jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Regarding Photobucket.com Images/Do or do not use?

1. hazelwood4 profile image82
    hazelwood4posted 4 years ago

I have been doing some research tonight on using Photobucket.com images in my Hubpages.  Some Hubbers have said it is okay to use these images on our Hubs, but there are also some who said the images should not be used. So what is the official word on Photobucket.com images?  Thanks for all the help!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I would not use Photobucket. People just grab stuff they like off the Internet and most are not copyright free. Try this site, I like it a lot:
      http://www.freedigitalphotos.net. You can also try http://sxc.hu.

hazelwood4posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have read about this fact on and off Hubpages. I will not be using Photobucket.com images in my Hubs anymore. Thanks for the other photo site.smile  As far as Flickr.com goes, what are the rules when using the images there?  I have heard to only use the Creative Commons images.

2. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 4 years ago

Here is a link to an article in the learning center that should help.

How to LEGALLY Use Others' Images on HubPages

Hope this helps big_smile

hazelwood4posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much for sharing this.smile  There is so much useful information listed on this Hub.

3. wheelinallover profile image82
    wheelinalloverposted 4 years ago

We created an ad free website just for use by hubbers. They are free to use unwatermarked original amateur and professional photographs We just ask that you give credit where due. The link is on the profile. I hope this helps

4. oceansnsunsets profile image88
    oceansnsunsetsposted 4 years ago

I have also enjoyed seeing the suggestions on this thread. 

I think on Flickr, and any site, you need to view each photo as an individual.

My understanding of photo usage is this....don't use it, unless you are more than sure you have full permission granted.  Wouldn't it be awful to work hard on an article on Hubpages say, only to find you were the one taking something not yours, or flagged for duplicate content?  Its just not worth it, and not respecting others photos.

If express permission isn't given, as in, put in the public domain, one ought not to use the photo.  It is assumed it is the owners property.  I think its good to think of it like, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

That all said, now I am curious what people think of the idea that I have seen used here often.  That is, what do you think of making it expressly clear that your photos on Hubpages are your own property?  I have seen that a few times, but I just don't want to put it on my page. I just trust people not to take my photos.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

I would think that if it is your own PhotoBucket account, that there should be no problem at all with using or linking to that image.

I know I have some photos there for which I no longer have the originals, due to a previous computer crash.  But they are stil my photos.