jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Why Hubs?

1. mrizos profile image75
    mrizosposted 7 years ago

Can anyone tell me why hubpages is better than:

Self hosted wordpress?

I'm just trying to get a list of positives/negatives going. 

Personally I think that Google and every other search engine should LOVE hubpages for one fact...HUBPAGES LIMITS AFFILIATE LINK SPAMMING!!!  Limiting affiliate links makes for better content and trust imo.

Go over to Squidoo and look at a few lenses...links, links, and more affiliate links.  I just can't see how any search engine would place much value on domains like Squidoo since they are quickly becoming nothing but affiliate link spam farms...

Does anyone agree?

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree big_smile

2. Janet21 profile image79
      Janet21posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have two self hosted wordpress niche blogs, close to 100 lenses on Squidoo and I recently started making hubs.  I like all of these platforms and use them simultaneously.   I prefer to earn income from a variety of websites instead of being solely dependent on any one of them.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image87
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I think you are reading the clues.
    I have never tried those others, but this is a comfortable and welcoming place.

3. Lissie profile image86
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

I think hubpages gets better g love than squidoo for the reason you mentioned - less spam! Blogger and self-hosted WP - well its too broad to compare really. I don't get any search engine traffic to my blogspot blog - but thats because its too broad a topic and too competitive

Self-hosted WP is different - you own the sites: no one can take it away from you: its like owning your own home not leasing. There are no rules you can add any widget you want - you can upgrade or not - you can promote spam, sex, hate whatever.

My experience is that its easier to get traffic to hubs than to my own blogs - but I will often now use my hub as a trial to see if the keywords work and whether I can rank them - then I might build my own site around them.

Hubs can be all over the place - see my collection LOL - blogs definitly work best if they are tightly focussed or niche

Just my 2c

1. mrizos profile image75
      mrizosposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Lissie.  I'm starting to notice the same thing.  My hubs get a lot of natural traffic and have a great Adsense CTR.  This obviously increases if I do my keyword phrase to competition analysis.

4. rockinjoe profile image87
    rockinjoeposted 7 years ago

If you can get the amount of traffic that Hubpages provides to your self-hosted blog, you don't need either Hubpages or Squidoo. I liked Squidoo when it first got started, but it became increasingly difficult to use as new (and confusing) features were added. I still keep a couple of self-hosted sites, but I save the really good stuff for Hubpages.

Good luck

5. larryfreeman profile image85
    larryfreemanposted 7 years ago

Hi mrizos,

I wrote a blog on blogs vs. hubs which might help:

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 7 years ago in reply to this

hey great info.I tried to bookmark it like a hub but couldn't.any suggestions?

1. larryfreeman profile image85
        larryfreemanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi Stacie L,

At this time,  you can only use the new HubPages bookmarking with hubs.

I'll add your suggestion to our list of proposed features.

6. mrizos profile image75
    mrizosposted 7 years ago

Very cool, thanks Larry!

7. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Having a blog on Wordpress or Blogger can be a demoralizing experience if you don't know how to drive traffic to them.   I had two blogspot blogs and they got no traffic!

I then started writing - about the same subjects - on HubPages and although it took a little while to get any decent traffic, I got some hits immediately (unlike my blogs!).  So for a newbie, I think HubPages is a great place to start - as well as a good haven for the hobbyist, who doesn't have as much time to put into self-promotion.

1. Janet21 profile image79
      Janet21posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Marisa, were your blogs niche blogs on one topic or did they cover an array of different topics?   

That could make the difference.  I started my Kid's Birthday Parties blog in May.  All posts relate to kids birthday parties.  As Lizzie stated, blogs work better when they are tightIy focused.  I haven't done any promoting and I receive on average 5,000-9,000 unique visitors/month (mostly from Google) which I think is pretty good. 

Right now, though, Squidoo is my biggest money maker.  I  make about $1,000/month from my lenses.

8. CarpetDiem profile image78
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

Hubpages ROCKS. Blogs are a different animal. Kinda like comparing pizza and sushi. With hubpages you start with some exposure and the hubpage google luv behind you, with a blog you start from zero. Depends on where you want to go and how hard you want to work I suppose.

9. Linc2010 profile image60
    Linc2010posted 7 years ago

I find a combination of all of the above have given me the g love you all speak of.  Love HubPages and tell all my associates looking for natural help.