Freedom Please! Can anybody direct me to where I need to be?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. bregecko profile image60
    bregeckoposted 12 years ago

So are there forum sites out there that are more 'liberal'? I don't want to be constantly about my business, but it's a passionate part of my life. I'd like to find something where I don't have to watch what I say so much.
      Had something taken down when I wasn't even trying to sell anything! In fact, I was trying to ask one person for advice. Didn't realize it was public til after, so I don't really care. Not mad about it I mean.
      I am an artist and I think it's sad that we have to watch what we say on a site that should be more 'personal' anyway. The internet is feeling like it's sufficating me lately. I must be looking in the wrong 'places'. Somebody throw me a life raft. Please! This is the least restrictive site I've found so far. ... HELP.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

It is helpful to understand the Terms of Use, the forum rules, and the different formats (hub, questions/answers, and forum categories). As long as you are in the appropriate format and within the rules, you can express yourself quite freely.

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I understand that need to express oneself tongue but why would one want to ruin their 'reputation or image'? does one want to appear as a professional or unprofessional? info about us can be found all around the net to give prospective employers insight to our character hmm just saying.

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I don't know the OP's context. I think I can see your point. It is best to act with professionalism and dignity.

bregeckoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am never ashamed to be myself. I was being dramatic out of sincere frustration. Probably saying what a lot of people would like to say, but won't because they're afraid of hurting their 'networking oppertunities'.
      More and more people out there are appreciating realness anyway.
      Even on this site, I've noticed that the bolder the title, the more responces. At least in general. Wasn't trying to offend anyone. I really want someone to answer my question. My writing is more to me than just 'networking'. If you're afraid to answer publicly, then at least send me a private messege.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Expressing yourself is always ok, the way you do it must be within civilized bounds or the forums degenerate into the kind of one line foul mouthing that is common elsewhere.

Say what you like and then clean it up to be clear English and is not personally insulting.  Just because some others who post here are total morons who speak through their @ss - does not mean you can say which one is the moron.  You can of course always insult the stupid words that they post as long as you attack the words and not the person.

If someone posts that the world is flat you cannot say the poster is a moron escaped from the dark ages, you can say that this kind of thinking is moronic and comes from the dark ages.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone ?

2. bregecko profile image60

Dignity? Think you might have gotten the meaning mixed up with some other word. Like maybe, shameless, bold, ect.
        Dignity is lack of pride or self respect. If anything, I'm ashamed of what the net has turned into. Losing respect for blogs and forum subjects  that 'pretend' to not be about business.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Miriam Webster disagrees with you:

"the quality or state of being worthy, honored, or esteemed"

I've never had a problem expressing myself here. The recently closed Triond forum was completely without moderators and it descended into a useless pit of insults and spam until it was closed.

Most of my hubs are not about business and I do okay here. If you write something people want to read it will get traffic.

Most sites on the Internet are now big on quality control. That is not control of ideas but control of quality and trying to put out a quality product to appeal to readers.

I didn't insult anyone. Didn't use foul language either. I didn't even 'put  anybody in their place' until they accused me of acting without dignity. I started off honestly just wanting some info. I've seen several forums here about other sites. People sharing information like they're suppose to. They were the first to act aggressively. Insulting is accusing me of having no self respect. What's so wrong about asking about something with some human emotion behind it?(without bad language even) Talk about ganging up on the 'new guy'.  I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, but I would appreciate SOMEBODY out there answering my question. Pretty please? With sugar on top?

Now that was both civil, and it made sense. Thank you for that.

why are you talking to yourself ?

The site didn't show that anyone had responded til I was done typing. Then, of course responded naturally to the response. Strange that  I'm being put down for acting naturally by a panda. Cute, really though.

Not a put-down, just wondering why you are responding to yourself - it is usually because you are viewing the thread in threaded view rather than chronological view - the button to change it is near the top right somewhere I think.

How should I ask then? What are the magic words in 'forum or hub language'
              that translate better into "need some directions on where I can go" Or. Maybe some advise on where to ask a question here. I thought I had clicked on "ask a question". But then earlier I thought I was sending a question to just one person. LOL. Even better, since I'm obviously  lost here, some directions on where I'm free to talk of such things on this site. Anybody?

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

In the words of Janis Joplin, "freedom's just another word for nothin left to lose.............."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)