jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Ebook Help!

1. RuthMcL profile image61
    RuthMcLposted 5 years ago

can i make an ebook from my hubs?

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Obviously you can't as you have no hubs!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. RuthMcL profile image61
        RuthMcLposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your help!

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

OK, so that was funny, lobobrandon, but not very helpful.

But maybe I'll do my good deed for the day and see if I can help out RuthMcL a little.

Incidentally, I don't have any hubs either as someone who didn't like a forum response of mine yesterday pointed out when he said, "Go write a hub and maybe I'll take the above comment seriously." Hey, I just might write some. And then make them an ebook. After I get my foot fixed via the person who took me to task for not having any hubs. You see, on his profile he says he is an archiologist.

But back to your question, RuthMcL. Technically speaking, it would be a snap to make hubs an ebook if you have them on a Word file. Even a caveman could do it. Like me. I'll give you some options on how to do it if you like. A printed book wouldn't be all that much more difficult.

This does bring one question to mind. I searched this site and didn't find anything that leads me to believe that the person who posts a hub on this site does not own the copyright. There is a question in my mind, however, about having duplicate material in that in the Publishing Rules & Policies FAQs it states:

"13. Q: My Hub has been moderated for duplicate content; what does that mean? Your Hub's content has been detected as published previously on another site.
    A: Duplicate content is not allowed on HubPages. Your Hub may also be moderated for duplicate content in cases where we determine there is substantial similarity to another work. This includes close paraphrasing, among other forms of misappropriation."

So I'm not sure if someone who takes his/her hubs and makes them into a book would be subject to this provision.

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why will you want to do that? Write hubs related to your e-book to prove your strength and knowledge in that field rather than scraping them off and making them an e-book

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

As long as the e-book is published after the hub has been published and indexed by the search engines, there is no issue of duplicate content penalties. If the e-book was published first, that could be a problem.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Website Examiner, your hub "10 Reasons for HubPages to Become a Book Publisher" is spot on. Kudos to you. 

As far as why someone would want to do this, lobobrandon, I can think of several reasons. Money, money, and more money. LOL. Well, I'm not too sure that but perhaps a few would be rolling in dough. Publishing your work on HubPages can be profitable, but so can having your work available for sale at Amazon.com and elsewhere.

Of course you can't do this with an ebook, but some people like to have a copy of their printed book sitting there on the coffee table. So they can brag about it. Just human nature.

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, thank you. It has been well received so far.

3. RuthMcL profile image61
      RuthMcLposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jack, thanks for your kind reply.  I haven't put anything up yet as I can't decide whether to hub or book my writing.  Unlike lobobrandon's thoughts of bragging, I wasn't sure if it would be nicer for my young daughter to see a physical book about her rather than have her spend even more time glued to the computer screen.  So as you say, perhaps I'll do both and then grown ups can see the hub whilst the youngsters can look at the book.

Thanks!

3. Astra Nomik profile image81
    Astra Nomikposted 5 years ago

I happen to agree with the comment about Hub Pages becoming a book or ebook publisher. Look at the sheer weight of writers it works successfully with here already, including me.

Maybe this debate can be taken up a notch by including a simple company name we all know, as they know a lot about ebooks too.

"Wattpad."

Not terribly different from Hub Pages...except that Wattpad is already knee deep in the ebook part of publishing.

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you have any experience with this site? I've never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean anything! smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

working