jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

Confused about page views dropping

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
    Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago

I have been on site for about two hours, answering comments, a few responses to the forum and doing some back linking to my hubs and my views on my hubs have dropped by 20 percent in two hours.  Now how does page view go in reverse? For real, I have 20 percent "less" page views now, than from when I logged in about two hours ago. Not only that, I have been active and my hubber score is down as well.  Sort of seems like I am getting punished for being active on the site.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you are in "my statistics" all the numbers except the "ever" column are on a rolling basis.  The 1 day column, for instance, shows views for the last 24 hours.

The result is that these views will go up and down all the time as views from 25 hours (or a week or a month) ago drop off.  The only one that will always go up is the "ever" column.

Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So like if I had 96 views and it is down to 71 that would be because a 24 hour time limit was reached and it reverted back to something? That is under the one day views... I had 96 and it went down to 71.  Thanks for responding, as well. smile

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You did not have 96 views in one day - you had 96 views in the past 24 hours.

In the next hour, the beginning of that 24 hour period will have advanced by one hour as well, and any views prior to that will be gone from the number.

Say you got 10 views at 10 PM yesterday and 15 more at midnight for a total of 25 views.  At 10:01 PM today those 10 views will no longer be included in the 24 hour stats, just views received since 10:01 PM yesterday - your new total will be 15 views. 

All 25 will still be reflected in the "ever" column, however, as it counts views since your joining.

If you're really picky, be aware that HP does not update continuously - it seems to be every 1/2 hour or so.

Thanks for the additional information, Wilderness!

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

On the other hand, in addition to what wilderness is telling your about the rolling stats, at about 4 weeks in you should round about now start experiencing the wonderful Google swings that have affected this site for the past few months.

One day they send you traffic, next day they take it away.

Look at your traffic sources (its under 'stats') and note what Google.com is sending you.

That is your main traffic source, or should be.

When it goes, your traffic goes down, when it returns, it goes up.

Hello IzzyM. Thanks for responding! Google is number three with hubpages and my profile page being above Google as for hits.

I guess what I should focus on is the overall total as mentioned by Wilderness.

3. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am sure it is probably a little glitch in the system. Mine has dropped too. Don't worry I am sure it will be handled in a timely manner. smile

Thanks AEvans! I will wait it out like you. smile

working