jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Selective forum blocking

1. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 8 years ago

I'd love if there was a way we could customize our forum views to not see topical categories that we are not interested in reading.  That way people could focus on reading that which they find relevant and eliminate those subjects they find extraneous.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago

Would be good to have the ability to block hubbers whose posts we are not interested in reading either cool

1. Jerrico Usher profile image60
      Jerrico Usherposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yea! (ut oh can of worms..)

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I am liking this idea. Although I think I would end up doing a "Jerrico Usher" (new term) and speaking to myself in vast posts......... lol

relacheposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It's just called "sock puppeting", Mark and since you only have the one account here, it's unlikely you would start to act that way.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
          Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think he meant that everyone would block him, and therefore nobody would read what he had to say.

He's probably got a good point lol lol

Well then I guess it would just be Mark and I talking in threads, as I don't seem to have problems with what he says. 

But really, I find that blocking individuals makes for some repetitive and fragmented threads, as users say things that people they can no longer see have already said. 

I just want to block subjective topics that I find really irrelevant to my HubPages experience so that the forums are less cluttered and messy to navigate.  I frequently miss announcements from admin the day they are posted due to so much forum noise.

1. Em Writes profile image80
              Em Writesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Amen.

I get frustrated in the forums. I'd really like to be a more active participant both to build my hubscore and to gain knowledge. I find some great information in the forums to help me learn, but I also find that I frequently have to wade through the puddles created by pissing contests between hubbers to find the gems. There are cases where I'd like to ask questions, but I don't want to get dragged into the fray.

I don't necessarily believe that there is a solution for this, aside from staying out of the forums, which I won't do.

Just wanted to vent.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
                Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

lol lol That's beautiful !
                I've just gotta join your fan club now.

The HubPages forum experience in a nutshell!

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

We'll put this into the feature wishlist, but I can't promise when we'll get to it.

4. Julie-Ann Amos profile image47
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 8 years ago

yes please to that Relache.

In my opinion, blocking users means ugly post confusion, as people ask idiot questions already sorted out in posts they can no longer see because they have blocked someone.

But I would LOVE to be able to eliminate all the religion, philosophy and what's your favourite politician type forums from my viewing lists.

working