speaking elite…was changing — Economist> d : a group of persons who by virtue of position or education exercise much power or influence <members of the ruling elite> e : a member of such an elite —usually used in plural <the elites … , pursuing their studies in Europe — Robert Wernick>

That is what elite means ( . ) I dont see why a writing site would choose to re-purpose a word to mean anything but what it means.

But, I do see how the word would inspire free work simply to be able to "wear" it. It's clever, really.

But, I guess I could see how the word could be divisive! The word/title doesn't bother me ( other then its misuse), IM more bothered that people do so much free "work" for a private for profit business!

Go volunteer for a charity that needs it!

Let the businesses pay for staff!

oh, and this;    :p

1. profile image0

"But, I do see how the word would inspire free work simply to be able to "wear" it. It's clever, really."

Yes.

2. profile image0

This.

35. profile image60

I think they should have a tiara above their avatar and their name inscribed by calligraphy.  It should also be followed by 5 gold stars.  Should get newbies attention that way. smile

36. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

The title is a little pretentious wink

(I couldn't even work out what on earth the 'e' stood for ages,lol)

Perhaps if under our avatars we had a coloured line denoting how long we had been a member would be helpful to new members (or appropriate to number of hubs written etc)...

For example 0-3 mths ,no line, 3-6 mths yellow line ,6-12mth red -12-24 blue,2yrs plus ,purple smile

( The plain no colour line people would be easy to visualise in a forum too) wink

I want to know who tattooed D..kHead on my Avatar! I much prefer Bustard! big_smile

NOT ONE Newbie Has contributed to our Christmas Party! sad

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Ya egg

Line from Boy The Movie (great movie ,btw)

37. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Guess we could always superimpose our own letters r within our pics ,hehe

Im a gonna be a A+,havent seen one of those for awhile lol

1. profile image60

Well, then some one will be AA+, then AAA+, etc.
      Like Popeye says, "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam".

38. profile image60

Perhaps it is time to call the ASPCA, it seems the dead horse may have been beaten enough.

Neigh!  I think not! smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67

big_smile Now if you only HAD a Forehead in your avatar.... perhaps an E would Fit! big_smile

39. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

Elites shouldn't feel bad. Because this is a constructive argument.

Exactly so!  Nothing against those afflicted with the title!  smile

Well some of you look for traffic here - on the forums - and some of us greet new people and I personally learn a lot by doing it.  I can see which new things people are writing and I do flag those who are spamming or totally inappropriate!

I really do not like the word "follower" and wish we could change that too!

1. IzzyM profile image85

No, some of us don't look for traffic by posting here on the forums, we post here because this is the hub of our community.

I too greet new people and flag articles of spammers or those containing low quality content.  And no, I don't feel the need for a title to show I do so.  But to each their own. smile

I don't seek traffic from the forums either.  Traffic from here pays nothing I would think.

1. Neil Horton profile image59
            Neil Hortonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

RH- And just who ordained you as the moral police to determine what is appropriate and not appropriate? Are you any better at judging this than we Ordinary types? And for those of you that think the E types have no clout when it comes to their influence over the mediators, think again. What would be the need? Would it not be easier to track the E type flags over the Ordinary? Otherwise, they would have to keep track of the 250,000 potentail flaggers rather than the few Etypes that are given this tag.

"If the First Amendment will protect a scumbag like me, then it'll protect all of you -- 'cause I'm the worst," Larry Flynt

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

No one would flag Mark Twain, unless he was a spammer.
              No one is talking about flagging because of political correctness or disagreeing with what is said.
              Anyone can flag, not just Elite members and they do.

We are talking about the name... You obviously want to discuss something else.
              You yourself even wrote a hub criticizing others writing so don't be so self righteous.

Personally, I hardly ever notice if anyone has the Elite status or not. It's not something that bothers me. I don't believe it has an effect on the hub score.

The very moment someone were to write a hub using the Nword in reference to a slave, they would be banned.. even if the author's name was Mark Twain. and you know it. Don't be naive!

1. profile image0

I STAND CORRECTED!

40. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

http://auyouth.com/adventurers/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/eager-beaver.jpg

The word "elite" does seem to have a status connotation that to many is negative.
    The "e" could just as well stand for "extra" because HP volunteers do go the extra mile to help out the community and new hubbers.

Or how about this visual? Does this grab anyone?

Beavers?  Not gonna touch that one, MM!  lol

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whew. For a second I was afraid no one would get it.
        Thank you, Randy.
        My faith is restored. lol

I ain't as dumb as I look, MM!  smile

2. profile image0

Yes, but you wouldn't like me to tell you where lol

41. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I've said my bit... and factually I have been banned on HP for saying less in the past... which of course under HP Law dictates that I am Not Entitled to be referred to as anything above a Substandard member here! big_smile

Put It This Way.... If I was a Potential Investor in this Site if it wants to follow FB and List.... Then I would Certain Question the things that I question! 99% of Prudent People would! Perhaps as a potential investor in such a listing, it would be prudent to listen to what the Investors would like to see happen to spruce up the BS and create a professional approach suitable for such 'elite' players! big_smile 
    Have a good day Y'all!

What?  because we've been banned we can't volunteer to work for no pay?  I'm cool with that!  smile

42. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

I don't like the "elite" designation, either.  I think the volunteers do earn some kind of recognition, though. They help both HubPages and all the Newbies here, a LOT!  And that takes up a lot of time.

Maybe we should poll the volunteers themselves and ask how they'd like to be recognized.

Thanks Paradise - I wouldn't even care if they just removed it all together.  I doesn't bother me one way or the other because that isn't why I signed up to do it.  I think HP administrators just wanted to add a little something additional for the volunteers who spend their time greeting and helping new comers.  We were all new at one and needed help.  I am there to help someone who may have been like me 11 months ago.  I have meet some pretty cool hubbers that way - and don't know if I would have seen them otherwise?

typos:) sorry!

43. paradigmsearch profile image60

It cracks me up as to how long some threads last. This one is either double or nothing.

1. profile image0

It's got to this stage now, I think:

http://www.oocities.org/torisstarburst/deadhorse.gif

Do you think it should be closed?  Or has everyone had a chance to add their 2 cents worth by now?  It really doesn't make any difference though because, as I stated earlier, it's not as though this is a democratic site anyway.  So the mods will do as they please with it no matter what we want.  smile

1. profile image0

I dunno about closing it - I think it will run its natural course eventually after everyone has had their say. And it may be resurrected from time to time, when newbies find it.

One caveat about adopting an alternative moniker that uses the letter "H", though:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50512_52135009217_6800542_n.jpg

2. habee profile image93

Animal abuse on the HP forums! I'm tellin'!!

That one seems dead to me Habee! lol

44. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

It doesn't matter to me.  If these people want to volunteer--let 'em because it means something to them.  Nothing is gonna change their Elite status--not even a Forum like this one.  Personally, I've been retired for 10 years, and I don't do anything for free . . .

No one is suggesting they not volunteer, as far as I know!  Why would we care?smile

45. Mighty Mom profile image77

Hub Pages volunteers are a lot like illegal aliens. We live under the radar because we don't need or want to call attention to ourselves.
    The only way to identify us is by the mysterious "e" on our profiles.
    We perform a job that established community members don't see or particularly value.
    It's a job the vast majority of hubbers have no interest in doing (but some profess to do on their own terms anyway: reading and flagging hubs, following new hubbers).

Given the small number of posters to this forum, I would venture to guess that most hubbers don't care enough about us or our "elite" title to have an opinion one way or the other. Those who do are vaguely dismayed or angry.
    They look at us like, well, aliens.

Like an illegal alien, I don't a lot of spend time thinking about my "elite" status. I don't identify myself as "elite" or an "elite hubber." I'm just a "hubber" like everyone else here. Neither greater than nor less than.

1. RedElf profile image89

smilesmilesmilesmilesmile MM is cool totally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbjMKPGv4Y

Ubetcha, Habee!
        For those who wonder what it's like behind the "elite" scenes of the Hub Pages volunteer world, come on in and get your groove on! lol

Good answer big_smile

If you don't really want to call attention to yourselves then you'd want the E removed.  Simple.  And it's easy to find out what the E stands for and only then does the implication of superiority begin.  And many community members have already stated they appreciate your work and help out themselves.

