jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Rescue a pup

1. Pat Merewether profile image79
    Pat Merewetherposted 7 years ago

I'm a rescue mom for Havanese puppies and just wanted to poke my head in and remind folks to check out a shelter or a rescue group when considering adopting a pet.  Even pure breeds like Havanese, Golden Retrievers and Siamese cats have rescue groups.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Pat, If I didn't already have 2 Cockers I would certainly check it out, however I will gladly let my friends know. By the way what are Havanese Puppies? What do they look like? smile

2. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

Me and the kids might finally have convinced the hubby to get a cat. Crossing my fingers!

We will definitely adopt from the shelter if we do. My family's dogs when I was growing up were all rescued, and so was my favorite cat, though the others were strays. My mom is a big softie and we lived in the country, but close enough to the city to get a lot of drop-offs. At one point we had 7 cats, and an even softer-hearted neighbor had nearly 30! (All spayed or neutered, don't worry.)

I have a hub about black dog syndrome. If anyone is thinking about adopting, please give special consideration to the big black dogs. They don't get enough love:

3. Pat Merewether profile image79
    Pat Merewetherposted 7 years ago

Eavens - Havanese are a rare and special breed of little dog sort of like a Bichon.  But in my book they're even better - they originated in Spain and were only owned by royalty and given as gifts or kept within an extended family.  They were the only animals allowed to be brought to Cuba when the Spanish settled there.  Then in the 60's many Cuban refugees brought their little dogs.  When the people started to age and die off there was a fear that the breed would die with them, so a couple (in Texas I think) adopted some from an aging Havanese owner and started breeding them.  Unfortunately, they sell for a lot of money so the puppy mills crank them out in horrible conditions - sometimes the cages are stacked four and five high so the urine and feces rain down on the lower cages.  I won't go into more grim details.

http://www.zazzle.com/havanese_rescue_c … 3648622143

Our son rescued two 'big black dogs' and one is still with him (the other died of some weird blood problem).  They are wonderful pets!

We're without a cat for the first time in 40 years of marriage (I got married at 12 - lol).  Anyway, our rescued kitty died of cancer last year, he was 15 years old.  =XD