jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Writing jobs?

1. J.T. profile image61
    J.T.posted 9 years ago

I´ve spend some time here at hubpages reading about writing jobs, and many of them talk about getafreelancer, as a good site, but i´m not sure how it works, do you have to be a genius writer to make some money there or can it be done by someone like me, I know that getting to the level of sunseven, and jimmythejock, takes a lot of practising, so should i wait, or just give it a shot,
    thanks to all of you
    up front for the great answers
    you all provide here at hubpages

2. Guru-C profile image55
    Guru-Cposted 9 years ago

Hi, J.T.:

I think what most makes a writer is the act of writing.  If you love to write, then do so as often as possible. 

One great way to obtain freelance jobs is to have pieces published that you can then forward to the potential employer.  The way I launched my freelancing career was to write my first article for a local newspaper for a ridiculously low fee.  I sent the published article along with my queries to editors and built a portfolio.

You can use your better hubs as support for your pitches.  Make sure to use the spell-checker feature.

A fellow hubber once recommended the book, "The Elements of Style" by Stunk and White for the rules of good writing.  I happened to have that book, which was one of my textbooks in college.

Once you feel confident in your writing, and decide to approach freelance writing sites, make sure to read the terms of service and the author's agreements carefully and don't proceed unless you do agree.  Make sure you don't get scammed.    Walk away from employers who ask you to write on spec (aka free).  If you're going to write for pay but don't know how to set your fees, take into account the amount of time you will spend researching and writing the piece vis a vis your living expenses.  Once you have that set as your base, increase your rate to reflect your level of experience and expertise.

I hope this information helps you.  Good luck!

3. czcreativetwist profile image61
    czcreativetwistposted 9 years ago

Wow, I'm going to try some of that advice!

4. J.T. profile image61
    J.T.posted 9 years ago

hi guru-c
    that helped a lot, that was really good advices, thank you

5. Guru-C profile image55
    Guru-Cposted 9 years ago

Hi, J.T.:

Thanks, I'm glad to help.
    By the way, I should have proofread better.  The authors of "The Elements of Style" are Strunk and White (and not how I wrote above).

6. Whitney05 profile image69
    Whitney05posted 9 years ago

That's great advice! What are the better freelance writting sites?

7. perfumer profile image60
    perfumerposted 9 years ago

Hi Whitney05,

These are the major sites where freelance writers get their gigs.

8. J.T. profile image61
    J.T.posted 9 years ago

hi perfumer.
    What about www.getafreelancer.com, do you know about this site.

9. mpothur profile image60
    mpothurposted 7 years ago
  10. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

You might want to check out these hubs from experienced freelancers here at hubpages
    http://hubpages.com/hub/My-Top-Ten-Writ … ce-Whining

1. Anamika S profile image70
      Anamika Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nice Hubs!

11. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

LOL! Oh Lissie, don't link him to mine! He'll never want to write! big_smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Part of the cunning plan, Pam - we put everybody else off writing for a living.

Less competition, better rates for us. wink

My next hub will be 'How Freelance Writing can cause Impotence' - that should put a few more people off.