jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Reprinting material from my blog

1. Mikadi profile image61
    Mikadiposted 4 years ago

Can I send a reprint of something I've already posted on my blog?  This has probably been asked already, but can't find an answer.

Thank you

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Send to who, or where?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image79
      cloverleaffarmposted 4 years ago in reply to this

From my experience, no you can not. I have tried several times to redo articles from my blogs, and they send it back as "duplicate content".

3. Maddie Ruud profile image81
      Maddie Ruudposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Mikadi,

You should only publish original, unique content on HubPages (ie, content that does not appear elsewhere on the web).  I hope this clarifies the policy for you.

Mikadiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much - appreciate it ~

4. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hello Mikadi.  The only flag I ever got was for duplicate content for exactly what you mentioned, copying from my blog.  What I did was read my blog post over, then working with the same ideas and concepts, I wrote a new article and added some additional information to it that came to mind, and then I published the hub here on HP.   I gained from this as I was able to see and write things I had forgotten in the original post. smile

Brilliant.  Thank you ~ this is what I'm thinking of as well.  All the best to you ~

2. PerlongMedical profile image61
    PerlongMedicalposted 4 years ago

I wrote a new article and added some additional information to it that came to mind

3. Cameron Corniuk profile image88
    Cameron Corniukposted 4 years ago

I actually ran into this problem just a few days ago, and it seems I am still suffering consequences for it. I had forgotten that I had posted a number of documents on Scribd in an effort awhile back to become more mobile with my work. About three days ago, I decided to post a number of those articles on HubPages. Within a few hours, about 8 got tagged for duplicate content. I was stunned.

Wait a second! I write all my own stuff. How is this duplicate?

Thanks goodness I made an investment awhile back in Copyscape premium credits. I found my Scribd account with all these things posted. Simple enough, I figured. I would delete the Scribd account and all would be well. Right? Oh, not so much. They still show up in Google's cache. I tried to remove them from Google cache, but each request was denied. So, now I have 10+ articles I have to wait to fall off of Google or re-write. Now, I can spin better than any of those fancy programs, but I'm a little behind on some work, so it'll have to wait.

Here's the crux of it. The articles are unpublished, but ever since it originally happened I have noticed a few things.

1. A drop in traffic. Now, I don't get a huge amount of traffic to start with, but some things are suddenly very hard to find in Google. That may be because some of the articles were indexed by Google in the short time they were up and I am suffering the phantom duplicate content penalty that *ahem* "does not exist" *koff* *koff*.

2. Earnings strangeness. While I lost traffic, I've still gotten more due to an influx from new content and helpful hubbers having a read. This started on Tuesday, and I saw an increase in earnings. The increase in overall traffic continued through Wednesday, but my earnings for Wednesday were not posted until today, they are still pending, AND they are at zero, where they definitely should not be based on traffic and previous earnings.

3. I have watched each of the hubs I posted gradually rise in score, which is the norm, but each day that has gone by, I have watched my overall Hubber score drop one or more points a day. A score that was consistently in the 90s even going months at a time without logging in is suddenly in the mid- to upper-80s. I sure would like a real look under than hood rather than innuendo, hints, and educated guesses.

So, not to totally high jack your thread here, Mikadi, but the background for my answer to your question. I most certainly would NOT repost anything that has been posted elsewhere. I mean, these things could all be highly coincidental, but I think the ramifications of doing so are much more far reaching and long lasting than we may realize.

wow - what a lesson - thank you for sharing...
      I will definitely post original material...
      thank you ~

4. GmaGoldie profile image87
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

You provided a complete cookbook of how to move articles and how NOT to move articles! Wow! Extremely insightful.

I am moving some articles to other sites and didn't even know where to start - this is most helpful. I will have to re-analyze my portfolio.

You noted the drop in hub score - I wonder IF our seasoned hubs are hurting us with Google traffic and our Hubber's score. I thought "new" content would have greater value and this disgusts me. I invested in the articles and now feel they may have more value if I move them and have a newer published date.

1. Cameron Corniuk profile image88
      Cameron Corniukposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi, GmaGoldie. I don't think our seasoned hubs are hurting us, unless they're low quality hubs. Mine have been doing well until this all started. My theory on it is--and I could be totally wrong--that the issue with dupe content may have caused me to lose rank in Google, so perhaps our mysterious hub scores are also based on our Google ranking.

Original content has greater value, but the value from a hub--like any site--needs to percolate a bit, before it's really there. And, by continually adding new material, it helps to increase a value of a domain (or, sub-domain, in this case). My articles have always started out with a relatively low score, but climbed quickly within the first few days of being posted. I do find it interesting that hubs that are unpublished have a fluctuating hub score, though. That, I would LOVE an explanation on.