jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Outside links

1. Mushi-san profile image59
    Mushi-sanposted 4 years ago

Is it possible to set up a link so that it opens a new window, rather than taking the person out of my site? I can do this with my Squarespace blog.

1. Dale Hyde profile image88
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have not seen that option here on HubPages, Musi-san.  I use it on other places I am at online and I like that option as well, as it leaves your page open and folks don't have to hunt you back down and such.

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

There used to be then the option was removed. However I believe you can manually add the code - but I don't know how so hopefully someone else will pop by and explain!

3. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

This hub by Sinea Pies explains how to do it manually. I'm afraid I am simply hopeless when it comes to coding and don't have the frame of mind to attempt it, but hope it will help everyone else. Maybe one of these days I will try to figure it out, Right now I'm so frustrated with trying to put a sign-up referral link on my profile page that I'm going to worry about trying this some other day.

1. WryLilt profile image86
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I think for now, people just have to the click 'open in another window/tab' thingy tongue it would be great if they didn't have to leave our page though wink oh the thoughts we could stir wink lol smile

5. Mushi-san profile image59
    Mushi-sanposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone! I went to Sinea's hub on this, and it was truly well-written and clear. However, when I followed the directions my link simply disappeared. I'm thinking that maybe even this work-around might have been disabled. A comment in the thread (which was closed about 8 months ago) said that this might be because search engines regard links that leave your page to be "true" links, more so than links that open a new window. I guess that would make sense.