I don't have access to the stats on this but I do flag, comment, etc.

Venture away.  Unfortunately, there are some people (unlike myself of course)who are fearful of going against the establishment-HP staff, Elite--and won't dare post in a forum topic such as this because of possible recriminations which might affect their livelihood or reputation with the company.  Surely you should know this, MM.

But you have a title indicating you are indeed better.  What? yikes

Randy,
        I fear you missed my tongue-in-cheek intent on this one.
        I was trying to make a joke (lame, I realize) about "profiling" based on the letter "e" on our avatars.

No worries, tho.
        Seriously,
        I'd be perfectly happy changing Elite to "F" for Freak of "V" for Volunteer or even "G" for Greeter (which is the specific volunteer work I do).

We "e" types have no special powers, no extra influence or anything else with HP staff. When it comes to the forums, we're just like everybody else. If we cross the line, we get banned. I can only speak for myself, but I imagine "e" hubbers don't report other hubbers any more or any less than the general forum public. (Golden rule and all that).

No problem, MM.  I didn't intend to imply you guys reported anyone or flagged posts no more than any normal hubber would.  I've never thought you had extra powers or influence with staff either.  But if you did I might see the Elite title as being more correct in the staff's view!  yikes

46. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Here's my 2 cents: It doesn't really bother me what the volunteers are called, but I do see how the title could put off some people and misguide newbies who aren't yet sure about how the site works. And like many others who have posted here, I think the volunteers provide a wonderful, much-needed service. How do you guys feel about being referred to as "elite"?

Little known fact: Back when the volunteer program started we were called Hub Freaks.
      Progress?

Wishing those friggin' days back very hard.

In oh so many ways.

2. habee profile image93

Are you s___ing me?? MM's a super freak!! lol

I certainly don't want to be called a freak!

47. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

I like the word Elite because (1) it is a sophisticated word, (2) it means "chosen," - it only assumes the meaning "superior" when you employ judgment (which tends to be more reflective of the person who does it than of its actual object). I think of the Elite as people chosen from among the volunteers based on specific criteria. The title Volunteer might suggest that everyone can get the job, also it's plain and there is nothing to it that would make the bearer tick. So I'd rather be called Elite as long as I can't be called Callipygian.

Finally, someone who admits they think the name is apt!  Coincidentally, an Elite!  What are the odds?  Thanks for your honesty, Haunty.  smile

48. Mighty Mom profile image77

Sorry, posted to RedElf instead of Habee by accident.

49. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

I don't have a problem with the title or any of the volunteers. I have only interacted with about 18 of them that I can recall and they are all great hubbers with great attitudes.  Though, like everyone, they have their bad days too.  I can only imagine the toll it takes on an 'elite' to answer the same questions over and over.

50. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I have no dog in this fight, but I will say the "elite" title to me has always been somewhat offensive. Not those who bear it, but just have always thought it was an odd choice of words. When I first started writing here, some jerk in the forums said I had an "elitist" look about me. That I found truly offensive. Besides the fact that nothing could be further from the truth, that was one of my first welcomes to Hubpages. Is it any wonder once I saw the E next to Hubbers' names, it gave me pause? There are great writers here on HP who will never have the big E next to their names and I consider it misleading at best and insulting at worst. But I don't lose any sleep over it, too many more important things to worry about. smile

Thanks for you input, DIY.  I believe we all know the title does not aptly describe those afflicted with it.  Thus this thread.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will say some hubbers should be marked with j for jerk and t for troll and some other letters that will probably get me banned...just sayin'.

No kidding!  I got banned for a week for asking someone if they would like a soda cracker!  lol

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
            DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't you know you can't use the word cracker these days?  smile

Well, saltine is not a word I learned in school here in the south.  You northerners speak differently!  tongue

2. American View profile image59
            American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got a week for telling someone to stop whining. I feel your pain Randy.

1. Lord De Cross profile image67
              Lord De Crossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh God Forgive them, because they know what they are talking about! What a waste of time...I 'd rather write my hubs and get my money. Good luck guys!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)