jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What exactly is spamming?...

1. debbie roberts profile image91
    debbie robertsposted 5 years ago

I do feel a little daft asking this, but I see things written about spamming and certain websites have you decipher codes to help prevent spamming. This word crops up a lot in computer world and I feel I can't continue to ignore the fact that I have no idea what it is. I need to know...
    Can someone explain it to me in an easy to understand way. I can't always get my head around computer language.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Spamming means deliberately spreading unwanted messages, often for personal gain.

debbie robertsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So spamming is leaving messages advertising maybe a website or product that is not related to to website where it is left?
      So how do people spam on HubPages? Is that when a hubber leaves a comment containing a link to somewhere else?

Thank you Website Examiner. I did warn I 'm a bit thickie when it comes to computers. I'm sure that light bulb moment isn't far off.....

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Debbie, the reason I gave you such a broad definition is that what constitutes spam depends on the environment. Some places are more permissive than others. If someone deliberately spreads messages that go against the rules in that place, then they will be seen as spammers. Typical types of spam:

- Forum posts of a self-promotional nature, often with links to external blogs or websites. On HubPages, posting links in forum posts to one's own hubs is often considered spam, even though it obviously relates to the same website;

- Unsolicited mass email communications;

- Blog posts or hub comments with links to external sites or hubs, left solely or primarily for self-promotional purposes;

- Forum posts and the like that are irrelevant to the discussion, like to obstruct or for personal attention.

In all of these situations, the messages are considered spam because they are unwanted by the recipient and against the rules. I hope this helps.

debbie robertsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes it does and thank you, I think I get it now!! Your second post is better explained.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are very welcome. Glad it worked out in the end.

working